stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Really? What octane are you using? What mode are you driving in?

I’ve had a hybrid XL, traded it in for a hybrid XLT, then traded it in for a hybrid Lariat. They are all getting around 42.5 mpg mainly in city driving. I don’t do too much highway driving. I use eco mode almost all the time and 87 octane every time.
We're at 50.4mpg after ~4500 miles. At least half of those miles are my (lead-footed) wife's all highway commute to work. All 87 octane.

Definite decrease in efficiency with the cold weather. We have snow tires on our other car so it is the primary commuter until it warms up.
Sponsored

Mach E CP

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Conrad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav Hybrid Lariat, 2021 Mach E Prem ExtAWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I’ve had a hybrid XL, traded it in for a hybrid XLT, then traded it in for a hybrid Lariat. They are all getting around 42.5 mpg mainly in city driving. I don’t do too much highway driving. I use eco mode almost all the time and 87 octane every time.
I would’ve expected the 2023 sticker to be better than 2022. After eleven months (26,500 miles) of tracking with the trip odometer, I’m averaging 41.2 mpg, with about a 50/50 city/hwy mix…and probably a little more hwy than city.

For the naysayers who refute the onboard MPG accuracy, I’ve tracked 7 months of continuous at-the-pump calculations, and I’m averaging 40.7 mpg. I expect these numbers to be even closer when I finish the full 12 months at-the-pump calculations (to include all four seasons of weather).

23MAVLariatAWD

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RECEIVED '23 Hybrid Lariat Mav Oxford White BAP
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thought I read somewhere it was recommended to use higher octane in the hybrid - does it matter or make a difference in mileage mpg?

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

87 octane just the normal drive mode and the AC all day long😉

SpaceCowboy

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Cactus Gray
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Most likely the Government (EPA) is using the "New Math" that is taught in school now days..
Fuel economy is a rather intricate process. I'll have to see what has changed. I know we've had a few Mavericks for FE testing. The first model year we got a higher number than Ford. That's how they got the 42 mpg number. The testing for this is done at the NVFEL in Ann Arbor MI.

Sponsored

wax87

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Avalon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I am one of the lucky one who got scheduled early for my 2023 order. I was able to see the window sticker for the first time today and noticed that the EPA city mileage has gone from 42 to 40. Has anyone else noticed this/ what the cause might be?
Screenshot from 2022-12-10 17-31-09.png
Screenshot from 2022-12-10 17-31-43.png
what about other Hybrid from Ford?

NJ Pinelands

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Have any of you noticed any difference between brand name, Exxon, Sunoco, Gulf, etc. and mini-mart gas, Quick Check, Royal Farms, Wawa, Bucees, etc.?

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Thought I read somewhere it was recommended to use higher octane in the hybrid - does it matter or make a difference in mileage mpg?
That's for the EcoBoost, not the hybrid. Turbo engines love high octane.

RockHoundTX

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 F350
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It is somewhat hard to compare MPG unless you live at the same elevation and have the same driving habits. I drive like an old granny (stay at 65MPH regardless of max speed limit) and have never had a vehicle where I did not consistently get 2-3 MPG more that what the sticker said. That being said, when I travel to Utah (or other states with high elevation), I tend to get an additional 10%-15% better gas mileage than here in Texas. Seen this on 3 different vehicles across over a dozen trips. Not sure if this is from less air resistance, different octane (85 in mountains vs 87 here in Texas), or something else. This assumes no AC on and mostly freeway driving so as apples to apples as the road allows. By comparison, driving from Texas to Florida and back and my MPG is pretty much identical to Texas. Hopefully will have an opportunity to test this in a Maverick one of these days (been 14 months since I ordered and still no VIN :-(.

zach57x

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I thought of a theory while I was just washing my hybrid. They removed some of the active aero shutters due to the fire hazard recall, could the decrease in mpg be associated with that?

Sponsored

Whatthewhat11

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Could the alterations made to the grill account for the lower highway mpg estimate? I refer specifically to the removal of some grille shutters as part of the recall that was issued in July for the 2022's.

https://pickuptrucktalk.com/2022/07...n-corsair-recall-fire-risk-for-100k-vehicles/
That's not an issue on late model 22's or 23's. My '22 hybrid built September still has the grill shutters. Also I highly doubt the AGS has any tangible effect on city MPG. Probably not even "active" until Highway speeds

Impetus19

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazda 3, 1979 CJ5 360 3spd, 2015 prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I thought of a theory while I was just washing my hybrid. They removed some of the active aero shutters due to the fire hazard recall, could the decrease in mpg be associated with that?
I would think that would impact highway mpg more than city driving. But who knows, certainly could have something to do with it.

Nittany

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah, I noticed the same thing on the window sticker I got a couple of days ago (see below).

Ford Maverick 2023 Maverick Hybrid Window Sticker Shows Lower MPG Than 2022 Model (city mileage went from 42 to 40 MPG) 1670810378036

zach57x

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

That's not an issue on late model 22's or 23's. My '22 hybrid built September still has the grill shutters. Also I highly doubt the AGS has any tangible effect on city MPG. Probably not even "active" until Highway speeds
Are you sure you have all your shutters? Mine was also built September and I’m missing a few
Sponsored