Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I think Ford hit it right on design. No reason for different cab options or bed lengths. Niche market was hit. Maybe a different manufacturer will come out with a single cab long bed. I'm sure they would shut it down after a year. No way would it get the following the Maverick has at its current design.
The ranger had that configuration and it was a bit of a hit.
Sponsored

Reactions: fmt

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

interesting, i applaud his optimism but doubt that Ford has ANY near term plans to add another body style to the Mav. the upfront costs in stamping equipment, dies and design work are enormous. plus the added complexity to the production process are hard to justify at this point in the model cycle life IMHO
there would be very low retail sales of a supercab and even as long as a 5.5' bed.

but I would bet fleet sales could be huge. little need for the rear seats in trades or almost any business use except ride-sharing.

TOMCATFIGHTER

First Name
DitchPickle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid but maybe AWD Soon
Engine
Undecided
The ranger had that configuration and it was a bit of a hit.
2 completely different markets if you ask me. The Maverick fits more day to day and weekend business than a Ranger for a bigger base of people.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
He could have asked a dealer to borrow one for the show with the idea that it was available to a buyer at the show as soon as the show was over. My guess is he did not try very hard.
I don't think so, judging from the perceived urgency to minimize the time the maverick was in dealers possession. Do not know the reason may have been the fact I was eighty and the saleslady was worried that I might not make it until the next day. May have been a $10 bonus for the agent or maybe it would open up an additional allotment?

Wilbur

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 Ford F100
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Interesting pictures of the single-cab European Ranger.

One reason why a single-cab Maverick will have a hard time in the US market is the rake on the windscreen. Look at the profile photo of the Euro Ranger, and note how the cab isn't a box, but a triangle shape in profile. Compare that to a traditional truck, such as in my profile picture, where the cab is a box shape. Americans have expectations on what makes a truck attractive, and that sloped brow on the Euro Ranger isn't it. The single-cab Jeep Gladiator that CTYankee posted on the first page is a lot closer to our ideal for a truck.

However, the windscreen in modern trucks is raked back for aero purposes, and the rake is one of the elements (among many, many other advances) that helps trucks like the Maverick achieve 40 MPG, not the 7 MPG fuel economy of my 1967. The rake on a modern twin-cab truck like the current Maverick works in profile only because the second set of seats behind the first and the longer roof makes the profile a box. Change that weird triangle-shape, raked single cab in the Euro Ranger into a good-looking box, and it hurts fuel economy.

So Ford has to make a decision with a single-cab truck - maintain fuel economy at the expense of an off-putting profile, or else make the truck look good in profile with a single box cab, and watch fuel economy suffer as parasitic drag increases.

It works the other way, too. Look at this dual-cab 60s Power Wagon in comparison to the Maverick. The box on the Power Wagon is too long without a raked windshield, whereas the Maverick's raked windshield works to soften the long box a little bit. Not as good as a traditional single-cab truck from the 60s-80s, but not as odd as the Power Wagon or the triangle on the Euro Ranger.

Ford Maverick 2025 Maverick refresh and other rumors (from display manager at auto show) Area 51 a

Last edited:

Sponsored

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I would gladly trade for a single cab hybrid with a 6'-7' bed. The single cab Ranger should be brought here too, since it is already being built.

Dudley

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Grand Cherokee
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
In the recent spy photos, it looks like the headlights have been moved to the top of the housing by the bottom of the hood, rather than the bottom of the housing near the bumper. I think I saw a projector also.
I hope they keep them where they are. The higher up the LED's, the tougher it is to see clearly when you are coming from the opposite direction, especially if moisture is around. The earlier Ford full sized with the stacked and both on even on dim I absolutely hate! Personally I wish they would go back to regular headlights. For cost, yes, but also because, as was brought up in another discussion, they cause greater reflection off of heavy rain and snow, making it harder to see the road when driving.

Ron Neal

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I sold my 20 ext cab Ranger to buy a 22 Maverick and looked again at a 24 Ranger and they didn't offer the ext cab so bought another Maverick, If Ford offered a extended cab Mav I would buy it tomorrow but since Ford nixed the Ranger ext cab I am not holding my breath for a 25 Mav ext cab.

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

At factories that aren't in the US/North America.
Tooling still exists. Wouldn't be that hard to ship the unique panels by container loads. Wouldn't be that many.

Sponsored

thev8man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid XL, 2023 XLT Tremor
Engine
Undecided
Clubs

I spent some time in the Ford booth at the Northeast Auto Expo today. The show itself wasn't all that much but I did get to have an interesting conversation with a Ford representative whose Ford name badge identified him as a Display Manager.

The first topic of conversation was the lack of a Maverick in the display area, since pretty much all other models were present. He told me he still can't get a Maverick for the shows unless a local dealer has a refused order on hand. So, some level of scarcity continues even at the corporate level.

The next thing we talked about was the upcoming refresh. It sounded like it's primarily a cosmetic refresh for strengthening the brand family appearance across the various truck models. However, he did seem optimistic that it could include AWD for the hybrid models. No definitive statement, of course, just an apparent optimism.

Finally, I mentioned my interest in any of the truck manufacturers producing a standard cab, longer-bed version of their small truck models. I expected him to say (as did the reps of other brands) "good luck with that". But he didn't. He told me that he gets that comment a lot and that "there's talk" about it at the corporate level. He also noted that, if such a thing were to happen, it would be unlikely to be a true standard cab and more likely to be an extended cab. He seemed to think that an extended cab version with a 5' bed is conceivable for both Maverick and Ranger. Again, it was a mostly speculative conversation but it was interesting that the idea wasn't met with immediate rejection. Hope springs eternal.
Booyah 👊🏽 😁 👍🏽 🇺🇸

thev8man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid XL, 2023 XLT Tremor
Engine
Undecided
Clubs

I sold my 20 ext cab Ranger to buy a 22 Maverick and looked again at a 24 Ranger and they didn't offer the ext cab so bought another Maverick, If Ford offered a extended cab Mav I would buy it tomorrow but since Ford nixed the Ranger ext cab I am not holding my breath for a 25 Mav ext cab.
Yea extended cab is not going to happen. The uni body platform doesn't allow for it. But the Ranger platform in on a frame and is shared with another framed vehicle.

Booyah 👊🏽 😁 👍🏽 🇺🇸, you'll need to get a wrecked one.

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

2 completely different markets if you ask me. The Maverick fits more day to day and weekend business than a Ranger for a bigger base of people.
hybrid changes everything for work trucks.

the difference in operating cost (insurance and gas) between a ranger and a maverick hybrid work truck could be double or more.

OP
OP
CTYankee

CTYankee

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.catvert68.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So, did you specifically ask about a Maverick ST or something with greater than 250 HP?

And if not... Why the hell not? 😂

😭😭😭
Honestly, I didn't even think of it in spite of how many times it's been mentioned here. I humbly ask forgiveness. ;)
Sponsored