Sponsored

Which do you think will have less problems/ better longevity the hybrid or eco boost?

MavrickEcoBoost

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Thank you also I work at a Ford dealer in Parts and literally was looking at the parts catalog when putting those figures in. It is 100% accurate.
Also I will add that is just parts. Not the actual labor to do the work. By the look of how the battery was in there I think it would need the cab taken off to get to it.
Sponsored

bradFORD

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My brother, son and best friend used high octane gasoline and every one of them had problems after the factory warranty on EB. Check Engine lights all the time and FORD wants $200 just to check the turbo issue!!!!

ColoradoShooter

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma/Fusion
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I still haven’t read a reply that says the 2.5L/Hybrid system is more reliable than the 2.0EB engine. Where is the FORD only evidence? We aren’t buying a Toyota, a Honda or any other make of vehicle. So far, the only credible info is from a Ford parts person. Everything is just conjecture.

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Luxury CO360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a limited understanding, but I think Atkinson engines have less chance if carbon buildup thank the Otto direct injection engines due to the valves being opened for part of the combustion stroke. I think it exposes gasoline detergent to the injectors.

Also, no turbo.

Also, I think electric motors are probably very durable, especially the brushless kind.

Also, the eCVT seems beautifully simple compared to almost any type of automatic transmission. No pressure fluid pressure, no clutches go wear, no gears to change, no CVT belts.

I believe the most vulnerable part of the whole system is the battery, but that's designed to wear out and is not likely to have catastrophic failure, just inhibit mpg over time.

Here's hoping both prove to be extraordinarily reliable!

I'm expecting double the durability from the Hybrid. The turbo and increased HP in a small 4 cylinder impose much greater stress on the internal components. Plus the ECVT trans is very simple and proven in the escape hybrid. The natural aspirated Atkinson cycle has much less power and less stress, plus no carbon build up because of port injection that cleans the back side of the intake valves. Now all of this is not to say the Ecoboost will have poor durability - that engine is pretty well proven and been used for years now. Just that the Hybrid drive has been incredible in the past - some escape hybrids with almost identical setup have 600k miles on them!!!

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm expecting double the durability from the Hybrid. The turbo and increased HP in a small 4 cylinder impose much greater stress on the internal components. Plus the ECVT trans is very simple and proven in the escape hybrid. The natural aspirated Atkinson cycle has much less power and less stress, plus no carbon build up because of port injection that cleans the back side of the intake valves. Now all of this is not to say the Ecoboost will have poor durability - that engine is pretty well proven and been used for years now. Just that the Hybrid drive has been incredible in the past - some escape hybrids with almost identical setup have 600k miles on them!!!
one example: https://thenewswheel.com/ford-escape-hybrid-400k-miles/

Sponsored

MavrickEcoBoost

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I’ve run two eco boost without the first issue. One was this 2.0 in an Edge and now 2.3 in my Ranger. The company I work for has multiple Eco Boost well over 200k so I would need more proof the hybrid that is in no other platform is reliable.

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’ve run two eco boost without the first issue. One was this 2.0 in an Edge and now 2.3 in my Ranger. The company I work for has multiple Eco Boost well over 200k so I would need more proof the hybrid that is in no other platform is reliable.
The hybrid platform is the same engine going back through 2009 it's the Ford Duratec 2.5L any web search will pull up a lot of examples of a great engine running very high miles with no issues. It's mated to the "newish" electric motor for 2022 maverick. But it's the same hybrid system from the Escape hybrid

MavrickEcoBoost

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
The hybrid platform is the same engine going back through 2009 it's the Ford Duratec 2.5L any web search will pull up a lot of examples of a great engine running very high miles with no issues. It's mated to the "newish" electric motor for 2022 maverick. But it's the same hybrid system from the Escape hybrid
That is one concern but I’m looking more so at the transmission. Sure it’s a platform used at other Oes but a clutch plate on other models have been big issues for Ford. I’ll have to see that in action before I’d buy one.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That is one concern but I’m looking more so at the transmission. Sure it’s a platform used at other Oes but a clutch plate on other models have been big issues for Ford. I’ll have to see that in action before I’d buy one.
So by that logic every Ford transmission is suspect because of the Powershift having 'a clutch' as well?

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
To be fair, my Fords have exceeded 200,000 miles with the exception of two and only because they just haven't reached that mileage yet. One of them is well over 300,000 miles. I firmly believe that it is not the vehicle so much as it is the preventative maintenance - like the fat man that doesn't exercise, killing over at 50 - and the Jack LaLanne's of the world easily making it into their 90's.
I think this is so true of mostly of nearly every vehicle. If properly maintained they can go hundreds of thousands of miles. Everything depends on the owner doing their part to due the required maintenance in a timely manner. Sure there are some vehicles that due poor designs just won't last but for the more part all the big name automakers have vehicles that had tons of miles on them. Personally, I've only owned one vehicle, '08 F150, that I put over 100k on it. In the past, I'd usually get bored with a vehicle after a few years and sell it, but they were all been used vehicles that were near or over 100k.

Sponsored

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Also I will add that is just parts. Not the actual labor to do the work. By the look of how the battery was in there I think it would need the cab taken off to get to it.
If you're talking about the Hybrid battery it's located underneath the truck on the passenger side and looks to be accessible from underneath the truck. My salesman said there are two panels covering the battery and would be easy enough to remove to replace the battery, but with a 80k warranty coverage I'm not going to worry about that for a long while.

Brsbill

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 sta
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Brsbill

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 sta
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Careful there was also a 2.5l v6 duratec that was famous for its reliability when you google search.

Last edited:

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What’s up with the clutch torque damper plate on Ford hybrids? I thought it was just a safety breakaway feature if the ICE gets wacky to protect the other components.

Edit: i looked up more info its function is different than i thought. Literally dampening vibrations lol.

Last edited:

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What’s up with the clutch torque damper plate on Ford hybrids? I thought it was just a safety breakaway feature if the ICE gets wacky to protect the other components.
The guy who does the videos for Weber State Univ. describes how it works in the Toyota hybrids. If I understand it, he says it provides a damping function between the ICE and the electric side when there is sudden acceleration of one part of the system.

The damping springs look pretty much like they do in a regular clutch, but the pressure plate is under a constant fixed pressure and is never "operated" like it is in a regular transmission. So the springs damp the vibration and the clutch plate can "slip" if the torque difference is enough to overcome the set pressure.

3rd Generation Toyota Hybrid (eCVT) Transaxles - YouTube
Sponsored