Snowbird

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CRV 2018
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So I wrapped it up tonight. I used a 3 wire 3/4 light. I wired the ground to the fender like everyone else. I ran the less bright wire down to the side marker in the bumper, and the more bright to the turn signals. I'm undecided on the smoked covers from Etsy.

How did you secure the smoked covers onto the truck?
Sponsored

JerseyMike

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mazda 3
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How did you secure the smoked covers onto the truck?
At this point I just had a small piece of clear gorilla 2 sided tape. I wasn't sure that I like them so I took them off. They were really stuck on there, so I have no doubt that that stuff will work if I put them back on and use more.

JerseyMike

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mazda 3
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
photos with them off? Almost seems like the smoked version might be better off with a two wires only setup.

it tends to fade pretty quickly at the bottom which makes it look ”funky.” I have the smoked on the way myself. Might look around for alternatives in lighting or just go Turn signals only.
I'll get you some after work. I wasn't really sure about them either so I just took em off.

EveryDayNick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT EB/AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Anyone genuinely interested here’s The smoke ones in different lighting angles.

Think I’m just gonna make them turn signal only and try to find a larger LED to fill it out.

Ford Maverick đź’ˇ Converting the Maverick side badge to a signal lamp light -- DIY how-to and result video [night video added] 2ED4386E-8F67-4229-BCE1-E9CF589D5CCF

Ford Maverick đź’ˇ Converting the Maverick side badge to a signal lamp light -- DIY how-to and result video [night video added] 39217F12-81B5-4ABF-B082-71F49047F9E8

Ford Maverick đź’ˇ Converting the Maverick side badge to a signal lamp light -- DIY how-to and result video [night video added] A91B807C-8817-41E0-B347-AF4719AFFF8F

OP
OP
Dad

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Anyone genuinely interested here’s The smoke ones in different lighting angles.

Think I’m just gonna make them turn signal only and try to find a larger LED to fill it out.

2ED4386E-8F67-4229-BCE1-E9CF589D5CCF.jpeg

39217F12-81B5-4ABF-B082-71F49047F9E8.jpeg

A91B807C-8817-41E0-B347-AF4719AFFF8F.jpeg
They look great! Plenty of room in that badge and behind to put in a larger light, so yeah, you can do that.

Sponsored

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Finally got my truck and looking at doing this! Seems like it should be mandatory on all cars to have turn signals on the sides. (It is in many other countries...)

I'm torn between orange LED and smoke cover, or white LED with orange cover.....

OP
OP
Dad

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Finally got my truck and looking at doing this! Seems like it should be mandatory on all cars to have turn signals on the sides. (It is in many other countries...)

I'm torn between orange LED and smoke cover, or white LED with orange cover.....
Excited for you in getting your Maverick! Yes, I was puzzled why the Maverick did not have some type of side signaling either from a more wrapped front lens, a mirror, or using the side marker. So, yeah, I decided to do something about it. The badge covers were mentioned by another member and when I looked at the vendor's etsy site, they mentioned that lights were not included. That gave me the idea of installing my own light. It's an easy install. Writing up the directions took me longer than doing the actual installation! Don't hesitate to contact me either by this thread or private message if you need anything.

OP
OP
Dad

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Valid dilemma. I think I like the smoke a tad more. The smoke wasn't offered at the time I did mine. Another member wrote to the vendor (family business) and asked it they could make a smoke version and they promptly did so.

Jamers99

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Jamers99

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Due to my envy of those vehicles that have turn signal indicators on their mirrors or body side, I took another member's basic idea and went one step further to have the badge act as a turn signal indicator. The first side took a bit of time to figure out what light would work best and how to wire it up correctly and safely. The other side took about an hour or two. Nothing like having "experience" the second time around.

This is how it came out:

What you'll need:
  • plastic pry tools to ease off the badge.
  • LED light. (I liked the round one where the wiring exits out the back of the light)
  • butt splices. Red ones for the small wire gauge.
  • several wire bridge taps. Again, the red ones.
  • two ring terminals large enough to be able to attach to one of the bolts holding the fender together. This is for a ground. I got the ones that included shrink wrap on the wire end, but not necessary.
  • UPDATE: Resistors not needed because I'm not REPLACING an incandescent bulb, merely adding one. 2 resistors. Remember, the Mav uses incandescent bulbs for its on/off turn signal function. If you introduce a lesser load bearing LED, it throws off the truck's computer into thinking a bulb is burned out and you get the hyperflash. The more expensive Laserfit LED's have internal resistors, but we are not using those today.
  • wire cutters, stripper, and crimping tool.
  • 4 strands of automotive wire about 3 - 1/2 feet long. Red and black are always a good choice color wise. The wires on the LED's I chose are yellow & black, so I used those colors.
  • Drill bit or forstner bit large enough to cut out a round circle in the badge. The LED's I used required a 3/4" hole to fit snugly.
  • 2 amber colored covers that fit the badge. These were made specifically for the Maverick and can be found on Etsy, however, this is an option. I chose to use them to cover up the LED lamp and also to disperse the light. Inexpensive . . . $20 for two.
  • shrink wrap if you choose to use it and then you'll need either a heat gun or hair dryer.
  • Automotive electrical tape. If you'll notice looking into any type of automotive wiring, the tape is NOT the shiny kind. The shiny kind tends to melt and get sticky. Opt for the "fabric" type. Easily available on Amazon and looks more like it belongs.
  • Four #4 self-tapping screws to hold the resistors in place. Actually, one screw will hold it just fine. We'll talk about where to place the resistor and it might be tough to get two screws on. Getting one on was tough enough and it held strongly, so I didn't bother with the second one.

If you wire the lights up to the turn signals, do they also flash when locking/unlocking the maverick?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Dad

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How is the adhesive holding up on this LED? Did you take any pics of the fender with the side badge off? Is there a trick to removing it? In other words, do you pry from certain directions straight out from the fender?
I can help with the question of removing the badge. Like most trim it's held in with tabs that pop off. You'll need a plastic pry tool and it does come out without too much effort. Here's a photo of where the tabs are located. By the way, tons of room behind this trim.
Ford Maverick đź’ˇ Converting the Maverick side badge to a signal lamp light -- DIY how-to and result video [night video added] IMG_2870

OP
OP
Dad

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
OP
OP
Dad

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I love how you did this! Very cool how the light reflects to the outline of the badge and no need for a cover lens. If you haven't already, feel free to post this install on the thread or start your own. I think this is a better look than what I did. I am tempted to redo mine to your mod. I wonder how much replacement badges are? LOL. I suppose I could find something to fill in the hole I made for the round lights. Sheesh . . . I love/hate you guys!
Sponsored