jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's apparently a regional thing. No 88 octane around here. But the concern is his reference to E88 which does not exist. E is the prefix for ethanol fuel which the hybrid can not run on. OP's apparent confusion could result in him damaging his engine were he to somehow manage to put E85 in his vehicle.

You might enjoy snarking but I'd rather he didn't destroy his truck. Maybe you should spend more time snarking on reddit?
Your snark is okay but others' in response to your incorrect information is not. Understood.

Now that we've cleared that up, back to the topic at hand...

While 87/88/89 octane sound like E85, they mean two different things.

Octane rating essentially has to do with "knocking" or "pinging" during combustion - higher octane ratings help to minimize this. Some engines are designed to run better or require higher octane ratings. That's the 87, 88, 89, etc. that you'll see on the pump. Unless otherwise specified, vehicles are designed to handle regular unleaded, which is often 87 octane. Maverick falls into this category, so it does not require more expensive fuels; regular unleaded is sufficient.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/octane.shtml

The E number is different. E is ethanol, basically a type of alcohol derived from corn. It's alleged to be better for the environment than petroleum products, though it's less efficient by volume. That's where E85 comes in - it's a blend of 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline. Due to the nature of ethanol, it requires the vehicle be designed for it, often carrying a "Flex Fuel Vehicle" branding. Neither Maverick engine is designed for this fuel. Do not use E85 in your Maverick.

Beyond that, unless otherwise specified, most gasoline in the US is sold as a blend, but in the opposite direction - mostly gasoline with a bit of ethanol. E10, probably the more common of the two, is 10% ethanol, 90% gasoline.

Some stations offer E0, which contains 0% ethanol. This is often preferred in use cases such as lawn equipment and other small motors. There's often little benefit in a street car to justify seeking it out and paying the higher price.

Then you get this "88 octane" stuff, which is also referred to as E15. Thus, it's 15% ethanol, 85% gasoline. Your Maverick is capable of handling E15/88 octane. However, keep in mind that the lower cost comes with lower fuel economy. Depending on the specifics, it may be cheaper to stick with 87 over 88, but you'd need to do some math to be sure.

All this to say:

No E85 in any Maverick
E10 regular unleaded (87 octane - higher elevations use a lower octane, but Ford recommends against it) is commonplace and perfectly fine.
E15 is also referred to as 88 octane, available in select markets. It's not likely to cause issues but may not be worth the cheaper price per gallon.

Feel free to experiment with higher grades of gas as well as E15/88 octane. Or just stick with regular unleaded/87. It's designed to handle any of those, so long as you avoid E85. And diesel.
Sponsored

Last edited:

NJBob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2003 MR2, 2019 Forrester, 1969 Z/28
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I belive the less alcohol the better. Just wish I could get pure gas around here in NJ.

Don806

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT, Also a 2000 F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Very interesting info, do higher altitude places require lower octane fuel in their vehicles?

fourtotwo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cooper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Hybrid First Edition
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's apparently a regional thing. No 88 octane around here. But the concern is his reference to E88 which does not exist. E is the prefix for ethanol fuel which the hybrid can not run on. OP's apparent confusion could result in him damaging his engine were he to somehow manage to put E85 in his vehicle.

You might enjoy snarking but I'd rather he didn't destroy his truck. Maybe you should spend more time snarking on reddit?
spend some time on wikipedia or something educating yourself about gasoline so you don't run into issues like regional availability of fuel.

Sponsored

OneAlienBoi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Can I safely use 88 octane gas in my Maverick Hybrid? Often have lower prices for the E88 gas in my local area. Will using iteffect my hybrid engine?
My state only has 85 and 91 so we usually use 85. Would use 87 but almost never see that in Utah.

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ethanol is not your friend.
E85 is your friend when you want to make 1500-3000 WHP on the street and have a fuel system with garden hose flow capability. For a stock Maverick truck, not so much......

;) ;)

A Dodge that drives Fords

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Taurus Ford Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This is a place in town that works on small engines and has no ethanol on all 3 grades. It's 5 miles out of my way so I only go there to get gas for my lawn mower and snowblower, maybe 3 times a year. Picture is from Google maps. Prices are usually ¢5 higher.

Ford Maverick 88 Octane Gas in Maverick Hybrid? Screenshot_20221130-180528~2

Motorjunkie

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 vette, 71Fiat 850, 91 Mercedes 500SL, 2001 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Um, there is no such thing as 88 octane or E88. There is 87 octane which is regular gas and fine .
There is E85 which is 85% alcohol and used ONLY in flex fuel vehicles and is NOT ok to use.

I strongly suggest you both read your owner's manual in detail and spend some time on wikipedia or something educating yourself about gasoline.
In my area, the gas pumps are marked 88 octane. I guess the numbers "identify as non-binary". jusayin lol

TedTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My use case is different enough that I used E85 since oddly available locally as is E0.
I do a-lot of truck idling in remote settings prior to hybrids so E85 was just less stinky to work outdoors and nearby that E85 truck. Since it was my daily driver to suite and tie office job and my weekend ranch work it worked out well to cut cost.
Hybrid Maverick fills this role so much better. I would so use E15 88 grade if available locally.

Sponsored

OpieGoneBad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid, 2023 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Unleaded 88 is E15. 15% Ethanol
What the manual says:

"Can I put E15 or E85 in my vehicle, and
how will it affect my fuel economy?

Your hybrid vehicle can use E15 (15%
ethanol, 85% gasoline) fuel, but you
may notice slightly reduced fuel
economy because ethanol contains
less energy per gallon than gasoline.
Your hybrid vehicle is not designed to
use E85 (85% ethanol)."

Some articles claim that the mileage difference between unleaded 87 (10% ethanol) and unleaded 88 (15% ethanol) is less than 2%
I accidentally put a tank of 88 in my hybrid last week. It made a significant drop in my mileage. Was seeing 42 MPG average on the gauge. With this junk fuel it dropped to around 35-36 MPG. Can't wait until I get this junk burned up and refuel with 87. That extra 5% ethanol makes a lot more than a 2% difference in my case!

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I accidentally put a tank of 88 in my hybrid last week. It made a significant drop in my mileage. Was seeing 42 MPG average on the gauge. With this junk fuel it dropped to around 35-36 MPG. Can't wait until I get this junk burned up and refuel with 87. That extra 5% ethanol makes a lot more than a 2% difference in my case!
Ya, that and it got colder outside!!
LoL!
🤣

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Ethanol is not junk.
Ethanol is not corrosive.
Ethanol can go in your body.
Ethanol is vodka.

Try putting gasoline in your body (no don't) just imagine the difference in "corrosion" and "poison".

Ethanol is a small, simple, clean molecule that when burned produces two clean molecules: water and carbon dioxide, the same "junk" you just exhaled.

If gasoline didn't exist (and one day it will run out) you'd ALL be calling ethanol a godsend.

Ethanol puts the premium in "premium".
You've all be duped. Brainwashed by big oil companies.

NJBob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2003 MR2, 2019 Forrester, 1969 Z/28
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
check https://www.pure-gas.org/ for ethanol free gasoline. i found a few in upstate ny
Thanks there are a few in NJ but all far from me. I have an old Z/28 I mix Racing gas with pump premium but costs a fortune. Most of the ones on the list are aviation fuel. The Camaro still needs leaded gas. Also no e15 in NJ anyway. But will not use it.
Sponsored