Sponsored

Oil Changes Are Easy (with photos and explanation)

SlingerRing

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Ford Escape
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

This procedure is for the 2.0 ecos with FX4 skidplates. I've seen several threads and videos on doing the oil change on the FX4 Mavs, but all of them seemed like to much work. Lots of confusion out there and I'm here to try and dispel some notions (specifically about the skid plates) to make life a little easier. I'm including a couple of photos from my own oil change + some photos from others around this site for reference.

So, my first oil change: 6,000 miles. I do 90% highway driving/commuting. The intelligent oil-life monitored still said I had about 4,000 miles to go, but my mechanical spidey sense was tingling to much and decided to go ahead and put in some work.

FIRST, there are two skid plates and ONLY THE SMALLEST ONE UNDER THE BUMPER NEEDS TO BE REMOVED. There's 2 1/2 hex heads that require removal, no loctite. There's also 5ish torx bit fasteners that must be removed, I was able to remove them easily by hand alone. Once removed, the filter is easily accessed. I removed mine using a specialty filter socket (see photos). The filter stud is really long (took a lot of turns to remove) and ,from the factory, the filter was on SUPER tight for me. My socket actually punctured the filter. No bother. I stuck some shop towels directly underneath the filter and wrenched it off.

SECOND, the larger skid plate has an access cover in it for the drain plug. Only this plastic cover needs to be removed. One can do this simply by inserting a flat-head driver and carefully manipulating the retention tabs to take the cover out. The plug is offset, (see photos) but don't be concerned, there isn't a need for a diverter or anything. The drain plug is a 5/8ths hex head. Oil drained without getting on top of the skidplate. There was some light cleanup, but that was from me getting my fingers in the way.

Oil was darkish, but not green colored like the video from BlakesCars from Youtube. I did smell some gasoline, but it wasn't bad at all. I probably could have gone a few thousand miles more like the oil life monitor estimated.

So, no need to muscle with the larger skid plate. Those have loctite for a reason. To be honest, if one simply had a breaker bar, the blue loctite wouldn't pose much trouble at all. Even taking off the large plate wouldn't be a large inconvenience. The 3 photos showing the small panel, filter, and plug are not mine. The two of the oil draining and the socket are OC. Hope this helps. 5.5 quarts of oil. Motorcraft 5W-30. Synthetic Blend. Motorcraft Filter FL-910S.

Ford Maverick Oil Changes Are Easy (with photos and explanation) 1ED0EC44-601F-4CC4-8D24-69BCDEB720BC

Ford Maverick Oil Changes Are Easy (with photos and explanation) 986EF501-37BD-4D25-83F1-94ACABAF8D5B

Ford Maverick Oil Changes Are Easy (with photos and explanation) 2882D61A-CA87-4D82-BE43-D14DBA2A5CB2

Ford Maverick Oil Changes Are Easy (with photos and explanation) 20220312_101947

Ford Maverick Oil Changes Are Easy (with photos and explanation) 20220312_104722
Sponsored

Last edited:

KeinoDoggy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid and Outback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've seen several threads and videos on doing the oil change on the Mav, but all of them seemed like to much work. Lots of confusion out there and I'm here to try and dispel some notions (specifically about the skid plates) to make life a little easier. I'm including a couple of photos from my own oil change + some photos from others around this site for reference.

So, my first oil change: 6,000 miles. I do 90% highway driving/commuting. The intelligent oil-life monitored still said I had about 4,000 miles to go, but my mechanical spidey sense was tingling to much and decided to go ahead and put in some work.

FIRST, there are two skid plates and ONLY THE SMALLEST ONE UNDER THE BUMPER NEEDS TO BE REMOVED. There's 2 1/2 hex heads that require removal, no loctite. There's also 5ish torx bit fasteners that must be removed, I was able to remove them easily by hand alone. Once removed, the filter is easily accessed. I removed mine using a specialty filter socket (see photos). The filter stud is really long (took a lot of turns to remove) and ,from the factory, the filter was on SUPER tight for me. My socket actually punctured the filter. No bother. I stuck some shop towels directly underneath the filter and wrenched it off.

SECOND, the larger skid plate has an access cover in it for the drain plug. Only this plastic cover needs to be removed. One can do this simply by inserting a flat-head driver and carefully manipulating the retention tabs to take the cover out. The plug is offset, (see photos) but don't be concerned, there isn't a need for a diverter or anything. The drain plug is a 5/8ths hex head. Oil drained without getting on top of the skidplate. There was some light cleanup, but that was from me getting my fingers in the way.

Oil was darkish, but not green colored like the video from BlakesCars from Youtube. I did smell some gasoline, but it wasn't bad at all. I probably could have gone a few thousand miles more like the oil life monitor estimated.

So, no need to muscle with the larger skid plate. Those have loctite for a reason. To be honest, if one simply had a breaker bar, the blue loctite wouldn't pose much trouble at all. Even taking off the large plate wouldn't be a large inconvenience. The 3 photos showing the small panel, filter, and plug are not mine. The two of the oil draining and the socket are OC. Hope this helps. 5.5 - 6quarts of oil. Motorcraft 5W-30. Synthetic Blend.

1ED0EC44-601F-4CC4-8D24-69BCDEB720BC.jpeg

986EF501-37BD-4D25-83F1-94ACABAF8D5B.jpeg

2882D61A-CA87-4D82-BE43-D14DBA2A5CB2.jpeg

20220312_101947.jpg

20220312_104722.jpg
It appears that the hybrid oil change is also extremely easy and I like that the oil filter is also easily accessible and that it is not sitting sideways on the engine.

Hybrid Oil Change

93nighthawk

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Transit 150, 97 Aerostar AWD, future XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thank you for posting this!

NJ Pinelands

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've seen several threads and videos on doing the oil change on the Mav, but all of them seemed like to much work. Lots of confusion out there and I'm here to try and dispel some notions (specifically about the skid plates) to make life a little easier. I'm including a couple of photos from my own oil change + some photos from others around this site for reference.

So, no need to muscle with the larger skid plate. Those have loctite for a reason. To be honest, if one simply had a breaker bar, the blue loctite wouldn't pose much trouble at all. Even taking off the large plate wouldn't be a large inconvenience. The 3 photos showing the small panel, filter, and plug are not mine. The two of the oil draining and the socket are OC. Hope this helps. 5.5 - 6quarts of oil. Motorcraft 5W-30. Synthetic Blend.

1ED0EC44-601F-4CC4-8D24-69BCDEB720BC.jpeg

986EF501-37BD-4D25-83F1-94ACABAF8D5B.jpeg

2882D61A-CA87-4D82-BE43-D14DBA2A5CB2.jpeg

20220312_101947.jpg

20220312_104722.jpg
Unless you like to tinker with cars, why are you doing your own oil changes? Aren’t you getting Free oil changes for life at your dealer ?

Brian_J

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 R6, HPR Maverick AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Unless you like to tinker with cars, why are you doing your own oil changes? Aren’t you getting Free oil changes for life at your dealer ?
This is not a standard ford policy. Probably just your dealer offering it.

Sponsored

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is not a standard ford policy. Probably just your dealer offering it.
So they can find something to bill you for.

OP
OP
SlingerRing

SlingerRing

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Ford Escape
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

psuarmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am so glad to hear this. I change my own and I was afraid skid plate needed to come off.

Big Bob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘51 Dodge M37, ‘14 VW JettaTDI, ‘22 Subaru Impreza
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks for the info! It’s nice to see an oil change be easily attainable from the shade tree mechanic point of view!

Scooter66

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford F-150 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My maverick is a XLT 2.0 Ecoboost with FX4 and 4K Tow. A couple of things I do differently as I am on my fourth oil change. I changed my oil at 1,000 then on the 4,000s. I am close to 12,000 miles now and will do another oil change this weekend. After watching a Ford mechanic (Ford Boss Me on Youtube) warning ecoboost owners never to go over 5,000 miles, I decided to change my oil every 4,000 miles. Also I use Mobil 1 Full Synthetic and I try to use the Motorcraft Filter but lately Walmart has been out of stock. I am using a Fram Ultra Synthetic now and have one for this weekend. I take off the main skid plate; which hasn't been a problem just a bit more work. I have ramps but still have to transition with a couple of pieces of 2x6s so the front rubber skirts don't rub on the ramps. ALSO and this I learned from the videos to prime the oil filter by cranking the engine in "Flood Clear" mode for 15 to 20 seconds; this helps prevent wear/damage upon start up by getting the oil pressure up. This is easy, as all you need to do is push the accelerator down fully before starting to crank. The computer will not let it fire (and I suspect turns off the fuel pump). Then (after 15 seconds or so) just let off the accelerator and it will fire right up.

Sponsored

ValenciaOrange

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for the info. I tried to do an oil change once and could not get off the filter. I gave up, and went to have it changed.

I might try again.

OP
OP
SlingerRing

SlingerRing

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Ford Escape
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

My maverick is a XLT 2.0 Ecoboost with FX4 and 4K Tow. A couple of things I do differently as I am on my fourth oil change. I changed my oil at 1,000 then on the 4,000s. I am close to 12,000 miles now and will do another oil change this weekend. After watching a Ford mechanic (Ford Boss Me on Youtube) warning ecoboost owners never to go over 5,000 miles, I decided to change my oil every 4,000 miles. Also I use Mobil 1 Full Synthetic and I try to use the Motorcraft Filter but lately Walmart has been out of stock. I am using a Fram Ultra Synthetic now and have one for this weekend. I take off the main skid plate; which hasn't been a problem just a bit more work. I have ramps but still have to transition with a couple of pieces of 2x6s so the front rubber skirts don't rub on the ramps. ALSO and this I learned from the videos to prime the oil filter by cranking the engine in "Flood Clear" mode for 15 to 20 seconds; this helps prevent wear/damage upon start up by getting the oil pressure up. This is easy, as all you need to do is push the accelerator down fully before starting to crank. The computer will not let it fire (and I suspect turns off the fuel pump). Then (after 15 seconds or so) just let off the accelerator and it will fire right up.
Thanks for the info on priming the filter. I'll give that a go next oil change. I can definitely see someone changing that oil every 3-5K if primarily doing short trips in the city and constantly stopping, then accelerating, then stopping...etc....turbo pumping more fuel in without the engine ever heating up enough to burn off the continual fuel ingress.

Nighowl2000

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford Maverick lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

jc888888888

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat eco boost, Mustang Mach E , Porsche Boxster
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
thanks! much appreciated