First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Is the 2.5 engine referred to as the "naturally aspirated" engine? Premium fuel burns slower than regular, is that correct? Thanks for your reply.
That may be the same engine in my 2012 Ford Escape, it's a 4 cylinder with front wheel drive.
Sponsored

kingranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ford.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Is the 2.5 engine referred to as the "naturally aspirated" engine? Premium fuel burns slower than regular, is that correct? Thanks for your reply.
Correct, 2.5L is naturally aspirated. It does not require premium fuel. Premium has better resistance to knock, so it is recommended for high horsepower, turbocharged, and high compression engines.

Keynotes13

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mathew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Matrix
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
1,500 payload sold it for me. Being able to load most if not all of it in the bed is a bonus. Thankfully I don’t tow anything so that number doesn’t factor for me. This truck is exactly what I’ve been waiting for. Very happy to see it come to life.

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Being a bit more mature (re: old) than many here I remember the first CVT's that hit the market. What a disaster. But, I'm sure they have come a long way since the dark ages. I too am puzzled that you can't get the AWD with the 2.5L hybrid.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Naturally aspirated means that the engine does not have increased power by means of a turbocharger or a supercharger, which force air into the engine. The 2.5 is a NA engine. The Duratec series also has a timing chain , not a belt, which was a big concern for me.

Sponsored

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Being a bit more mature (re: old) than many here I remember the first CVT's that hit the market. What a disaster. But, I'm sure they have come a long way since the dark ages. I too am puzzled that you can't get the AWD with the 2.5L hybrid.
The early CVTs (and some current ones) use a belt for the transmission operation. Look up info on the new eCVTs used by Ford and Toyota and you will find that they are mechanical using gears and are extremely simple. Electric motors have 100% torque at 0 rpm (instant) so that feature can be used continuously to modulate the infinite (continuous) “ratios.”

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
my wife's 2014 Subaru Outback has a CVT- and I hate it. When she steps on it to get into flow of traffic its sounds like it is badly slipping all the way up to 6K RPMs. A voice in the back of my head screams SHIFT DAMMIT SHIFT the whole time! The funniest part is they have paddle shifters and a sport mode with fake "hard shifts" standard in that thing! Not sure what type CVT is used there but I would never consider buying a vehicle equipped with that. I started driving (legally anyways) in 1974 and had a Summer job working in a transmission shop and slipping transmissions are burned into my memory ever since.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
maybe I'm missing it on specs or looking in the wrong place, but trying to find out if the base XL with 2.0 Turbo has push button start or an actual keyed ignition? Also if it has Auto start/stop - if so is there a disable button like my F-150 has? That, and if sway control included with 4k towing package are my only questions at this point.

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
my wife's 2014 Subaru Outback has a CVT- and I hate it. When she steps on it to get into flow of traffic its sounds like it is badly slipping all the way up to 6K RPMs. A voice in the back of my head screams SHIFT DAMMIT SHIFT the whole time! The funniest part is they have paddle shifters and a sport mode with fake "hard shifts" standard in that thing! Not sure what type CVT is used there but I would never consider buying a vehicle equipped with that. I started driving (legally anyways) in 1974 and had a Summer job working in a transmission shop and slipping transmissions are burned into my memory ever since.
I haven’t driven the ECVT yet. Going to try too soon. (Test drive Escape Hybrid)
but it sounds like it’s NOTHING like a normal CVT. Should be much more responsive.

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
maybe I'm missing it on specs or looking in the wrong place, but trying to find out if the base XL with 2.0 Turbo has push button start or an actual keyed ignition? Also if it has Auto start/stop - if so is there a disable button like my F-150 has? That, and if sway control included with 4k towing package are my only questions at this point.
1 - looking at the interior photos on the build and price site, only the lariat has push bottom start.

2 - every ford so far does have a button to disable start stop. (Ecosport, Escape, bronco sport) typically located near the traction control button.

Sponsored

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
1 - looking at the interior photos on the build and price site, only the lariat has push bottom start.

2 - every ford so far does have a button to disable start stop. (Ecosport, Escape, bronco sport) typically located near the traction control button.
push Bottom? Don't need that feature! Yeah, I saw the Lariat interior studio photos and they have the start push button blurred out. Seems like on specs though "remote keyless entry" and "key fob" could be standard across the range- unclear. thought I saw a picture somewhere of a key hanging out of side of steering column with a grey interior. A little confusing...

Also on those Lariat studio photos of interior I scrutinized them and couldn't see an obvious disable for auto start/stop. Our F-150 has it easily located on the dash next to radio. Didn't see the traction control either and assumed that photo example would be loaded with every option. Maybe I can find it on a sample window sticker someplace for confirmation...

kingranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ford.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The Hybrid's eCVT is far, far better than the belt/chain-drive CVTs in Subarus and Nissans. At least give it a spin at a dealership. I think it drives fantastically.

Last edited:

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Actually that Subaru trans isn’t slipping it’s just the trans being it’s most efficient. Subaru listened to complaints, our 2017 Impreza has computer programmed “shift points “ that you can’t tell from a regular automatic. The eCVT on the Maverick has no slipping, there are videos that show how they work.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Hybrid's eCVT is far, far better than the belt-drive CVTs in Subarus and Nissans. At least give it a spin at a dealership. I think it drives fantastically.
Subaru is chain drive, not belt.

ElMaverick

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Engine
Undecided
The Hybrid's eCVT is far, far better than the belt-drive CVTs in Subarus and Nissans. At least give it a spin at a dealership. I think it drives fantastically.
How would you compare it to the i3 turbo? Driving that one in a rental and I'm happy with it, but fear the hybrid will be even slower....the XLT 2.0 inches it's way out of my budget as soon as I add spray in bed, cover and copilot (just for the Blindspot)
Sponsored