First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat, '17 Rogue SL, '14 Altima SV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For some reason I feal like I have to do gold myself in half to get in one, and I still rub my head on the top of the door most times. And I'm only 6', not crazy tall. Weird cab geometry on Forerunner and Tacoma.
Sponsored

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For some reason I feal like I have to do gold myself in half to get in one, and I still rub my head on the top of the door most times. And I'm only 6', not crazy tall. Weird cab geometry on Forerunner and Tacoma.
like me you're "only" 5 inches taller than the average Asian male auto engineer

Topdog!

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra and RAV 4- Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think that’s because no one wants the rav4. I was going to get a maverick or the new Prius (whichever would arrive first) and no one will do msrp on the Prius and they also will not let you order it. It’s a “we are being sent a xyz prius, want it for $5k over or not?”
I would agree. I would not buy a RAV as currently formatted. We drove one as a rental car about 2 years ago. Was sluggish and not a great drive. We have a 2009 v-6 model that is far better to drive.

A_Turkey_Sammich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150
Engine
Undecided
A midsize like the Tacoma is not going to get even 30 mpg with a hybrid option.
while everything is speculation until the vehicle and numbers come out, I’d have to agree and everything I’ve seen points to this as well.

Even with supposed Toyota reliability, I don’t think the added complication and cost of the 2.4t hybrid drivetrain that is rumored to be used is worth the bump in mpg if it does end up in that range.. as for the taco itself, while it may be new, platform, drivetrains, etc, the overall exterior looks pretty similar to what it always has been, meaning probably similar if not the same cramped, uncomfortable, sit on the floor kind of interior they’ve always had which would be enough to turn me off in itself. Kinda too bad. If they made something similar to the maverick with their NA hybrid drivetrains at similar MPG, it prob instantly be at the top of my interest. I had a rav4 prime to drive around for a week and really liked that for what it was. The more that gets leaked and speculated about with the new Tacoma, it’s pretty clear it won’t even be close what a hybrid maverick is. Not really a surprise given they are very different platforms tho.

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
while everything is speculation until the vehicle and numbers come out, I’d have to agree and everything I’ve seen points to this as well.

Even with supposed Toyota reliability, I don’t think the added complication and cost of the 2.4t hybrid drivetrain that is rumored to be used is worth the bump in mpg if it does end up in that range.. as for the taco itself, while it may be new, platform, drivetrains, etc, the overall exterior looks pretty similar to what it always has been, meaning probably similar if not the same cramped, uncomfortable, sit on the floor kind of interior they’ve always had which would be enough to turn me off in itself. Kinda too bad. If they made something similar to the maverick with their NA hybrid drivetrains at similar MPG, it prob instantly be at the top of my interest. I had a rav4 prime to drive around for a week and really liked that for what it was. The more that gets leaked and speculated about with the new Tacoma, it’s pretty clear it won’t even be close what a hybrid maverick is. Not really a surprise given they are very different platforms tho.
Could a hybrid mid-size truck achieve 30 mpg? Absolutely.

Is the Taco hybrid going to achieve 30 mpg? No, because Toyota has established the Taco as an off road capable truck and taking away truck capabilities to add a large battery, skirting (ground clearance) for aero, and a drivetrain with a large enough electric motor to move such a heavy rig on battery only isn't going to happen.

I'd expect closer to 24-26 mpg with the hybrid.

*the caveat being a single cab, rwd work truck that might sniff 30mpg.

Sponsored

Connect

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord, 2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A midsize like the Tacoma is not going to get even 30 mpg with a hybrid option.
I love how some are so quick to shoot this down. We shall see. I think someone would have said the same thing pre Maverick if you said 'there will be a small ford pickup that gets 40-42mpg'

Redneck Garage

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.theredneckgarage.com
Vehicle(s)
10 Wrangler 22 Lexus 22 Maverick 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

While this debate could go on forever it will be interesting to see how it will affect Maverick pricing. Will folks pay continue to pay 5, 7 , 10K over sticker when there are alternatives ( and how much over msrp wit IT be ? ) and I totally agree with commadorebob - this is more of a Ranger competitor. If Ford comes out with a Ranger Hybrid , esp a plug in, how will that affect Maverick availability and pricing - we shall see :)

modrummer

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I love how some are so quick to shoot this down. We shall see. I think someone would have said the same thing pre Maverick if you said 'there will be a small ford pickup that gets 40-42mpg'
I think the reason it is being shut down is because the Tundra Hybrid is more for extra torque than for MPGs.

Cyberwiz64

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XL Atlas Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The current Tacoma starts at $31 K for the extended cab. I believe that the crew cab starts around $35K. I used to do parts at a Toyota dealer. The original Tacoma started out where the Maverick is today. A basic truck with an open bed for a reasonable price. The original Tacoma with the 22R engine was bullet-proof. It was a great little truck and I often sold parts for Tacomas with 200K+ miles on them. Then it got bigger and bigger and bigger. I believe right now it's slightly smaller than the F-150.

I like the Tacoma but it's a lot more truck than I need. I am not planning on pulling anything of any size. I wanted an open bed. I am not willing to pay the extra for a Tacoma.

Let's see what price point Toyota comes in at. I understand Dodge is working on an electric Dakota in the Maverick size range.

KimoCarew

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kimo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus ES 300H
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm curious to see the reveal next week. Should be interesting. I'm sure it'll take a lot of styling cues from the Tundra just like the spy shots and renderings suggest. The first new Tacoma since 2016 so it's about time. Ironically enough my trade-in for the Maverick was a Tacoma. It was an SR5 Double Cab in Magnetic Grey Metallic. Overall it was decent but wasn't exactly what I wanted. It wasn't the right trim or color. It was just what was there, spur of the moment. If I was smart I would've waited for another one to come in or just order one from the dealer. The one I truly wanted was a TRD Sport in either Cement Grey, Cavalry Blue, Voodoo Blue, or Quicksand.

Not that it matters at this point because I have a much more superior vehicle. The Maverick gave me the opportunity to choose exactly what I want. And being fully loaded it only costs an extra $38 on the monthly payment. It drives better, looks better, is more comfortable, safer, more powerful, and has just as much if not better resale value than the Taco. The only thing the Tacoma is superior over is long-term reliability. Turbo engines are not known for longevity whereas the Tacoma is a naturally aspirated V6 that is less complicated. So only time will tell if it'll hold up. I'm sure with regular maintenance and proper driving etiquette it should be just fine. It all depends on how you take care of a vehicle. According to the old saying, "If you take care of it, it'll take care of you."

2021 Toyota Tacoma Delivery (3).jpg
I had a 2021 Tacoma SR4 too. Toyota makes a great vehicle, but like you I think I have the superior vehicle. Taco pros: composite bed, i had a roof rack for surfboards, better for towing (I towed a grand total of once) and the bed is a little bigger. Cons: mileage is 20, tough to get around parking lots, less interior space than mav and the driving position is odd. The mid-level SR5 was more expensive than my fully loaded mav.

Sponsored

BuddyS

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 R Design & 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

My two gut feelings:

A highlander Hybrid gets an estimated 36mpg, so a heavier, more rugged Tacoma would likely not meet those numbers... maybe 32-33 around town? Highway mpg is still going to be mid 20s since these are, basically, heavy bricks.

It will be a solid truck, and cable of very trucky-things. But with decently equipped Highlander Hybrids starting at around $48K in my area, you're going to be looking at similar pricing for Tacoma Hybrids. So that's almost 2X the price of a Maverick Hybrid. At that point they're really not even competitors.

gwrace14651

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

A Tacoma with 40+mpg hybrid would be definitely excite me. Knowing it’s a Toyota and that every Toyota dealer in a 500 miles radius of me charges well over MSRP for their hybrids changes my mind.
We started out to buy a Toyota Rav4 Prime but the 2-3 year wait and 10-20K dealer adm fees chased us away. Ended up with 2023 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Very nice SUV with a better warranty and paid MSRP. It will probably be the same for any new Toyota hybrid or plugin. A lot of marketing and no availability. Ordered PHEV in July and arrived first week in January. Getting 42-45 miles EV range.

Connect

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord, 2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think the reason it is being shut down is because the Tundra Hybrid is more for extra torque than for MPGs.
possibly. One rumor is that the Tacoma may have 4 engine options. 4cyl turbo, 4cyl na hybrid, V6, and turbo 4 hybrid. So it seems there might be a MPG focused hybrid also. I hope I am right, but I certainly could be wrong.

I would have not thought there would be a V6....but the rumor I saw from someone pretty reliable so far indicated that, and then this teaser makes sure to show the V6 badge..... I am wondering if this is intentional. Seems kind of dumb to remind people 'you had a v6 in this one, but you can't in the new one'. All speculation obviously until we know but it seems it could be another clue.

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
possibly. One rumor is that the Tacoma may have 4 engine options. 4cyl turbo, 4cyl na hybrid, V6, and turbo 4 hybrid. So it seems there might be a MPG focused hybrid also. I hope I am right, but I certainly could be wrong.

I would have not thought there would be a V6....but the rumor I saw from someone pretty reliable so far indicated that, and then this teaser makes sure to show the V6 badge..... I am wondering if this is intentional. Seems kind of dumb to remind people 'you had a v6 in this one, but you can't in the new one'. All speculation obviously until we know but it seems it could be another clue.
I don't see Toyota offering 4 separate engine options when manufacturers are trying to streamline and cut down on manufacturing costs.

The 2023 Tundra offers 1 base engine - the twin turbo V6 - with 2 calibrations for the non-hybrid (348hp/405ft lbs or 389hp/479ft). The hybrid variant adds an electric motor to the transmission - which further bumps power to 437/583 respectively.

The 2023 Colorado and Canyons also employ similar strategy - offering only 1 engine the 2.7L turbo 4 - but 3 difference calibrations based on the trim you buy.

Expect 1 engine for the Taco, possibly 2.

LumberJack36

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Mazda 3 Hatch
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Really excited to see what it looks like and pricing. The future of mid size and small trucks its going to be awesome, with hybrids, all electrics coming from everyone. The next 3 to 6 years the market is going to be flooded all thanks to the Ford maverick.
Sponsored