Threads
Reaction score
Website
fpdphotos.me
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick hybrid: Hot Pepper Red
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
any members here that can copy and paste the rest? Did it account the hybrid recall?
Yes, they listed four recalls for the Maverick: Electrical system/trailer brake, Rear seat belts, Fuel tank damage from spray-in Berliner, and Engine cooling/fuel vapor may be released into the engine compartment and accumulate near ignition sources.
Sponsored

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, VB, 2.0 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Preferring a 2.0L turbo 4 to a 3.5L N/A V6 from one of the best engine companies on the planet is super weird, but to each their own. I don't see the Maverick and Ridgeline as competitors. But literally everyone else on the planet laments the loss of naturally aspirated V6 engines except MTC people worried about a 105k timing belt service but not at all about the potential complications from a small turbo engine.

I'm buying a Maverick, and I have never considered a Ridgeline. But the J-series Honda V6 is a tried/true wonderful engine with a unique sound and smoothness.
Well said about the Honda engine. As I've pointed out here before, a Dallas car reviewer with a nationally syndicated show, says that Honda builds the best engines in the automotive world. I guess he believes it as he mostly drives an Acura.

However, when looking at a Ridgeline before ordering my XL 2.0 EB and I couldn't find a Ridgeline for less than $40k. I was looking for a smaller truck and the Ridgeline fit that mold for me. Most were well above that. Yes, I read the problems with the 2.0 EB motor, but also read how to prevent some of those problems by keeping it maintained. I change oil every 3k miles and take care of my vehicles. So, in considering both trucks, and the $15K difference, I can take the risk on a new to the market Maverick with an EB.

I stopped reading CR 20 years ago. Their bias for Asian products is well known. I probably will not ever buy an Asian brand, but I'm not stupid enough to dismiss them as inferior products. Honda and Toyota set the standards in quality in the automotive world and we should thank them for bringing standards up world wide.

Ponyprez

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang 2+2, 2008 Shelby GT500, 2015 Subaru
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah, I don't like the look either. The Maverick looks like a Ford truck and that's goodness in my book. The Ridgeline also still uses the Honda V-6, which gets comparatively lousy gas mileage and is one of the few gas engines produced that still uses a rubber timing belt. Plus the base cost of a Ridgeline is really high compared to a Maverick. For the price of the mid-level Ridgeline, I bought a Maverick XL Hybrid plus a new small pontoon boat. I'd rather have both any day, and the grandkids love the pontoon boat.
I agree, the ridgeline also has too much reach over to get to the bed without a lowering kit. By the way, love the 73 Mustang.

Scott Benhase

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a 2010 Ridgeline (and I love the angled bed sides). It's been a great truck. 150k on it and never a problem. The V6 is great, a real work horse. But like others have noted, getting 20 mpg is just not good anymore. My Mav Lariat CP360 arrives in early August, so I'll be selling my Ridgeline. I'm a bit sad, but looking forward to a more affordable vehicle on the road and still the ability to haul what I need to haul.

MLA62563

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I can assure you, my Maverick will still be a very nice truck in 5 years. I've had a LOT of vehicles over the years, and the Maverick doesn't feel cheaply built to me at all. Quite the opposite in fact.

Sponsored

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, VB, 2.0 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Given your criteria of "if it[']s reasonably taken care of," the Maverick will also be a fine truck in 5 years. :cool:

maverickeric

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 + Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Preferring a 2.0L turbo 4 to a 3.5L N/A V6 from one of the best engine companies on the planet is super weird, but to each their own. I don't see the Maverick and Ridgeline as competitors. But literally everyone else on the planet laments the loss of naturally aspirated V6 engines except MTC people worried about a 105k timing belt service but not at all about the potential complications from a small turbo engine.

I'm buying a Maverick, and I have never considered a Ridgeline. But the J-series Honda V6 is a tried/true wonderful engine with a unique sound and smoothness.
I'm with you on this. Timing belt/waterpump replacement isn't going to be that much different from a turbo replacement when you hit those miles....or dealing with a vacuum leak like I did with my last turbocharged car...what a pain that was. Hybrid has a potential battery replacement cost. IMO, at 100k miles all of these engine options could have a rather expensive repair.

I'm still looking forward to a base Maverick, because of the price. But if I need AWD, towing capabilities, and leather, the ridgeline would be an option to consider.

AndrewinMD

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
CR always favors Honda and Toyota. Sometimes with good cause, but the Ridgeline should not have been rated better than Maverick for the reasons Davnau mentions.
CR has some weird hangups and preferences, that's for sure. I remember reading about something, might have been an internet router, and they marked it WAY down because set up took like 2 minutes longer. You only set it up once, typically. Seemed like an arbitrary thing.

People say Hondas are crazy reliable, but I bought my daughter a Honda Fit and had nothing but problems with it, even though it only had 25k miles when I bought it (bad alternator, bad battery, bad injectors, random mysterious leak). Wound up trading it in for a VW Jetta.

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
People say Hondas are crazy reliable, but I bought my daughter a Honda Fit and had nothing but problems with it, even though it only had 25k miles when I bought it (bad alternator, bad battery, bad injectors, random mysterious leak). Wound up trading it in for a VW Jetta.
Your story is an anecdote which is meaningless in the grand scheme of things. I know it matters to you personally, but it does not change the fact that statistically Hondas are "crazy" reliable, much more so than VW - again, statistically speaking. I also had an absolute turd of an Acura product back in 2002.. a TL that had tons of problems. But I also understood that every company has bad apples. Some have more than others.

mlshirey

First Name
Michael Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
78 SuperBeetle 2018 2022 Maverick XL

2.0 Turbo in my XL kicks serious ass! Sport Mode Baby! Love my truck.

Sponsored

mlshirey

First Name
Michael Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think the bottom will fall out of the used car market in the next year, and some folks who paid 10k over for a Maverick will not be too happy.
No need to come in yet. We have everything we need. Guaranteed MSRP. From my dealer an hour ago!

mlshirey

First Name
Michael Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, they listed four recalls for the Maverick: Electrical system/trailer brake, Rear seat belts, Fuel tank damage from spray-in Berliner, and Engine cooling/fuel vapor may be released into the engine compartment and accumulate near ignition sources.
I didn't get any recall on my XL. All Systems Go as far as I can tell. Ford hasn't told me anything different.

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Engine
Undecided
Well said about the Honda engine. As I've pointed out here before, a Dallas car reviewer with a nationally syndicated show, says that Honda builds the best engines in the automotive world. I guess he believes it as he mostly drives an Acura.

However, when looking at a Ridgeline before ordering my XL 2.0 EB and I couldn't find a Ridgeline for less than $40k. I was looking for a smaller truck and the Ridgeline fit that mold for me. Most were well above that. Yes, I read the problems with the 2.0 EB motor, but also read how to prevent some of those problems by keeping it maintained. I change oil every 3k miles and take care of my vehicles. So, in considering both trucks, and the $15K difference, I can take the risk on a new to the market Maverick with an EB.

I stopped reading CR 20 years ago. Their bias for Asian products is well known. I probably will not ever buy an Asian brand, but I'm not stupid enough to dismiss them as inferior products. Honda and Toyota set the standards in quality in the automotive world and we should thank them for bringing standards up world wide.
May I ask what problems you are referring to with the 2.0 EB motor? I'm in the market and doing research on the eb and hybrid.

FloodingdowninTX

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Honda, Honda, Honda...
It's like Marsha, Marsha, .... with Consumers Union for 30 - 40 years now.
Sponsored