First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is a great mod! I added turn signal capability to my side badges, but I'm impressed with your mirror add on. I'm hoping you'll share what you used and how you attached it to the mirrors.

OP
OP
Maverick2023

Maverick2023

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is a great mod! I added turn signal capability to my side badges, but I'm impressed with your mirror add on. I'm hoping you'll share what you used and how you attached it to the mirrors.
i bought these lights from Amazon. Planning on tapping into the tail lights using the same lights but instead of the white DRL I will be using the red/amber turn signals instead. More of that to come later. As for the wiring, look at the video where I ran the wires in between the gap of the door and through the opening to the engine compartment. Fortunately, the Maverick has a huge opening into the engine compartment from the doors. Once I get the wires into the engine compartment it's just a matter of lining it up along side of the wall and then tap them into the turn signal of the head lights. Not too difficult to do. I will have to clean up the wires and tuck them in nicely when I have a chance. This was a last minute haphazard set up I was trying to do. I used the 3M tape to stick the lights under the side mirrors. Placement is up to you where you want them to be. I picked a spot in the center of the mirrors at the bottom and stuck the lights there. For now I think it worked out pretty well. At night you could see the lights lid up on the side when they are on which is a bonus because I was worried that the lights could only be seen from the front.

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
i bought these lights from Amazon. Planning on tapping into the tail lights using the same lights but instead of the white DRL I will be using the red/amber turn signals instead. More of that to come later. As for the wiring, look at the video where I ran the wires in between the gap of the door and through the opening to the engine compartment. Fortunately, the Maverick has a huge opening into the engine compartment from the doors. Once I get the wires into the engine compartment it's just a matter of lining it up along side of the wall and then tap them into the turn signal of the head lights. Not too difficult to do. I will have to clean up the wires and tuck them in nicely when I have a chance. This was a last minute haphazard set up I was trying to do. I used the 3M tape to stick the lights under the side mirrors. Placement is up to you where you want them to be. I picked a spot in the center of the mirrors at the bottom and stuck the lights there. For now I think it worked out pretty well. At night you could see the lights lid up on the side when they are on which is a bonus because I was worried that the lights could only be seen from the front.
Thanks for the info. I'm anxious to see your more detailed videos. I'm familiar with the wiring run to the front turn signals.
Here's the link to my modification whereby I converted the badges to turn signals.
https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...o-night-video-added.27369/page-12#post-569239

Sponsored

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
One of the reasons why I value this club is the innovation and imagination of our members! Your install is inspiring! I love the idea of having turn signal lighting on the mirrors and I was wondering when a) some third party would come produce o new Maverick mirror with that capability, or (b) a member takes upon himself to modify what's there. Thanks for pioneering that concept. You have inspired me to wonder if there's a light strip that's flexible enough to wrap around the front face of the mirror to follow the lines of the mirror more closely than what your photos show. I'm sure there is, but at the moment I have a ton of other projects going. No doubt, others will build on your ideas. Many thanks!

Update: Only took a minute search on Amazon. These are neon led's. Same as the ones I have as hood lights, but in orange. Says they are waterproof and can be cut to length. While I suppose one could just stick these on the front/side of the mirror, it would be way cooler if a channel could be cut into the front housing of the mirror and have these pressed into that channel so as to look "factory". I would need a spare mirror to experiment before doing this on my present mirror. Anyway, just a thought with no intention of taking away from your install.
https://www.amazon.com/Depulat-Wate...lexible+led+strip+lights,aps,154&sr=8-45&th=1

Last edited:

Flight Test

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvettes
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I'll give you an "A" for effort, but a "C" at best for execution. Not digging the exposed wire bundle on the door panel and the light bar is not flush on the outboard end of the mirror housing.

OP
OP
Maverick2023

Maverick2023

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'll give you an "A" for effort, but a "C" at best for execution. Not digging the exposed wire bundle on the door panel and the light bar is not flush on the outboard end of the mirror housing.
Lol…this is why I’m no professional by any means. Just doing this at the last minute without any planning or preparation. I just winged it. I’m more about functionality than form. Don’t intend on keeping my maverick forever so drilling and cutting into the mirrors aren’t what I wanted to do because of that.

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Lol…this is why I’m no professional by any means. Just doing this at the last minute without any planning or preparation. I just winged it. I’m more about functionality than form. Don’t intend on keeping my maverick forever so drilling and cutting into the mirrors aren’t what I wanted to do because of that.
You did fine for the initial install. When I do an experimental install I'll do just enough to make sure it works and that I'm happy with the modification. If so, then I proceed to clean it up. You had an idea, went forward with it and proved that it works. For you, that is well enough. It's up to others to take your idea and change it to fit their needs. I appreciate you taking the time and effort to post the idea and how you did it.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Maverick2023

Maverick2023

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You did fine for the initial install. When I do an experimental install I'll do just enough to make sure it works and that I'm happy with the modification. If so, then I proceed to clean it up. You had an idea, went forward with it and proved that it works. For you, that is well enough. It's up to others to take your idea and change it to fit their needs. I appreciate you taking the time and effort to post the idea and how you did it.
Trying to keep the cost and time down when doing these projects has been my #1 priority. If I was to drill and make it look professional, the cost would not be $50 or less. Plus, I don't have all the time in the world right now to design and create prototype to please you people...haha.... Got a newborn and he occupies 99% of my time, not to mention I got millions of other things in life to do beside messing around with my Maverick. This is my therapy from all the chaos in life. Hey, as long as I'm happy with the results that is what matters. Appreciate all the likes and feedback from y'all.

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Trying to keep the cost and time down when doing these projects has been my #1 priority. If I was to drill and make it look professional, the cost would not be $50 or less. Plus, I don't have all the time in the world right now to design and create prototype to please you people...haha.... Got a newborn and he occupies 99% of my time, not to mention I got millions of other things in life to do beside messing around with my Maverick. This is my therapy from all the chaos in life. Hey, as long as I'm happy with the results that is what matters. Appreciate all the likes and feedback from y'all.
Your priorities are exactly right. I also have found the Maverick to be therapeutic so much so that I started a thread on it. Interesting read . . . if you have the time . . . LOL.
https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/forum/threads/maverick-as-therapy.9825/

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

to follow up on this, the correct thing to do would be to remove the mirror which should be possible by pulling the door panel including sail panel, and wiring through the existing bundle into the door.

a second strong suggestion would be to use heat shrink tubing and solder connections. it's especially important on anything under the hood. if heat, age or anything else causes your electrical tape to fail and presumably your twisted wire splice is exposed, you could have a short which at best will blow a fuse and at worst will start a fire.

that said, I've seen YT videos of 'professionals' install off-road lights that use a 40A circuit - way more than your LEDs I'm sure - and do what you did.

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Same here there could have been a better way to hide the wires.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dad

macaroni_life

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That bundle of wires appears to be getting very badly pinched. It needs to be routed a different way, because with enough damage, it can short out and be a fire hazard.

You can simply drop it down the side further into the fender
Sponsored

• Wow
Reactions: Dad