Flub

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 08
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I wanted the current gen Tacoma so bad.... But the price just became insane even at MSRP

Sponsored

ksc83

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A Tacoma with 40+mpg hybrid would be definitely excite me. Knowing it’s a Toyota and that every Toyota dealer in a 500 miles radius of me charges well over MSRP for their hybrids changes my mind.

Ottocycle

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' RS6 Avant, 14' CTS-V Wagon, 87' BMW 535is
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Meh... I'd rather have an f150 for a tool. It's a much better truck for doing truck stuff. I was going to buy one in 09 when they were giving trucks away but the dealer would come down on price. Went to the ford dealership, sold me a xlt with way more options fore way less money. Way better work and camping truck. I'll agree on it's not as sporty looking as the taco

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

A Tacoma with 40+mpg hybrid would be definitely excite me. Knowing it’s a Toyota and that every Toyota dealer in a 500 miles radius of me charges well over MSRP for their hybrids changes my mind.
A midsize like the Tacoma is not going to get even 30 mpg with a hybrid option.

Impetus19

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazda 3, 1979 CJ5 360 3spd, 2015 prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Really? All the rav4 hybrids near me are at msrp.

ksc83

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Really? All the rav4 hybrids near me are at msrp.
I think that’s because no one wants the rav4. I was going to get a maverick or the new Prius (whichever would arrive first) and no one will do msrp on the Prius and they also will not let you order it. It’s a “we are being sent a xyz prius, want it for $5k over or not?”

Sponsored

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It's still a Ranger competitor, not really a Maverick competitor.

MightyMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Lariat FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm curious to see the reveal next week. Should be interesting. I'm sure it'll take a lot of styling cues from the Tundra just like the spy shots and renderings suggest. The first new Tacoma since 2016 so it's about time. Ironically enough my trade-in for the Maverick was a Tacoma. It was an SR5 Double Cab in Magnetic Grey Metallic. Overall it was decent but wasn't exactly what I wanted. It wasn't the right trim or color. It was just what was there, spur of the moment. If I was smart I would've waited for another one to come in or just order one from the dealer. The one I truly wanted was a TRD Sport in either Cement Grey, Cavalry Blue, Voodoo Blue, or Quicksand.

Not that it matters at this point because I have a much more superior vehicle. The Maverick gave me the opportunity to choose exactly what I want. And being fully loaded it only costs an extra $38 on the monthly payment. It drives better, looks better, is more comfortable, safer, more powerful, and has just as much if not better resale value than the Taco. The only thing the Tacoma is superior over is long-term reliability. Turbo engines are not known for longevity whereas the Tacoma is a naturally aspirated V6 that is less complicated. So only time will tell if it'll hold up. I'm sure with regular maintenance and proper driving etiquette it should be just fine. It all depends on how you take care of a vehicle. According to the old saying, "If you take care of it, it'll take care of you."

Ford Maverick 🌮 Competition News: 2024 Tacoma Reveals on 4/4/23 (Taco Tuesday). Tacoma Hybrid Coming 2021 Toyota Tacoma Delivery (3)

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Legs
Engine
Undecided
I wanted the current gen Tacoma so bad.... But the price just became insane even at MSRP
Well the good news is you can buy a decade old used one and it will be exactly the same truck as a new one!

The bad news is that it will also cost exactly the same as a brand new one.

(Sarcasm, in case anyone doesn't get it. I know there are some minor differences within this generation like CarPlay/AA)

athertonbt

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL EB FWD Carb Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If I could get comfortable in the driver's seat, definitely would have bought a Taco in 2019. No amount of adjusting has ever gotten me there for whatever reason. How a compact truck for half the price is twice as comfortable I'll never be good enough at geometry to know.

Last Truck Ever

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

It's still a Ranger competitor, not really a Maverick competitor.
This, exactly. Also, as others said, way too $$ for the budget-minded Mav buyer. Downsize body and price and I'm there.
Sponsored