Sponsored

Add a manual transmission to the Ford Maverick. Bring it back manual transmissions..

RTRT

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Lariat Lux Pkg Moonroof Tremor Avalanche Grey
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hello all
First post.
Received my 23 leftover Lariat Tremor last week. First vehicle I have owned with an automatic since 1991.
Last 2 cars:
1995 Mercury Mystique V6 5 speed. That car went 368,000 miles. Awesome car.
Current car is 2013 Focus ST. It has 300,625 miles as of this morning. Not getting rid of it yet.
Gonna try out this Tremor. Disappointing there is no manual.
Doesn't Ford realize that we enthusiasts sell alot of cars for them ?
My Mystique and Focus ST have given Ford such a HUGE boost in reputation to friends, family and coworkers that they now have Ford on their shopping lists and have purchased Fords, which may not have happened otherwise.
It was a huge dilemma for me before buying the Tremor : Tremor or new VW GTI or used low mileage Focus ST.
Gonna try out this Tremor. But Focus ST is still my primary vehicle. Just so much fun and still absolutely reliable.
Sponsored

Art Vandelay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Lariat Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Man, a manual transmission would be awesome but I just don't see that happening. Manuals in pick up trucks are disappearing. Ford does not offer a manual in the Ranger and GM stopped offering a manual in the Colorado a few years ago. The Nissan Frontier also dropped the manual option for 2020.

I still love to drive a manual but I'm doing my best to accept the fact that they are on the verge of extinction. I know modern automatics are more advanced and fuel efficient but to me a manual is just more engaging to drive. Luckily I have the best of both worlds because I have my daily driver that's an automatic and then I have my fun car which is a Mustang convertible with a manual transmission.

crgator

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Buy a motorcycle. Problem solved. My Harley's 6-speed is more fun than my Maverick's eCVT. Of course, the Maverick is more practical.

Sponsored

Esteban88

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburu Outback, Maverick XL hybrid (ordered)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Most cars/trucks in Europe are manual. I don't live there but that's my experience from travels. Makes me wonder if the Maverick is sold in the UK or Europe.

burger_time

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mazda3
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I only want it if they can get the clutch to work with this rotary dial shifter thing 🤣

I'm coming from a MT on my previous car and I wasn't sure what I'd think of the dial shifter. Call me crazy but I love the dial shifter and rarely miss the MT experience. The dial is so easy to use. Right flighty lefty parky. Just be very careful and look down at what you're doing when you put it in reverse. My only complaint with the dial shifter is it leaves another relatively flat surface for my wife to pile crap on so I sometimes have to move her crap out of the way to get to the shifter and other center console controls.

Master Blaster

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Master
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
  1. An automatic with the engine management computer doing the shifting is quicker than any manual out there. Just measure the 1/4mile times to find out.
  2. The engine management computer backs off the timing, fuel feed and performs active turbo dumping during every shift. That means much longer engine life, a lighter transmission and much longer clutchpack lives. That's essentially impossible with a manual and you in charge instead of the computer.
  3. Fuel consumption with a modern automatic is quite a bit better than with a manual.
  4. You can't meet pollution requirements with a manual from any manufacturer today.
  5. There are almost no Customers who can use a manual today. That means no market.

EONR24

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Imagine a QUAIFE SEQUENTIAL TRANSMISSION in the Maverick. They made one for the Focus RS and ST. They also make very well made differentials that help to put the power down.

Sponsored

EONR24

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Most cars/trucks in Europe are manual. I don't live there but that's my experience from travels. Makes me wonder if the Maverick is sold in the UK or Europe.
no its not sold there but @RadioDoc has one in the UK I believe!

The-X

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
No matter what you want, the sales facts for a long time have shown less than 6% of buyers go with a manual.
A friend of mine put a manual in an Excursion, so it can be done!
People will even say they'll want one and then still go with the easier cheaper option.

It also makes literally no sense to manual a hybrid because there's not a drive train that way in the first place. It's supposed to be a perk of electric drive.

Like would you want a manual if it was a +$5000 option? Hm. Because that's probably what they'd charge to engineer up an option for about 6% or less of the market share which many would bail on it the second It's not a free option.

cavemold

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022 Eco 2.0
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Dead technology really it would be cool but it won’t happen
Sponsored