Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

We just caught a Ford Maverick prototype testing with an interesting combination of leftover camouflage that gives some new insight on how Ford tried to disguise the Maverick’s pickup truck roots during its development.

The prototype is completely undisguised, except for a faux roof/bed cap section suspended over the truck bed. It’s the first time we’ve seen the structure that was employed underneath the vinyl camouflage, and how Ford achieved the impression of a three-row SUV on initial Maverick prototypes.

Given that the Maverick lacks traditional “stake holes” on the tops of its bed rails, we have to assume that the fake roof supports are screwed into the inner sides of the truck bed, using the four threaded holes that Ford has provided for cargo management. Beyond the curiosity factor, it also gives us a taste of what a potential suspended rack might look like as an aftermarket accessory to add more cargo capability above the Maverick’s Flexbed.

Ford Maverick Spied: Maverick's Fake Bed Cap Roof Revealed On Undisguised Prototype 2022-maverick-fake-roof-undisguised-1

Ford Maverick Spied: Maverick's Fake Bed Cap Roof Revealed On Undisguised Prototype 2022-maverick-fake-roof-undisguised-2

Ford Maverick Spied: Maverick's Fake Bed Cap Roof Revealed On Undisguised Prototype 2022-maverick-fake-roof-undisguised-3

Ford Maverick Spied: Maverick's Fake Bed Cap Roof Revealed On Undisguised Prototype 2022-maverick-fake-roof-undisguised-4

Ford Maverick Spied: Maverick's Fake Bed Cap Roof Revealed On Undisguised Prototype 2022-maverick-fake-roof-undisguised-5

Ford Maverick Spied: Maverick's Fake Bed Cap Roof Revealed On Undisguised Prototype 2022-maverick-fake-roof-undisguised-6

Ford Maverick Spied: Maverick's Fake Bed Cap Roof Revealed On Undisguised Prototype 2022-maverick-fake-roof-undisguised-7

Ford Maverick Spied: Maverick's Fake Bed Cap Roof Revealed On Undisguised Prototype 2022-maverick-fake-roof-undisguised-8
Sponsored

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hell I don’t know, slap some mesquite netting on that baby and you got your truck camper. 😊

Ribwich

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ford Maverick Longtail confirmed. 🤔

Nauszja

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 AWD Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm glad they're testing that in the rain 😂

Sponsored

Platinum2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Looks like a future accessory. This would help solve the kayak problem. Note the brake light.

Sponsored

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Interesting look. I wonder what the idea is with cover, which I'm guessing would permanent since there's a brake light installed. I can't imagine they would be looking to make a SUV version of the Maverick since Ford has other SUVs to offer. Inquiring minds want to know! :)

RobA979

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Sport Trac
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wonder how old that prototype is? Looks very beat up with scratches all over it.

Platinum2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Interesting look. I wonder what the idea is with cover, which I'm guessing would permanent since there's a brake light installed. I can't imagine they would be looking to make a SUV version of the Maverick since Ford has other SUVs to offer. Inquiring minds want to know! :)
My guess is kayaks on top, gear down below?

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
Hell I don’t know, slap some mesquite netting on that baby and you got your truck camper. 😊
Mesquite netting? Camper? Have we decided Johnathan Swift’s modest proposal is the next 1984? If so my soylent green prefers AOC 10k presidential bills to fully bring out that Smokey rat flavour (running out of literary references here)

Sirk

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick XL Hybrid, '05 Honda Element
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm not quite sure about the pagoda roof treatment, but I'm 100% in on the all black Lariat wheel treatment. Finally, the Lariat wheels show some attitude.
Sponsored