Sponsored

When are you doing your first Hybrid oil change?

OC-D

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In the past, my conventional thinking is do the first oil change at 500-1K miles to get rid of any manufacturing filings and what not. But I’m thinking I actually might wait until around 5K and gave it serviced by the dealer. This is based on @STARCOMMTREY1 commenting on his 1K oil change and the YouTube video showing clean oil at 5400 miles. It’s not really a cost consideration, it’s more a ‘does this really help any’. Not trying to waste oil, money for no reason.

What is everyone else thinking?
Sponsored

casanewt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 KIA Sportage X-Line Prestige PHEV
Engine
Undecided
In the past, my conventional thinking is do the first oil change at 500-1K miles to get rid of any manufacturing filings and what not. But I’m thinking I actually might wait until around 5K and gave it serviced by the dealer. This is based on @STARCOMMTREY1 commenting on his 1K oil change and the YouTube video showing clean oil at 5400 miles. It’s not really a cost consideration, it’s more a ‘does this really help any’. Not trying to waste oil, money for no reason.

I would say that if it weighs on your mind, just do it early. It is cheap insurance and piece of mind and oil gets recycled. Even if the oil in these examples looks clean, without proper oil analysis, we don't know what is in those samples. That being said, I will not be doing it early. I go by factory recommendations. YMMV!

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Keep in mind the oil filter from Hermasillo is TINY!

OP
OP

OC-D

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Keep in mind the oil filter from Hermasillo is TINY!
great point, I’ll have to review that Hybrid oil change video, that demo Mav might have been non-standard in some ways. Thanks!

Mavman123

First Name
Joe Shmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid Maverick XLT
Probably 8000 to 10000 miles with light, low duty driving. Modern full synthetic oil is amazing stuff. All the junkies changing oil at 500 to 2k miles are just wasting money. Yes I know oil and filters are cheap but it's still a waste. Interval will be more like 5k if I'm towing it hauling excessive amounts

Sponsored

ITSATRUCK

First Name
TIM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MAVERICK
I may have but probably not as this is the internet worked for an OEM that built engines with sand still left in the casting. If this was an actual issue the way to fix it would have been an oil change within 500 to 1000 miles. Otherwise serious damage would occur.

I plan on changing oil within first few thousand miles.

8211badger

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda fit
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm planning on doing it around 2k total miles. So probably around 1k actual engine miles. Maybe not necessary but whatever.

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Probably 8000 to 10000 miles with light, low duty driving. Modern full synthetic oil is amazing stuff. All the junkies changing oil at 500 to 2k miles are just wasting money. Yes I know oil and filters are cheap but it's still a waste. Interval will be more like 5k if I'm towing it hauling excessive amounts
If you saw the stock hybrid filter you would change it too.....also the reports of green oil out of the EBs

Geep

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT luxury hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I may have but probably not as this is the internet worked for an OEM that built engines with sand still left in the casting. If this was an actual issue the way to fix it would have been an oil change within 500 to 1000 miles. Otherwise serious damage would occur.

I plan on changing oil within first few thousand miles.
are sand molds still used for mass production casting?

Sponsored

KimTexas

First Name
Berly Ann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid - 🌵 Grey
When Ford Pass App says oil life has expired (mfg recommend)

inthecabin

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

From the Ranger forums they say the factory oil fills have a special formula for break-in period. I waited 5k before changing it. Really clean still then.. I’m old school and was going to do at 500 miles but I waited..

your choice.

OP
OP

OC-D

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Good to know about the factory break in oil! I think I’ll wait to closer to 5-7.5K
Sponsored