Washing, waxing, upkeep.

sjdmav11/5/21

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
toyota rav 4 mazdacx-5
Wow! That looks awesome!!! Forget about driving it around, just sit on your porch in a rocking chair admiring this beauty. You did a great job cleaning and shinning. Well done.
Did you do a self shine afterwards?
Sponsored

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How is everyone doing in terms of cosmetic upkeep? First week I got it I did an iron remover, clay bar, wash, sealant. Then I’ve been doing wash and spray wax once a week since. Seems to be doing a pretty good job.

Trying to keep the shine of the new factory paint as long as possible and keep some UV protection with me living in Florida.

Thinking I’ll do another round of sealant around month three and try to keep up the weekly washing and spray waxing.

Also just bought a spray and rinse ceramic wax from meguiars. Going to add that in occasionally.

Anyone else have a routine going or a favorite product?
When I was co-owner of a detailing business, we always used Meguiars products, but that was 30 years ago. There are probably other products out there that are equal if not better.

Anyone have an easy to use, spray on wheel cleaner they can recommend?

cavemold

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022 Eco 2.0
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Once I get my bed liner in I will get hand wash , and wax it . I don’t plan taking to mister wash after all scratch the paint . If all else fails I wash it my self.

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for the info! I also use the two bucket method with grit guards, always hand wash. Usually rinse first, then foam cannon, then microfiber mitt. Been using a meguiar tire shine gel and turbo wax wheel cleaner each week as well. Currently using Adams car shampoo for the washes. Used iron x and Jescar Powerlock plus sealant after first wash. Then Meguiars quik wax weekly.

I should probably look closer at getting better microfiber. I have just what I picked up at Walmart, though I always thoroughly check for any debris before each use.

I’d like to keep trying different things though, so nice to hear what others are doing.
I use the microfiber bar towels from Costco. Figured if they're good enough for glasses, they should be ok for paint.

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Used Meguiar’s Hybrid Ceramic Spray Wax today after the wash. Looks pretty good and has paint feeling smooth as glass.
5B66807E-3BE3-4853-ABAE-5EFD46ADFC0A.jpeg
That is stunningly beautiful. Nice job!

Sponsored

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just wash at the local self-serve car wash here in Coppell:

109 Van Bebber Dr Coppell, TX 75019

I use the leftmost bay.

I do the soap wash followed by rinse then a final rinse which puts down a fine wax mist.

The wand even with not pulling the trigger emits a mild spray and that works great for the final rinse.

After washing my wife helps in drying the Maverick.

Total cost is $3.50. Minimum is $1.25 to start but I put in the entire $3.50 so I don't have to stop and put in another $1.25 two more times.

There is a dollar(s) to quarter changer on the building between the six bays.

I used this car wash on my 1998 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCab that I had for 16+ years and never had any issues with this wash.

I only use the wand and never the brush because who knows what was left on the brush from the last person who used it. So basically I do a brushless wash.

I also like that you can use the wand's powerful spray to wash the underbody and wheel wells.

Ford Maverick Washing, waxing, upkeep. Coppell Self-Serve Car Wash.JPG

Last edited:

Brian_J

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 R6, HPR Maverick AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
When I was co-owner of a detailing business, we always used Meguiars products, but that was 30 years ago. There are probably other products out there that are equal if not better.

Anyone have an easy to use, spray on wheel cleaner they can recommend?
All the big detailing companies sell one. It’s really just a matter of finding the one you trust the most. I’ve used sonnex, Adams, megs, griots, prob others I’ve forgotten about. No preference here. If you follow the detailing forums, megs is still very popular. Gonna be doing a single stage soon on my HPR w megs m205!

Reactions: Dad

Brian_J

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
How is everyone doing in terms of cosmetic upkeep? First week I got it I did an iron remover, clay bar, wash, sealant. Then I’ve been doing wash and spray wax once a week since. Seems to be doing a pretty good job.

Trying to keep the shine of the new factory paint as long as possible and keep some UV protection with me living in Florida.

Thinking I’ll do another round of sealant around month three and try to keep up the weekly washing and spray waxing.

Also just bought a spray and rinse ceramic wax from meguiars. Going to add that in occasionally.

Anyone else have a routine going or a favorite product?
just did a quick weeklyish maintenance wash today.

two bucket
Adams blue soap
Dry w fat mf towels and leno’s garage rejuvenate

30% simple green for the tires
Mothers wheel cleaner.

Sometimes I’ll use Adams h2o guard &gloss when drying.

different waxes depending on how soon I want to reapply.
Most recent pic
Ford Maverick Washing, waxing, upkeep. 801938E2-194A-4670-9534-FEE26137D492

Hoagus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘02 Ranger, ‘22 Mav XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’ll wash it on the street with a long handle soft brush. It’s an economy truck, so I’m not going to invest a lot of money on that.

19mustang65

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pinti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What does everyone think about touchless drivethrough car washes?

Sponsored

Bj517

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I used meguiars shampoo and conditioner, followed by 303 graphene nano spray (basically spray on wax). At some point I'll put 303 aerospace on the plastic trim.

Ford Maverick Washing, waxing, upkeep. PXL_20220501_192352748

Ford Maverick Washing, waxing, upkeep. PXL_20220502_111408808.MP

Ford Maverick Washing, waxing, upkeep. PXL_20220502_111413497

Brian_J

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What does everyone think about touchless drivethrough car washes?
In the wintertime I’ll spray the salt off my car. It always leaves a film behind. If you tried to dry it with this film on the paint still, you would be adding scratches.
So I use it in winter when I can’t wash (I’ll hand wash anytime over freezing).

19mustang65

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pinti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Cool thanks. I'll have to do some research. I'm in the desert so it always has a later of dust and is always in direct sunlight. I'd like to protect it soon.

Elduchey

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just got done with my first wash and boy, is this thing an obsessive detailers dream. Just getting all the water out of the nooks and crannies was a pain in the ass.
Gonna have to invest in a powerful leaf blower.
Sponsored