Sponsored

Why are Mav hybrids cheaper than non-hybrids?

joetendo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
José
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ford Ranger XLT 2.3l, 2012 Honda Accord LE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sorry if this has been discussed, I tried searching around a bit, and I'm guessing I just didn't search well enough, because this is confounding.

This is the only car that I know of with a cheaper hybrid version. I know having a massive battery eliminates the need for a few parts, but can it really offset the price of the battery itself?
Sponsored

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
1) Because Ford wanted to lead with the hybrid powertrain for average fleet efficiency ratings (manufacturers have targets to reach from the EPA).

2) Because the ICE is the 2.0L EB. If it was the 1.5L EB, it would be less expensive than the hybrid. The 2.0L EB evidently costs Ford more than the hybrid powertrain.

For reference, a 2022 Escape SEL 2.0L AWD is $35,835.

2022 Escape SEL Hybrid AWD is $35,285.

Prices quoted are with AWD because the 2.0L EB engine in an Escape requires AWD, so the Hybrid price is AWD to make a fair comparison.

ffoc01

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav Hyb FE, 2014 Flex
The hybrid is a loss leader. It scores big points with the EPA so that how Ford justifies making it cheaper. I'd also be willing to bet they were surprised by the hybrid take-rate, hence the supply constraints (among other reasons). It's also why we may never see an AWD hybrid Maverick. Why would Ford increase demand for a drivetrain they are losing money on?

HappyCat

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT-4k tow-FX4-Iconic Silver
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Prices quoted are with AWD because the 2.0L EB engine in an Escape requires AWD, so the Hybrid price is AWD to make a fair comparison.
This. I think most people who get the Mav with EB want/need the AWD and/or 4k tow. That was my decision process. And those cost extra. Hybrid and FWD EB are close in price.

Sponsored

Akuma72387

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That and they knew that people like me who weren't gonna buy the hybrid would pay the additional cost of having it. I also wanted the AWD so it worked out. had they done it backwards and had the Hyrbid be the only AWD version I would have just not had it... I'm super happy that I do though cause the truck was great all winter and drove through all the storms like they weren't there

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The hybrid is a loss leader. It scores big points with the EPA so that how Ford justifies making it cheaper. I'd also be willing to bet they were surprised by the hybrid take-rate, hence the supply constraints (among other reasons). It's also why we may never see an AWD hybrid Maverick. Why would Ford increase demand for a drivetrain they are losing money on?
I think they'll do a plug in hybrid with AWD and charge significantly more. 2024 possibly

Akuma72387

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think they'll do a plug in hybrid with AWD and charge significantly more. 2024 possibly
They are doing both a PHEV and a Lightning (Full EV) version of the Maverick in the coming model years. I can't say 100% what model years but ford did confirm that the Lightning will come to both Rangers and Mavericks. I plan on trading my Maverick in for a newer model in either the 24 or 25 model years cause I had to use mine for work and racked up WAAAYY to many miles in the first year, Over 22k, I would normally put about 10-11k on in a year. I am hoping for a Maverick ST or Raptor myself. I think a more powerful, be it twin turbo or just bigger engine with a turbo, would sell pretty well but I also know that ford just like everyone else is looking at that 2030 mark so I am not super hopeful

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
1) Because Ford wanted to lead with the hybrid powertrain for average fleet efficiency ratings (manufacturers have targets to reach from the EPA).

2) Because the ICE is the 2.0L EB. If it was the 1.5L EB, it would be less expensive than the hybrid. The 2.0L EB evidently costs Ford more than the hybrid powertrain.

For 2023MY Maverick and Escape, this difference has gone away, anyway. 2.0L EB and FHEV are the same price.

Sponsored

AznMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid Lariat Built 3-9-23, Chevy EUV, Lexus RX350
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You got a spring chicken. This guy has 58k on his Ecoboost! Holding up pretty well it looks like. So that's a good sign. Wonder if he's ever on here.

I'm happy Ford didn't go Japanese route and add the hybrid tax to the Maverick. The upcharge never makes sense. They earned a new customer as we had a CR-V and a Mercedes. Never considered buying a Ford until the Maverick and the shockingly good mpg. My wife's lead foot made the crv a 26 mpg machine so there's that 🤣. It was supposed to be her truck but she got a Bolt EUV and loves it so I guess I will be giving up my RX350 when the Maverick comes.

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Because it cost 40% less to build an EV physical from a man power perspective. Labor is a big piece of anything built these days.
Sponsored