First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The 2K tow rating on the Tremor has really gotten to me lately. So much so that I put a deposit down on a new Colorado Trail Boss tipping the scales at $43.5k. I added every available option to my TB boss. Both convenience packages, safety package, tech package, advanced trailering package. While this affords me a great deal of tech through the 11.3" screen and 8" driver info screen - it only musters a power drivers seat - while serving up a plastic wheel that is not telescoping, flat seats with UHaul grade fabric (apologies Ford for ragging on the "black onyx"), and hard black plastics EVERYWHERE except a small sliver on the door where half of your elbow rests. They also used the dreaded "piano black" to class, err I mean, gloss up the interior. I never understood the "Maverick uses cheap materials but they make it look good and work" line until sitting in the Colorado which has similar (if not worse) quality materials than the Maverick yet feels significantly worse inside.

The Trail Boss is based on the Colorado work truck trim and the interior does not receive "upscale" appointments that the LT, Z71, and ZR2 receive.

Yesterday, one of the local dealers had a Colorado LT in stock. Once I announced to the salesman I would not be buying the LT but would be interested in ordering a TB (wink, wink) - the Colorado quickly sold (in 35 minutes no less) from the time I called to the time I got there. I couldn't drive it but that's not the point of this post.....

The LT is supposedly upscale - with a leather wrapped wheel, dash pad, and other improvements.

It felt like total garbage inside. This brand new truck had gouges in multiple places ON THE DASH. There is not a single piece soft touch plastic in the entire vehicle. Everything felt hollow and cheap.

My Dad bought a 2022 Tahoe LT for $52k not even a year ago and the build quality and interior on his Tahoe is so impressive it made me consider Chevy and I've been so excited for the Colorado. For $44k the Colorado should sniff the same atmosphere as the Tahoe - with a few cost cutting measures here or there.

Chevy thought they could toss some screens in the cabin and go cheap on legitimately every other part of the interior.

Worst is - feels like you're sitting on the floor of it - just like a Taco - and I didn't even both trying to get comfortable (couldn't drive it anyway) and it didn't even have a power seat, but I guess you can't expect much for the $39k LT price tag.

Overall I left pretty dejected. While I rue the lack of towing and payload capability of the Tremor, I still feel that it's a great deal for $34k and the cut corners and shortcomings are acceptable if not annoying. A Colorado at $45k no longer makes sense after sitting in one. The interior is shit.

EDIT: My buddy's wife drives a 2021 Traverse LS that also punches above its weight for interior quality. A real head scratcher to me from Chevy with the low grade interior of the Colorado.
Sponsored

Last edited:

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ford Maverick New Colorado Interior - Seriously Disappointing greener

Last edited:

Dmthomp32

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My father in law is a former engineer at GM. He gives me some grief about buying a “Ford” (Maverick) but honestly I watched for the past 3 years as GM/Chevy just kept raising the prices of their trucks with new generations/model years all the while watching their reliability tank and build quality decrease. There is a vehicle for everyone, I think Ford did a great job using the materials and styling in creative ways to produce a functional and fun truck with the Maverick and I think it shows with the demand.

OP
OP
710-oil-614

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My father in law is a former engineer at GM. He gives me some grief about buying a “Ford” (Maverick) but honestly I watched for the past 3 years as GM/Chevy just kept raising the prices of their trucks with new generations/model years all the while watching their reliability tank and build quality decrease. There is a vehicle for everyone, I think Ford did a great job using the materials and styling in creative ways to produce a functional and fun truck with the Maverick and I think it shows with the demand.
I fall into the category of wanting more truck but not the supersized footprint of a full size. The midsize offerings (Taco, Ranger, old Colorado) didn't turn the dial. I have a 2010 Taco that feels virtually the same as the current one.

The Mav got me excited because of the price point and size. I could deal with the lack of capability.

The new Colorado and incoming Ranger and Taco (though I doubt it'll move me much) have me excited. Chevy did a bang up job on the exterior to me (even if it is a little too crease-y and transformer like) and the TB package makes A LOT of sense for me.

I know $45k "isn't that much for a vehicle" these days but I disagree. If my 93 Toyota Corolla that cost me $1,800 in 2001 could have some tactile feel to the materials inside of it......so can a 2023 Chevy Colorado for $45k.

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Cheap trucks have to hit a price point and the interior is one of those ways to lower the cost. Simply looking at the interior of any Ford vehicle that starts $10,000 more and it looks a lot nicer than Maverick. But you make a great point: just because Maverick's interior isn't great doesn't mean another manufacturer can do any better at the same price point.

Sponsored

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Really surprised to hear this.....you'd think GM would've learned their lesson at the last gen Silverado launch with the garbage interior. Seems all the OEM's have short memories when it comes to stuff like this.

B2000

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B2000
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I considered one but it is too big a step up into the AWD versions when I'm having a bad arthritis day. Hoping I can slip in and out of the Maverick easily.

OP
OP
710-oil-614

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Cheap trucks have to hit a price point and the interior is one of those ways to lower the cost. Simply looking at the interior of any Ford vehicle that starts $10,000 more and it looks a lot nicer than Maverick. But you make a great point: just because Maverick's interior isn't great doesn't mean another manufacturer can do any better at the same price point.
I would place the Colorado at a step above the Maverick in the price rung.

I expect that the base Ranger will have better interior materials than the Maverick, I held that same expectation for the Colorado.

Sans the screens (which are really nice) everything else was worse than the Maverick.

Scupking

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The 2K tow rating on the Tremor has really gotten to me lately. So much so that I put a deposit down on a new Colorado Trail Boss tipping the scales at $43.5k. I added every available option to my TB boss. Both convenience packages, safety package, tech package, advanced trailering package. While this affords me a great deal of tech through the 11.3" screen and 8" driver info screen - it only musters a power drivers seat - while serving up a plastic wheel that is not telescoping, flat seats with UHaul grade fabric (apologies Ford for ragging on the "black onyx"), and hard black plastics EVERYWHERE except a small sliver on the door where half of your elbow rests. They also used the dreaded "piano black" to class, err I mean, gloss up the interior. I never understood the "Maverick uses cheap materials but they make it look good and work" line until sitting in the Colorado which has similar (if not worse) quality materials than the Maverick yet feels significantly worse inside.

The Trail Boss is based on the Colorado work truck trim and the interior does not receive "upscale" appointments that the LT, Z71, and ZR2 receive.

Yesterday, one of the local dealers had a Colorado LT in stock. Once I announced to the salesman I would not be buying the LT but would be interested in ordering a TB (wink, wink) - the Colorado quickly sold (in 35 minutes no less) from the time I called to the time I got there. I couldn't drive it but that's not the point of this post.....

The LT is supposedly upscale - with a leather wrapped wheel, dash pad, and other improvements.

It felt like total garbage inside. This brand new truck had gouges in multiple places ON THE DASH. There is not a single piece soft touch plastic in the entire vehicle. Everything felt hollow and cheap.

My Dad bought a 2022 Tahoe LT for $52k not even a year ago and the build quality and interior on his Tahoe is so impressive it made me consider Chevy and I've been so excited for the Colorado. For $44k the Colorado should sniff the same atmosphere as the Tahoe - with a few cost cutting measures here or there.

Chevy thought they could toss some screens in the cabin and go cheap on legitimately every other part of the interior.

Worst is - feels like you're sitting on the floor of it - just like a Taco - and I didn't even both trying to get comfortable (couldn't drive it anyway) and it didn't even have a power seat, but I guess you can't expect much for the $39k LT price tag.

Overall I left pretty dejected. While I rue the lack of towing and payload capability of the Tremor, I still feel that it's a great deal for $34k and the cut corners and shortcomings are acceptable if not annoying. A Colorado at $45k no longer makes sense after sitting in one. The interior is shit.

EDIT: My buddy's wife drives a 2021 Traverse LS that also punches above its weight for interior quality. A real head scratcher to me from Chevy with the low grade interior of the Colorado.
Why don't you go with the Maverick that can tow 4k if the 2k in the Tremor doesn't work for you?

OP
OP
710-oil-614

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Why don't you go with the Maverick that can tow 4k if the 2k in the Tremor doesn't work for you?
Fair question - it was unlikely I could get a 4K XL built as I was coming from a hybrid order and the XL trim is already constrained.

Add to it that I really want the advanced AWD system of the Tremor for where I plan to take it and use it. The Colorado comes with an auto rear-locker (G80) and 2 spd transfer case in TB form.

Feels like the Ranger Tremor is going to be my bowl of soup when it finally comes out. If nothing else it makes me appreciate the Maverick's interior and more than anything - the seats and the way you fit in them comfortably, at least I do anyway.

Last edited:
Sponsored

Chicolini

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150s, Mustang GT Convertible, Mazda B3000
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am sorry to hear you are disappointed with the Canyon. I was really hoping everyone tired of waiting for their Maverick orders to be built would run right over and buy themselves a Canyon.

My reasons are primarily selfish.

I am a proud shareholder of Exxon, Chevron and several other fine US oil companies. My back of the envelope calculations (guesstimations) indicate that a Canyon purchaser will spend 50% more on gas than a Maverick EcoBoost purchaser and twice as much as a Hybrid purchaser. This should help Exxon and Chevron continue to post record profits, which I desperately need to offset inflation losses in these, my golden retirement years. I was counting on my gains from Google stock, but something seems to have gone wrong.

My hope for booming Canyon sales is not entirely selfish. If more Maverick orders are cancelled, maybe my rural retired neighbors will have a chance to get their own Mavericks. I am the envy of my peers at the Harvest Diner. If more of my neighbors were able to get a Maverick, they could upgrade to a three egg omelet and get a side of bacon.

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I was counting on my gains from Google stock, but something seems to have gone wrong.
Like most monopolies, they rested on their laurels. That allowed Microsoft and ChatGPT to come in and embarrass them to the point that Bing is surprisingly useful and even Brave's in-house search engine has gotten better. Add that to the ongoing international anti-trust investigations into their ad business, which makes up ~90% of their revenue, and you find Google in a not so solid position for the near future.

Despite the push to clean energy, we will always need gas. EVs don't make sense in some applications and people forget gas was a byproduct to start with. We still need crude for the rest of the reasons we use it.

OP
OP
710-oil-614

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am sorry to hear you are disappointed with the Canyon. I was really hoping everyone tired of waiting for their Maverick orders to be built would run right over and buy themselves a Canyon.

My reasons are primarily selfish.

I am a proud shareholder of Exxon, Chevron and several other fine US oil companies. My back of the envelope calculations (guesstimations) indicate that a Canyon purchaser will spend 50% more on gas than a Maverick EcoBoost purchaser and twice as much as a Hybrid purchaser. This should help Exxon and Chevron continue to post record profits, which I desperately need to offset inflation losses in these, my golden retirement years. I was counting on my gains from Google stock, but something seems to have gone wrong.

My hope for booming Canyon sales is not entirely selfish. If more Maverick orders are cancelled, maybe my rural retired neighbors will have a chance to get their own Mavericks. I am the envy of my peers at the Harvest Diner. If more of my neighbors were able to get a Maverick, they could upgrade to a three egg omelet and get a side of bacon.
Maverick Tremor MPG: 20 city / 24 highway

Colorado Trail Boss MPG: 19 city / 23 highway

I'm not canceling my Tremor order either.

Sorry to hear about your Microsoft stock, that I won't be of assistance padding your retirement loses, or that your elderly neighbors won't get a chance to own a Maverick because I'm looking at competing vehicles.

Davis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
The Z71 is supposed to be the "nicer" trim level, while the Trail Boss is just a work truck with some off road goodies. Even the LT has never been much better than the WT in terms of interior quality, more of just a volume leader that doesn't appear to be a company vehicle.

It's crazy how much these mid size trucks are now. If we were talking in the low 30's for a loaded one, that would be different, but we're talking 40 to 50 here for meh quality. I will say I really do like the looks of the new Colorado, I think Chevy did a great job there. My biggest gripe with it is there's no physical headlight switch. I also don't care for the fully digital displays, I would prefer at least a few analog gauges, but this is the future unfortunately.

ejouie

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Ford Maverick, Atlas Blue, FWD, EcoBoost, XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I would expect a Work Truck interior to sacrifice comfort & luxury (tastefully colored soft touch surfaces, heated/cooled power leather seats, etc.) to instead maximize functionality & durability (dull hard/durable/easily cleaned plastics, cloth but many directional manual seats). Instead, it seems that they simply went cheap.
Sponsored