Sponsored

Which do you think will have less problems/ better longevity the hybrid or eco boost?

Fish Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius LE, Ford F150
Now that's a really good question. On the one hand, a hybrid night have a few more parts, and the more parts, the more chances for failure. However, with a hybrid vehicle, some of the wear and tear is taken off of the ICE, and can add longevity.
I'm hearing great things about the durability of the newer Prius.... 300K miles does not seem to be a big deal.

Jasperw229

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 22, Lariat fx4, 4k tow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ya, as a proud owner of an ecoboost order, I'm convinced that the hybrid is a better vehicle for longevity

Sponsored

slashy42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Now that's a really good question. On the one hand, a hybrid night have a few more parts, and the more parts, the more chances for failure. However, with a hybrid vehicle, some of the wear and tear is taken off of the ICE, and can add longevity.
I'm hearing great things about the durability of the newer Prius.... 300K miles does not seem to be a big deal.
The hybrid has less parts by way of the transmission being much simpler, and its a naturally aspirated engine vs a turbo. Additionally it has a longer warranty... They don't offer that because it needs it, but because they can offer it for that long knowing it isn't going to cost them to do it.

I still bought the Eco Boost, though, as I needed the AWD.

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
Another vote for hybrid. Yeah it has hybrid components, but it also doesn't have direct injection (potential carbon/coking issues), a turbocharger, intercooler, planetary gear transmission, or accessory drive system.

I'm holding my breath to see if a hybrid AWD will be available in a couple years and/or by the mid-cycle refresh.

ColoradoShooter

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma/Fusion
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What specific parts in the 2.0EB are less durable than those in the 2.5L motor? Is there a metallurgy or heat treat issue with the connecting rods, pins or crankshaft? Or how about the OHC’s? Piston ring gaps closing on the 2.0EB as opposed to the 2.5 being naturally aspirated that can’t happen? What? Or is this all a bunch random guesses hoping that the option you bought was the right one?

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a limited understanding, but I think Atkinson engines have less chance if carbon buildup than the Otto direct injection engines due to the valves being opened for part of the combustion stroke. I think it exposes gasoline detergent to the injectors.

Also, no turbo.

Also, I think electric motors are probably very durable, especially the brushless kind.

Also, the eCVT seems beautifully simple compared to almost any type of automatic transmission. No pressure fluid pressure, no clutches go wear, no gears to change, no CVT belts.

I believe the most vulnerable part of the whole system is the battery, but that's designed to wear out and is not likely to have catastrophic failure, just inhibit mpg over time.

Here's hoping both prove to be extraordinarily reliable!

Last edited:
Sponsored

Tulros

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tulros
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lux Lariat, AWD, 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just wait until those hybrid parts break, and they will. You'll find that there are not generics, they cost a fortune and many mechanics won't touch them. This is coming from a current hybrid owner.
I had an inverter leak from the charger/inverter units. Both parts were $5,000 each... OEM only, no generic. Have fun with that.

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just wait until those hybrid parts break, and they will. You'll find that there are not generics, they cost a fortune and many mechanics won't touch them. This is coming from a current hybrid owner.
I had an inverter leak from the charger/inverter units. Both parts were $5,000 each... OEM only, no generic. Have fun with that.
What is your current hybrid vehicle?

RGinFL

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think the Hybrid is the winner. I have been driving 1.8/2.0 Audi/VW Turbos for the last 12 years. The turbos are great engines with high performance. The Hybrid is the future. The 100,000 Mile Hybrid warranty is strong.
The electric motor is assisting the gas motor so I have to believe the Hybrid has better longevity. If it has less problems remain to be seen...

hcforde

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Hawley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Insight, E350, Toyota Sequoia
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I understand how you are feeling, but you can't base one car on the whole of the genre of the hundreds of thousands that have been produced. I have a 2010 Honda Insight and have had no issues.

flyjum

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's the same basic design as the prius(early firs hybrids used aisin eCVT units even) There is five on my local Craigslist right now with over 500k miles on them one has 775k miles. The hybrid will be more reliable vs the ecoboost as far as the power train is concerned. This is not to say people won't see 200k+ out of the ecoboost setup ect.

I have a slight concern with the body electronics as lots of newer cars are having some issues with those parts. The rear suspension won't have any issues on the fwd but I do think we will see some wear and maintenance required on all models for the front suspension. This is common of all fwd based vehicles it seems. Fit and finish durability should be exceptional at this price point.
Sponsored