2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I love how some are so quick to shoot this down. We shall see. I think someone would have said the same thing pre Maverick if you said 'there will be a small ford pickup that gets 40-42mpg'
There's a massive difference in weight between a car-based pickup like the Maverick and a body on frame truck. The Maverick also sits lower and has smaller tires with less surface area touching the road. The Tundra's hybrid powertrain barely made a difference in MPGs. Same with the F-150. The Tacoma is not magically going to get 2X the mileage with a refresh.
Sponsored

bearsfan647

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EBike - Future Ford Maverick!
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I love how some are so quick to shoot this down. We shall see. I think someone would have said the same thing pre Maverick if you said 'there will be a small ford pickup that gets 40-42mpg'
Maverick owners on this forum can be like that… just look at some of the weird comments about how “the ecoboost makes no sense”.

I also imagine there’s a small amount with Stockholm syndrome due to them paying markup.

bearsfan647

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EBike - Future Ford Maverick!
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There's a massive difference in weight between a car-based pickup like the Maverick and a body on frame truck. The Maverick also sits lower and has smaller tires with less surface area touching the road. The Tundra's hybrid powertrain barely made a difference in MPGs. Same with the F-150. The Tacoma is not magically going to get 2X the mileage with a refresh.
theres also countless things mid sizes can do that the maverick can’t.

the idea of these trucks is not to get the same mpg as smaller vehicles with less capability… it’s to up the mpg compared to the previous gen of the same vehicle/class. You’re also wrong about the f-159 hybrid. It does quite well city compared to non hybrid (if you stop comparing it to completely different vehicles)

This is an option for ecoboost holders.

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
While this debate could go on forever it will be interesting to see how it will affect Maverick pricing. Will folks pay continue to pay 5, 7 , 10K over sticker when there are alternatives ( and how much over msrp wit IT be ? ) and I totally agree with commadorebob - this is more of a Ranger competitor. If Ford comes out with a Ranger Hybrid , esp a plug in, how will that affect Maverick availability and pricing - we shall see :)
The Hybrid Taco will have the same or probably even more markup over MSRP so your point in that it will affect over MSRP markups on Mavericks is not true.

Connect

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord, 2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well hopefully we will find out for sure on 4/4/23. ;)

• Love
Reactions: bgn

Sponsored

Connect

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't see Toyota offering 4 separate engine options when manufacturers are trying to streamline and cut down on manufacturing costs.

The 2023 Tundra offers 1 base engine - the twin turbo V6 - with 2 calibrations for the non-hybrid (348hp/405ft lbs or 389hp/479ft). The hybrid variant adds an electric motor to the transmission - which further bumps power to 437/583 respectively.

The 2023 Colorado and Canyons also employ similar strategy - offering only 1 engine the 2.7L turbo 4 - but 3 difference calibrations based on the trim you buy.

Expect 1 engine for the Taco, possibly 2.
Maybe I am wrong, I guess we will see in a few days. I would not have expected more than 2 options until the Grand Highlander was revealed and is going to offer 3 options.... it will have less volume than the Tacoma so I can now see it possibly having at least 3 options.

The tundra is low volume and will continue to so makes sense to keep it less options

The Colorado and Canyon sell about half as many as Tacoma so it makes sense to keep it simple at first and if they build demand then they can add options later

Connect

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My two gut feelings:

A highlander Hybrid gets an estimated 36mpg, so a heavier, more rugged Tacoma would likely not meet those numbers... maybe 32-33 around town? Highway mpg is still going to be mid 20s since these are, basically, heavy bricks.

It will be a solid truck, and cable of very trucky-things. But with decently equipped Highlander Hybrids starting at around $48K in my area, you're going to be looking at similar pricing for Tacoma Hybrids. So that's almost 2X the price of a Maverick Hybrid. At that point they're really not even competitors.
Yeah even the Grand Highlander is suppose to get 34 MPG, the Sienna gets 36. Both very heavy vehicles so I am hopeful there will be a version of the Tacoma that will get 30MPG.

I agree in most cases they are not competitors, and if I could get a Maverick Hybrid that would be at the top of my list.... I tired to order....they took my order and then when i pressed them for confirmation I was told they had to many orders. I'm probably not your typical buyer as I cross shop a lot of different classes.

I would be willing to pay $5-8K more for a Tacoma than I would a Maverick though. I tend to buy lower trims so I would not be willing to pay $48K for anything. If there is not a Tacoma that fit's my wish list then I don't have to buy one but I am willing to bet I could get a Tacoma far easier than a Maverick which will be a factor.

I am not pro toyota over Ford.... do I trust Toyota reliability more..... yes... especially after seeing some of the issues on here. I am just hoping for a small/midsze truck that has decent backseat room and good MPG.... whoever can fills my wishlist better will be the winner of my money.

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah even the Grand Highlander is suppose to get 34 MPG, the Sienna gets 36. Both very heavy vehicles so I am hopeful there will be a version of the Tacoma that will get 30MPG.

I agree in most cases they are not competitors, and if I could get a Maverick Hybrid that would be at the top of my list.... I tired to order....they took my order and then when i pressed them for confirmation I was told they had to many orders. I'm probably not your typical buyer as I cross shop a lot of different classes.

I would be willing to pay $5-8K more for a Tacoma than I would a Maverick though. I tend to buy lower trims so I would not be willing to pay $48K for anything. If there is not a Tacoma that fit's my wish list then I don't have to buy one but I am willing to bet I could get a Tacoma far easier than a Maverick which will be a factor.

I am not pro toyota over Ford.... do I trust Toyota reliability more..... yes... especially after seeing some of the issues on here. I am just hoping for a small/midsze truck that has decent backseat room and good MPG.... whoever can fills my wishlist better will be the winner of my money.
It's not weight - it is aero when it comes to trucks.

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ok......hopefully they will give us some tidbits on 4/4/23
Coefficient of drag on a Sienna is something like .31 where the taco is going to be much greater.

Ground clearance on the Sienna is 6.2" and even a base taco will add 2 inches to that.

The taco is wider and taller.

It also rides on wider and heavier tires.

Sponsored

Connect

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Coefficient of drag on a Sienna is something like .31 where the taco is going to be much greater.

Ground clearance on the Sienna is 6.2" and even a base taco will add 2 inches to that.

The taco is wider and taller.

It also rides on wider and heavier tires.
Ok, we get it......you don't agree....it's ok. I am not insisting I'm right

1Guy1Truck

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’ll be ordering one as soon as they are available and teafing in the Maverick. I can’t wait!

gwrace14651

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I doubt this will compete with the Maverick. It's a midsize with a higher price tag, larger in size and weight. And if Toyota can't match production to meet demand then just another vehicle to get inline for. For us the Maverick is perfect in size and is under 4000 lbs in weight and with the hybrid can be flat towed

Last edited:

Falcon first

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3, BMW M235 coupe
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Toyota Maverick competitor comes in 2024, Toyota Stout. AWD hybrid and also gas only option, unibody. The day its official I will place an order and I love my hybrid Maverick. My son needs a truck since he totaled his Tacoma so we bought a Civic due to markups on used Tacomas. The Civic at least gets great mileage around 35mpg but it can’t pull his boat. I expect the new Tacoma will be better in many ways, ride, room, comfort and it will get better mpg if only for going to an 8 speed or possibly 10 speed auto vs 6 speed auto. They are expensive but the resale value is the 2nd best of any vehicle sold, only the 4 Runner is better.
Sponsored