First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram, 2005, 2500 Diesel, 22 Lariat, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have seen many comments and threads on how the gas cap cover on the Maverick pops open when you lean against it when putting something in the bed for example or when you just lean against it. I have also seen many discussions on whether the Mav should have a locking gas cap. These discussions immediately came to mind when I saw the following story. Times really have changed!!! Usually for the better, but not always... The rate of car theft was much lower "back in the day"!

STOLEN '56 CHEVY

A man who owns a magnificent '56 Chevy tells the following story: One hot summer day, he decided to drive to town to get some ice cream. He noticed his gas gauge was on empty and knew he needed to get gas after he got his ice cream.

The street with the ice cream shop was very busy and he had to park on a side street. As he parked, he noticed three young men eyeing his vehicle. He was a bit concerned but the Chevy always drew a lot of attention. So, he went to the ice cream shop; it was quite busy, and it took him some time to order and eat his ice cream.

When he returned to the side street, his fears were confirmed: His car was gone. He immediately reported it to the police. Less than ten minutes later they called and said they had found his car unharmed. They had received a call from a young lady at a self-service station. Three young men had pulled in with a classic Chevy Bel Aire and pre-paid for twenty dollars in gas. She saw all three men walked around the Chevy several times and then get in and drive away getting no gas. The vehicle was found a few blocks away.

Why would the men steal a car, then pay for gasoline and drive off without putting in a drop of gas?? They could not find where to put the gas.:D

Ford Maverick Maverick's gas cap cover and no-lock gas cap image3
Sponsored

MayerMR

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 Jeep Wagoneer XJ, '14 Ram, '22 Ford Maverick
Lucky owner, right there

OP
OP

CG - All the way

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram, 2005, 2500 Diesel, 22 Lariat, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I bought my Mother's Chevelle after she passed. The gas filler tube on it was behind the license plate. It was a terrible design and a real pain in the posterior to use! I guess many of the "new kids on the block" would not know where to put gas in it either. I believe I will be happy the with my Maverick's gas filling system, WHEN I receive it.

I see lots of innovative Maverick mods on this forum. This could an area for a really innovative mod!!!! :unsure: Filler tube in the bedside cubby?? Just saying......

Last edited:

crgator

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My '62 VW you had to lift the "hood" to fill up with gas. It was in the front of the car.
My '69 VW had a gas flap so you no longer had to lift the "hood".
Ford Maverick Maverick's gas cap cover and no-lock gas cap 1653934073185
Sponsored