Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

EPA requirements are based upon a formula using the wheelbase and track width. There is a reason the Maverick was made with as long of a wheelbase that it has.

In the modern auto industry, the first priority of any manufacturer is to satisfy the various regulatory agencies - what the customer wants comes second.
If there is one industry that needs deregulation(everybody ssshhhh, im not talking politics!) its the auto industry. Not that it needs a clean slate. Ole Musky or someone like him would just buy the new rules to fit himself. It needs a regular series of re thinking negotiations. If OEs, the NHTSA, enthusiasts, commercial buyer reps, racers, environmental and safety experts, law enforcement, soccer moms, and average Joes all with a basic engineering or mechanical background sat down for a series of talks. Im sure they do this to some degree anyways but im pretty sure they leave out a few key representatives. Set it up democratically, giving all members equal voices and votes. I think we would get a new set of rules for each vehicle segment. We might even end up with new segments.
If they set this up to convein every 4 years(for vehicle cycles) and spend a few months hashing it out then going back to their teams(or peers) and hashing it out again.

In the end it could end up more regulated, but atleast it would be regulated by people that care about cars and personal transportation in ways that city dwelling technical data analysts never could.
Sponsored

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

They more or less use the same hybrid system in an AWD configuration on the Escape just by bolting on a PTU to the transmission, driveshaft, rear drive unit, and CVs. No "overstraining the electric motor", engine mounts, or generating excessive heat.
Dont forget about Lincoln. Overall weight(stress) should be even closer there.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

It would be neat if they made a work truck model. Rear seat delete with a flat storage area back there and do a kind of panel wagon treatment to the rear windows. No tooling necessary!
Im thinking a solid door blank and a gull wing or full 90 swing setup for the rear doors. Gull wing would provide shade or a full 90 degree of even a 120 degree rear hinged door would make enclosed cargo that much easier to get to and set up for slide outs. Could probably even see a coach built roll up door and slide out setup. Lots of options with out much more than notching for hinges and such.

Pro power onboard aswell. Thats the one thing a refresh needs. Its also basically a parts bin upgrade.

Sarah Davis

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Sarah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Fusion, 2017 Cmax
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I spent some time in the Ford booth at the Northeast Auto Expo today. The show itself wasn't all that much but I did get to have an interesting conversation with a Ford representative whose Ford name badge identified him as a Display Manager.

The first topic of conversation was the lack of a Maverick in the display area, since pretty much all other models were present. He told me he still can't get a Maverick for the shows unless a local dealer has a refused order on hand. So, some level of scarcity continues even at the corporate level.

The next thing we talked about was the upcoming refresh. It sounded like it's primarily a cosmetic refresh for strengthening the brand family appearance across the various truck models. However, he did seem optimistic that it could include AWD for the hybrid models. No definitive statement, of course, just an apparent optimism.

Finally, I mentioned my interest in any of the truck manufacturers producing a standard cab, longer-bed version of their small truck models. I expected him to say (as did the reps of other brands) "good luck with that". But he didn't. He told me that he gets that comment a lot and that "there's talk" about it at the corporate level. He also noted that, if such a thing were to happen, it would be unlikely to be a true standard cab and more likely to be an extended cab. He seemed to think that an extended cab version with a 5' bed is conceivable for both Maverick and Ranger. Again, it was a mostly speculative conversation but it was interesting that the idea wasn't met with immediate rejection. Hope springs eternal.
Ford usually only sends vehicles to the large shows(i.e. Chicago, Detroit, LA, New York, SEMA), so the smaller shows will typically get a local dealer to bring vehicles over for the show floor. this means that unless the local dealer has a maverick in stock you will not see one at the auto shows.

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
New York is in two weeks, and it's the right time of the year for Ford and Hyundai to show their refreshes. I have my fingers crossed. Mark your calendars. 29 March. OTOH, makers have been doing less and less even at the major auto shows. It's a lot cheaper to do a reveal at a journalist junket. And the OEM also gets to brainwash them in isolation for that reveal day.

Sponsored

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford usually only sends vehicles to the large shows(i.e. Chicago, Detroit, LA, New York, SEMA), so the smaller shows will typically get a local dealer to bring vehicles over for the show floor. this means that unless the local dealer has a maverick in stock you will not see one at the auto shows.
At least they still participate, it seems most of the Germans except for Volkswagen don't even bother with shows anymore. No Audis, Bimmers, or Mercedes in sight. I'm told instead they are funding "influencers" to promote the products.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Bummer! So I was thinking maybe Ford would have a teaser at the NY auto show, but its confirmed they only displayed a 2023 model.

So the best we have right now are artist rendering guesses of what a refresh MIGHT look like:
Ford Maverick 2025 Maverick refresh and other rumors (from display manager at auto show) MavRendering.JPG
Ford Maverick 2025 Maverick refresh and other rumors (from display manager at auto show) GuessRenderingInside
Sponsored