Sponsored

Maverick Hybrid is inherently flawed (but I still love it)

Egz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid Lariat, 1967 Fairlady
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So crossing one year and 20k miles, I still love my Maverick, but I can't stop and think how it could be significantly better. The issue is the sizing of the hybrid battery. The Fusion Hybrid has a 1.4kWh, and the Maverick only has a 1.1kWh battery. This really cripples the Maverick at highway speeds. It barely can eCruise at 60MPH, while the Fusion could go almost a mile without need from the gas engine. I sure the reason was price (they had that crazy idea of selling them for starting at $20k), and the increase in demand for batteries probably reduced the availability of cells. For them to make the Maverick fantastic, it needs something between 1.5-1.8kWh battery to help at highway speeds, which in my opinion is where it probably spends more of its time.

I am speculating that the majority of Maverick Hybrid owners don't live in cities and spend 90% of their time at or below 45MPH. I'm sure there are some, but I wager that most are suburban, using it for light yard and house tasks, and spends a larger portion of its time on the highway commuting. Once again, this is just speculation.

In short, I still love my Maverick, but I really wish it had a bigger battery. If they were to announce a 2024 with a bigger battery or even a PHEV, I would be at the dealership doors the first day of ordering.
Sponsored

Mav_RICK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So crossing one year and 20k miles, I still love my Maverick, but I can't stop and think how it could be significantly better. The issue is the sizing of the hybrid battery. The Fusion Hybrid has a 1.4kWh, and the Maverick only has a 1.1kWh battery. This really cripples the Maverick at highway speeds. It barely can eCruise at 60MPH, while the Fusion could go almost a mile without need from the gas engine. I sure the reason was price (they had that crazy idea of selling them for starting at $20k), and the increase in demand for batteries probably reduced the availability of cells. For them to make the Maverick fantastic, it needs something between 1.5-1.8kWh battery to help at highway speeds, which in my opinion is where it probably spends more of its time.

I am speculating that the majority of Maverick Hybrid owners don't live in cities and spend 90% of their time at or below 45MPH. I'm sure there are some, but I wager that most are suburban, using it for light yard and house tasks, and spends a larger portion of its time on the highway commuting. Once again, this is just speculation.

In short, I still love my Maverick, but I really wish it had a bigger battery. If they were to announce a 2024 with a bigger battery or even a PHEV, I would be at the dealership doors the first day of ordering.
And waiting even longer than you did for this one. :(

Clarkdonbran

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I specualte that Maverick drivers are an exact cross-section of everyone else who owns cars.
This is too reasonable for the MTC. Delete immediately!

Ford Truck Guy

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Fusion Hybrid has a 1.4kWh, and the Maverick only has a 1.1kWh battery. This really cripples the Maverick at highway speeds. It barely can eCruise at 60MPH, while the Fusion could go almost a mile without need from the gas engine.
Are you sure aerodynamics don’t have anything to do with this?
Ford Maverick Maverick Hybrid is inherently flawed (but I still love it) 1569814C-0711-4023-9047-6DD5BF2180A4

Ford Maverick Maverick Hybrid is inherently flawed (but I still love it) C37F80C4-E7B9-4F4D-8679-C4D8A453DE98

Sponsored

OP
OP
Egz

Egz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Absolutely. Hence why the Maverick needs a larger battery to be able to supply more power to the electric motor to overcome drag.

ShadowBlack XL440

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Ford, not enought room to list..........
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Absolutely. Hence why the Maverick needs a larger battery to be able to supply more power to the electric motor to overcome drag.
I can not wait for some of the innovative hot rodders to start working on the Hybrids much like they have been on the EB. Really impressive EB improvements with some turning 12's in the 1/4 mile. Maybe we can unlock the LUDICROUS mode with FORScan.

Last edited:

skyhawk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Airplanes motorcycles cars SUVs
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What exactly would a 50% increase in battery capacity buy you on the highway, another 30 seconds of e-power?

It sounds like you want a BEV or a PHEV. A standard hybrid is not for going electrified down the freeway, at least not for very long.

OP
OP
Egz

Egz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Based on my experiences with my Fusion Hybrid, more electric time at highway speeds, boosting fuel economy. At a constant 65MPH, the Fusion would alternate between gas and electric, coast on electric, and then recharging with surplus power from the gas. It doesn't sound like a lot, but it helps. The Maverick is almost always on gas at those speeds. Even tricking it into electric doesn't help because it can't maintain a speed unless going downhill. The current battery cannot supply enough amperage.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Aero is likely a big one. To take the electrical side partially out of the equation comparing the MPG when running on ICE between the Maverick and my previous '14 Fusion Hybrid the Mav usually is low 30's MPG cruising at 55 while the Fusion could be all the way up above 40 as the HVB neared full charge.

Also the Maverick is much more reluctant to go into EV driving at 55 mph and usually is at its peak power delivery to get there. We know that the electric drive motor has more power available when the conditions are right starting at peak battery. Not to mention that watt-hours of the battery and how many amps it can output are different factors. So it may not necessarily the battery's power delivery but limitations on other elements in the chain like how much current the motor controller can sustain. Or possibly even the heat dissipation of the motor assembly itself since it can only deliver that extra power for a short period.

Sponsored

Chicolini

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150s, Mustang GT Convertible, Mazda B3000
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think "slightly sub-optimal" may be a better phrase than "inherently flawed". If were any more optimal I probably couldn't afford it. The Hybrid Maverick is much better than nothing.

In order to compensate, I have taken to avoiding the main road, a dual highway with dozens of traffic lights and very aggressive drivers. Now I take the old colonial stagecoach road that has only 6 stop signs over 30 miles. Speed averages about 40 MPH. The scenery is marvelous, and the other drivers wave at you - you might be someone they know. It only adds about 5 minutes to a trip.

I love it, too.

Ford Maverick Maverick Hybrid is inherently flawed (but I still love it) MPG_20230214

Rod

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Inherently flawed is how you titled the thread. The size of its battery doesn’t make flawed in the least to this 1st time hybrid owner. At the Mavericks price point, I thinks it’s quite a truck..

Impetus19

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazda 3, 1979 CJ5 360 3spd, 2015 prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Even my prius will not cruise at highway speeds on electric alone, this is generally limited by the computer. But that doesn't stop it from getting fantastic mpgs.

surfstar

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We have a Prius Prime - the larger battery is mainly beneficial when coming down from the mountains. We can get 40% + charge in it sometimes. A non plug-in / smaller battery would top out much sooner. (plus we get 30+ EV miles locally on a charge)

With that said, there's a reason the engineers settle on a battery size - its all about cost effective production and balancing performance (and this was before supply constraints). The hwy mpg rating of a Prius Prime is no better than a standard Prius - yet it hauls around more battery weight and loses trunk space. When we bought the Prime it was a MUCH better deal due to incentives and tax credit. With those gone, a standard hybrid is more cost effective to own.