Sponsored

First oil change (rounded kilometers, not exact conversions)

• Total voters

coherent

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, F250 Superduty
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Maybe it's just me but who cares how someone else is going to "break in" their new Maverick? Are we that bored and live such sheltered boring lives that this is something we need a need a conversation about?... I think not. I don't care if you pour sand and goats milk in your engine to break it in. Although at least I would find some humor and reading value in that thread.
Sponsored

olie64

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Order maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Maybe it's just me but who cares how someone else is going to "break in" their new Maverick? Are we that bored and live such sheltered boring lives that this is something we need a need a conversation about?... I think not. I don't care if you pour sand and goats milk in your engine to break it in. Although at least I would find some humor and reading value in that thread.

It could be a lot of us are buying our first new car so its nice to see what others are doing...i mean what kind of sheltered boring life does one have to live to comment on a forum on a topic they don't care about?

Jasperw229

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 22, Lariat fx4, 4k tow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'll likely put off my oil changes until the light comes on.
There is a lot of superstition around breaking in engines. The manual says baby the engine for 1000 miles and I tend to think ford wants the vehicle to have a good reputation so I'll follow that recommendation.

Arguments I've read to the contrary have been push it really hard to seat the piston rings.
I'd expect that allowing a light wear on the piston rings would be a better way to get a good seal.
Of course I'm not an engineer or mechanic so take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

Sponsored

Shay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Whatever is recommended. I trust Ford. They designed it, they engineered it, they have to fix it when it fails. It's in their interest to recommend the best scenario (for their liability) for me to follow.

DrDoom

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HPR XLT and Cyber Orange XLT 2022 Ford Mavericks
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'll have an 1100 mile drive home from the dealership so I'll probably just do my first oil change shortly after I get it home. This may not be a factor in newer engines but I've always heard to change the oil after the first few thousand miles on a new engine to make sure there's no metal shavings left from the machining processes. It definitely won't hurt anything. As far as how easy it is to change the oil since some other folks seemed concerned, unless they have drastically re-designed the 2.0 Ecoboost it's easy as hell for those engines.
Like your ST

Ford Maverick What's your engine Breaking-In Period plan? ILgxPxBQxf

Zepper

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche Cayman S, Maverick XLT (Alto Blue), Altrak
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ill get close to the 1000k just getting home from the dealer. :)
Just be careful that they aren't all highway miles you should vary the speed of the engine.

Sevesteen

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat Lux, 18 Honda Fit
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'll trust Ford's light, and I won't try to race anyone for the first 1000 miles or so.

Altivo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Altivo
Threads
Reaction score
Website
altivo.dreamwidth.org
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I ordered from my local dealer and they

I would but be speed limit is 75MPH coming home from the dealer and If I go 60 I might get killed. I am going to try and take some back roads but I live in BFE
I'm in Illinois. Speed limit on some interstates is 75 but I avoid those anyway. The trouble is, when it was 65, people drove 80 on there. Now that it's 75, they're going 90. No kidding. I don't play that game.

I don't know where "BFE" is but it sounds similar. Here, every speed limit sign on those roads has two additional lines: "Trucks 65" And another sign below that: "Minimum speed 45." A maverick is a truck, everyone insists it is that and not a "trucklet," so...

Sponsored

SteelixRebel

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Chevy Colorado
Brake-in doesn't sound hard. I could do 1000 miles in 30 - 40 days, and my commute to and from work is half highway and half city/rural roads. As for the oil changes I think I'll do one at 1000, one at 3500, and another at 5000. After that I'll keep to a normal oil change schedule.

OP
OP
Rob Cactus Gray

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
who invited this guy
I'm in Illinois. Speed limit on some interstates is 75 but I avoid those anyway. The trouble is, when it was 65, people drove 80 on there. Now that it's 75, they're going 90. No kidding. I don't play that game.

I don't know where "BFE" is but it sounds similar. Here, every speed limit sign on those roads has two additional lines: "Trucks 65" And another sign below that: "Minimum speed 45." A maverick is a truck, everyone insists it is that and not a "trucklet," so...
BFE - but f*** Egypt or middle of nowhere. But I actually live near Tombstone AZ. Similar speed limits and people going 90 plus in 75 zones. Cops are plentiful here, more so than in Illinois so I stay 10 over.

I wouldn’t get the Maverick if I had to go the Semi Truck speed

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
1,000 Miles just getting home from the dealer?????
Oh! I'll bet you're one of those people who saved $300-400 by making the purchase out of state.
I'll bet your local dealer will drop everything they can to accommodate you every time you bring it in to them for service or repairs. :sneaky:
Actually dealers love it when people who bought their cars elsewhere come in for service… the service department is where the profits are in a dealership, not sales. That’s why SOME dealers sell at consistently low prices, they want that goodwill to extend to future service visits. I worked for a dealer group that is no hassle, no haggle and the customers loved it.

spyderman01

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I plan to drive 1000 miles home making a few stops aong the way to enjoy the trip!

JibbersCrabst

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Focus ST, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

"truck" speed limits only apply to heavy trucks, i.e. commercial vehicles, not passenger vehicles.
Sponsored