Sponsored

Deleted member 1370

I am assuming you have AWD also - as of Monday they will not build tow package without AWD even if it was already scheduled.
Correct I had AWD initially with my order on July 16th. I had a feeling off the bat even at the beginning that FWD with the 4k towing package seemed a tad fishy and off. I personally would rather have the AWD as well. Im sick of fishtailing in the snow of CT winters so itll be nice to not have to worry as much with AWD in the snow as well. Long story short...yes I did choose AWD with the Ecoboost and 4k towing package
Sponsored

ttthhasdf

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is the lightest trailer with a bathroom that I've found. The GVWR is 2,500 pounds, The uvw is 1,707. I *think* that empty a hybrid mav could pull this - I am not sure about how the front square footage works with a curved front like that. The length x height would be over 65'2 so that would be way out of league.
https://travelliterv.com/rvs/2021-rove-lite-travel-trailers/

I think a scamp 13' with trailer may also be possible but it is hard to find info. I think a nucamp tab with bathroom is too heavy.
https://www.scamptrailers.com/showroom/13-standard-trailers#layout-2

Last edited:

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav Hybrid XLT, '17 Chevy Colo Z71 diesel
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think a scamp 13' with trailer may also be possible but it is hard to find info.
I contacted Scamp. Order now and it builds in 2024.

And we thought Mavericks builds were taking too long. Hah!

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
This is the lightest trailer with a bathroom that I've found. The GVWR is 2,500 pounds, The uvw is 1,707. I *think* that empty a hybrid mav could pull this - I am not sure about how the front square footage works with a curved front like that. The length x height would be over 65'2 so that would be way out of league.

I think a scamp 13' with trailer may also be possible but it is hard to find info. I think a nucamp tab with bathroom is too heavy.
Ah, see that’s why definitions and words are important. What you think of and what I think of as a teardrop are opposite ends of the sprctrum. When I think teardrop I think:
Ford Maverick 2022 Maverick Trailer Towing & GVWR / GCWR Guide 57D465E3-3137-4D71-B5EA-A225287D0814

what you think (I believe is still a teardrop) is the complete opposite end of the spectrum.

a hybridcan pull my image teardrop all day long. I wouldn’t try yours at all. I would with AWD and tow, but definitely not a hybrid,

Sponsored

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In Ontario, if you're driving a pickup with a trailer or even a rental cube van, you HAVE to go to the scales.
Rational Canadians! Next they will go metric.

WasChops

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Ltd + Maverick Lariat Hybr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

hcforde

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Hawley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Insight, E350, Toyota Sequoia
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I was surprised to find this at the bottom of the page for the travel Lite RV's " *NO WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION HITCH or SWAY CONTROL HITCH is to be used! This will void the warranty.” "

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav Hybrid XLT, '17 Chevy Colo Z71 diesel
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was surprised to find this at the bottom of the page for the travel Lite RV's " *NO WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION HITCH or SWAY CONTROL HITCH is to be used! This will void the warranty.” "
That is odd.

No weight distribution may make sense. The tongue could get into negative territory because their trailer is so light (taking weight off the towing rear axle). I've never seen that happen.

But no sway control?! Almost all camper tailers can benefit from minimizing sway. Perhaps they assume all modern tow vehicles have electric sway built-in, and so they mean no friction bar should be mounted to their frame. I put a friction sway bar on my light 1,800# Aframe for insurance.

Eitherway I'd avoid them with that kind of statement.

ttthhasdf

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ah, see that’s why definitions and words are important. What you think of and what I think of as a teardrop are opposite ends of the sprctrum. When I think teardrop I think:
57D465E3-3137-4D71-B5EA-A225287D0814.jpeg

what you think (I believe is still a teardrop) is the complete opposite end of the spectrum.

a hybridcan pull my image teardrop all day long. I wouldn’t try yours at all. I would with AWD and tow, but definitely not a hybrid,
I don't understand. Your picture is what I think a teardrop is. I don't think I ever said tear drop. I was talking about a trailer with a bathroom. If there would be one that was possible. I agree that there are many teardrops that would be towable by hybrid mavs, but I meant trailers with bathrooms.

Sponsored

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't understand. Your picture is what I think a teardrop is. I don't think I ever said tear drop. I was talking about a trailer with a bathroom. If there would be one that was possible. I agree that there are many teardrops that would be towable by hybrid mavs, but I meant trailers with bathrooms.
Ah, someone earlier mentioned teardrop trailers and the difficulty of towing one with a hybrid. I just got the poster wrong (likely jumped forward an extra page) and so lost the connection. There are apparently some people who consider any trailer with a curved (top to bottom) frontal surface and sloped rear to be a teardrop, and as such the weight can exceed 3k lbs which is obviously too much for the hybrid.

MikeLawry

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hyundai Elantra
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Can someone with towing experience please tell me how Important the frontal area restrictions are. I've been unable to really get a concrete answer.

The Ecoboost has a max of 40sq ft frontal area but says something like "exceeding this will greatly effect performance". Are we talking about just a reduction in mpg or possible damage to the vehicle. It would seem the only kind of camper with less than 40 sq ft frontal area are teardrops, Which even some of those are pushing is.

For reference I want to be able to tow something like this

https://www.jayco.com/rvs/travel-trailers/2022-jay-flight-slx-7/

giddyup

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

MikeLawry

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hyundai Elantra
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm no trailering expert, but I think that trailer might be pushing the limits of a tow-equipped Mav, once you add passengers, cargo, fuel, water, etc. Even more so if you plan on mountain or desert trips.
Yea the dry weight is def pushing it, but im thinking there are trailers with comparable physical size with a weight of around 2800lbs that i think should be fine from a weight aspect. Im more interested in the frontal area.

Probity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Scab 2.7EB, 2017 CR-V
Can someone with towing experience please tell me how Important the frontal area restrictions are. I've been unable to really get a concrete answer.

The Ecoboost has a max of 40sq ft frontal area but says something like "exceeding this will greatly effect performance". Are we talking about just a reduction in mpg or possible damage to the vehicle. It would seem the only kind of camper with less than 40 sq ft frontal area are teardrops, Which even some of those are pushing is.

For reference I want to be able to tow something like this
https://www.jayco.com/rvs/travel-trailers/2022-jay-flight-slx-7/
I don’t know how you can get a real concrete answer, too many things we don’t know. You already know the impacts – more frontal area = more crappy mpg, and more grunt needed for the tow vehicle. Why does Ford specify a max. of 40 ft2 (why not 38.2 or 55.63 ft2) frontal area for the Maverick + trailer? Don’t know.

If we knew the Maverick real drag coefficient (Cd), we could figure out how much more aerodynamic HP is required at a certain speed as you increase frontal area:
*Cd = (drag force) / (0.5 x air density x velocity squared x frontal area)
*Aerodynamic drag force (D) = Frontal Area (S) x drag coefficient (Cd) x Air density (p) x speed squared (V2)
*Therefore power (P) to overcome that force = D x V = 0.5 x S x Cd x p x V3

So if we knew Cd we could figure out P for whatever velocity (speed) you want to assume. But we don’t know Cd, and even if we did, what speed are you going to assume, and what does that resulting increase in HP needed to overcome aero drag really mean regards your engine power, engine cooling, etc?

MPG obviously an impact, but not a limiting factor. I doubt Ford cares if you got only 5 mpg on your tow vehicle as long as the vehicle was actually capable of towing whatever load you applied to it without having the instrument display light up like a Christmas tree with error codes and going into “limp mode”.

My suspicion is that engine cooling will get you. Ford has tested the Maverick (both Hybrid and EB) in line with SAE J2807 towing standard (with its infamous Davis Dam test), so I’m pretty confident that 40 ft2 combined frontal area is a good number as far as that goes. But if you want to know if you could “really” tow a 60 ft2 (tow vehicle + trailer) frontal area, can’t help you.

FWIW, from Caterpillar some numbers on aero HP and fuel consumption at different speeds for a “typical” car and big rigs:
LEGT6380.qxd (electracold.com)
Sponsored