Sponsored

2022 Maverick towing Airstream Basecamp trailer - pic

Atisko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan rogue
Anyone else think it’s odd to pair a trailer that large and expensive with such a frugal truck?
The size is fine:the trailer is more than double the cost of the truck which is crazy!!!
When you think about all that goes into making the truck it shows you how much of a rip off you’re getting whacked on trailer!!!!

Atisko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan rogue
There are ways around it keeping in mind GVWR and GCVWR. Remove the Propane tanks from the tongue and either place them in the bed of the truck or behind the axles of Airstream. You can probably have a tongue weight of 370-380#. Watch how you load your trailer, know the weight of everything you put in it. In an RV a lot of what you haul along with you never gets used. Leave it behind.
Somewhere bad advice you don’t want less than 10% tongue weight on the truck! They may have a model a little lighter and cheaper than the X..

Vongreg

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid Camry, chevy 2500 HD, Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Somewhere bad advice you don’t want less than 10% tongue weight on the truck! They may have a model a little lighter and cheaper than the X..
agreed on the 10% tongue weight and before typing I should have looked up the weight of the airstream. If indeed over 4k pounds (4350#) you don’t have room to shift weight. Plus you are over specs for the towing limits of the truck. But I just did and gross trailer weight is 3500#. 2700# base weight including propane and battery. Most of your tongue weight is propane and battery. You have wiggle room and again know your weights and you can tow safely.

Sponsored

Atisko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan rogue
agreed on the 10% tongue weight and before typing I should have looked up the weight of the airstream. If indeed over 4k pounds (4350#) you don’t have room to shift weight. Plus you are over specs for the towing limits of the truck. But I just did and gross trailer weight is 3500#. 2700# base weight including propane and battery. Most of your tongue weight is propane and battery. You have wiggle room and again know your weights and you can tow safely.
I had a 6500#Boat bought in LI Dealer, people set it up w/not enough tongue weight;it was bouncing back-and-forth(my first towing experience) weighed it on a scale,figured it out myself worked perfect after shift weight forward.
Notice you can buy this airstream 3500 pounds empty or 16 footer 2600 pounds

Vongreg

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid Camry, chevy 2500 HD, Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had a 6500#Boat bought in LI Dealer, people set it up w/not enough tongue weight;it was bouncing back-and-forth(my first towing experience) weighed it on a scale,figured it out myself worked perfect after shift weight forward.
Notice you can buy this airstream 3500 pounds empty or 16 footer 2600 pounds
There is a lot to towing. It isn’t simply attach it to the truck and go. Having an adequate tow vehicle for what you are pulling is important. I would rather over truck than get by. I am lucky enough to say I don’t foresee ever towing with my truck. I didn’t get one for that purpose in mind .

when you get to the 20’ base camp at 3500# you are edging towards not having enough truck. Best to stay with the 16 footer. An RV Salesman will tell you flat out it will pull it no problem. Weight, weight distribution and trailer length vs tow vehicle all play a part in safe towing.

Atisko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan rogue
There is a lot to towing. It isn’t simply attach it to the truck and go. Having an adequate tow vehicle for what you are pulling is important. I would rather over truck than get by. I am lucky enough to say I don’t foresee ever towing with my truck. I didn’t get one for that purpose in mind .

when you get to the 20’ base camp at 3500# you are edging towards not having enough truck. Best to stay with the 16 footer. An RV Salesman will tell you flat out it will pull it no problem. Weight, weight distribution and trailer length vs tow vehicle all play a part in safe towing.
I think how often you’d be towing and how far is a big consideration.Components aren’t really going to heat up short distance. If I was just re-positioning boat about a few miles across town twice a year or positioning seasonal trailer I feel fine going 4500-4700. If you intend to use a Commercial every day would limit to <2500.
Sponsored