Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hyundai Tuscon NLine
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford is confident in the Hybrid components it looks like

Warranty and Maintenance Coverage
The Maverick offers the same standard warranty package of other new Fords, which is fairly basic and offers no complimentary scheduled maintenance program.

• Limited warranty covers 3 years or 36,000 miles
  • Powertrain warranty covers 5 years or 60,000 miles
  • Hybrid component warranty covers 8 years or 100,000 miles
  • No complimentary scheduled maintenance
If I were hyper-focused on getting a new small AWD pickup, I'd probably be going with the Santa Cruz, primarily because of their 10yr 100,000mi warranty. The F150 Lighting is something I would LOOVE to have, but I can't fathom having a car payment that is higher than my mortgage (of course, my mortgage is lower than most pay for rent, but that's a story for a different forum). I was still a little skeptical about getting a Ford hybrid, until I noticed the 100k mi Hybrid warranty Ford offers. So, when Ford announced their base engine as the Hybrid I was like "What? FRICK YEAH!!"
Sponsored

NavyBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
This is a great little truck, although I am perplexed about why Ford isn't offering a hybrid AWD version out of the gate since they already have it for the Escape. This will be a hunting truck for me so I will be holding out for AWD. I would prefer plug-in AWD but would probably go for the hybrid AWD since the mileage is so much better than any other truck on the road.
I read that Ford did not want to "jerry rig" the escape unit into the Maverick but wanted to design the AWD to the Maverick.

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
I read that Ford did not want to "jerry rig" the escape unit into the Maverick but wanted to design the AWD to the Maverick.
Exactly. They want a more capable awd system. Hence the higher towing cap vs escape hybrid FWD.
so designing a new system cost money. They want some money back before they invest that much.

TooManyVehicles

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 F150 XLT, 21 BS Badlands, 22 Mav Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
... I can't bring myself to dealing with the atrocious MPG 4wd trucks get. I had planned on getting a Tuscon, or Rav4 hybrid next year when I buy, but I'd much, much rather have a high-trim Maverick hybrid FWD for the utility of the truck bed.
My F150 w/3.5L Eco-Boost 4WD has averaged just north of 20 MPG over its lifetime (65k miles). Half of those miles have been in the winter with E rated Nokiam snows plus 400# of weight in the bed. While I think the AWD Mavericks MPG will be better, from what I've read it won't be tons better.

Having said that, one thing is for sure with the Eco-Boost engines. It is ECO, or BOOST, not both at the same time. I'm pretty good at not getting too much on it and try to keep in under 75 on the Interstate. For a while, I kept a boost gauge mounted in it (using an old Android phone + ECM Ultra Gauge Blue) and it became quite apparent that it didn't take much to get the boost going and the MPG dropping).

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My F150 w/3.5L Eco-Boost 4WD has averaged just north of 20 MPG over its lifetime (65k miles). Half of those miles have been in the winter with E rated Nokiam snows plus 400# of weight in the bed. While I think the AWD Mavericks MPG will be better, from what I've read it won't be tons better.

Having said that, one thing is for sure with the Eco-Boost engines. It is ECO, or BOOST, not both at the same time. I'm pretty good at not getting too much on it and try to keep in under 75 on the Interstate. For a while, I kept a boost gauge mounted in it (using an old Android phone + ECM Ultra Gauge Blue) and it became quite apparent that it didn't take much to get the boost going and the MPG dropping).
the turbos in the ecoboost are SMALL! peak torque from 1500-4500rpm in most cases. Meaning BOOST. So you really have to keep the revs Down to keep out of boost.
Which is why Ford only offers 10 speed or 8 speed transmissions. Keep the revs down every shift

Sponsored

808Rider

First Name
Gee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
I just hope it really gets close to the target 40mpg. That's one of the biggest draws for me. That's better than most gas compact cars, like the Accord and Camry

Shecster

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1930 Model A Ford - 1971 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
most of those problems were with the Cmax. Fords first test with this set up. It was overhauled for the Fusion. No major transmission issues there. Many reports of 200k+ miles with no major issues.
Correct information on the updated Fusion. Whole I was still working (retired😎 now), my employer had a good mix of Toyota Camry Hybrids and the Ford Fusion Hybrid. Smoking fast in the Fords and they seem to handle quite a bit of the guys with the mindset.... “it’s not my car, so what” as they punished the drivetrain. Similar to the Camry drivetrain as far as reliability.

Yes it’s all a risk but I’m hoping that Ford continues with the use of the auto stop/start override device. It’s nice to have that choice each time you fire up the engine.

Last edited:

hondabuster

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rav hybrid ,tacoma
There tons of explanation videos on both Toyota and Ford eCVT which are very similar. One thing that is said often in the videos is how simple the transmissions are... simple usually means reliable.
I have a Rav4 hybrid, and its a lifetime tranny. No wear parts, just gears and fluids. Nothing to wear out, no belts or rubber bands, nothing in common with the Nissan unit, other than sharing the CVT name

OP
OP

dp4616

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yea. The more I research, the more confident I am. Looking into the CMAX pre2016 and was a disaster. Nothing much about the eCVT nowadays. The way it works also makes me less concerned about trailering or lifetime trans fluid.

AceGoliath

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT, 21 Bronco OBX SAS, 10 Fusion SE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This will be my first venture into a hybrid. Question about powertrain.

If say the batteries degrade to a point where they won't hold charge.

or

The electric motor burns out.

Would the vehicle still run just on the gas engine? Or are you broke down? Thanks

Sponsored

SuckLemons

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Toyota Tacoma 🌮
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

or

Would the vehicle still run just on the gas engine? Or are you broke down? Thanks
I don’t think this is a concern like it used to be. I had a 2009 (?) Escape Hybrid with 260,000 miles on it and never had an issue. Battery still ran fine. I’m sure it degraded so it wasn’t as efficient as new, but it performed normally. Running a 2012 hybrid now with 140,000 miles and haven’t had an issue either. This is a Toyota/Lexus, but still, if you’re worried about battery degradation, I wouldn’t.

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

or

most new lithium batteries in hybrids or EVs still have 80%-90% capacity after 200k miles. So a 1.4kwh battery means 1.12kwh after 200k miles. That’s more than enough to last.

as for the motor 200k miles is more than enough for those to last. After that it may cause issues. But the vehicle will not work with out the electric motor since it controls the transmission. But seeing reports of the Fusion Hybrid hitting 200k miles-300k miles with NO major issues.

RobBot

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota Tacoma

or

I believe you'd be broken down. I believe the gas engine only acts as a generator, it doesn't have a connection to the wheels.

The wheels are driven by an electric motor.

Like other people said though, they should work for a long time.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I believe you'd be broken down. I believe the gas engine only acts as a generator, it doesn't have a connection to the wheels.

The wheels are driven by an electric motor.

Like other people said though, they should work for a long time.
Actually in a hybrid the gas engine is connected to the drivetrain. At low speeds the electric motor can power the vehicle. Under some conditions the hybrid system switches back and forth between the electric and gas units. When full power is called for, both electric and gas operate at the same time. The gas engine does add charge to the battery under some conditions and regenerative braking also adds charge. The Chevy Volt operates like you said.

PapaDave

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 VBlue & XLT hybrid A51
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have never driven a hybrid. But, I had rode in a Nissan with a CVT. I am hoping the Maverick doesn't make a loud 'drone sound' when accelerating.
Sponsored