First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX Hatchback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Like many Maverick Hybrid owners, our truck has seen huge mpg drops from winter and spring to the extreme heat of summer. Ours went from a 47 mpg average to 35 mpg average. This video explains the mechanical and design reasons why it's happening and why not to panic that something is wrong.

Snapshot_007s.png
It's nice of you to share this. Most people would assume MPGs will take a hit when the weather hits one extreme or another, but an explanation is still quite helpful.
Driving around Phoenix this time of year, I wouldn't expect to see mid-40s (and I don't!). ICE runs almost constantly no matter where the AC is set, all because it's like 110+ degrees out!
Our sweet-spot here I imagine will be between October til May. But like you said, sure beats the Ranger or F-150!

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick HEV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Like many Maverick Hybrid owners, our truck has seen huge mpg drops from winter and spring to the extreme heat of summer. Ours went from a 47 mpg average to 35 mpg average. This video explains the mechanical and design reasons why it's happening and why not to panic that something is wrong.

Snapshot_007s.png
I'm curious if the Maverick has a variable speed compressor, since the system is all electric and electronically controlled by the digital HVAC controls. For example, is it running at a higher duty cycle and using more power if I have the thermostat set at 64 instead of 74? Or is the compressor just on or off (like in my old non-hybrid Honda), and the temperature is being controlled with the heat blend door?

KenC

Banned
Banned
First Name
First
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck.
I have no noticeable change in mpg since January.

Sponsored

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm curious if the Maverick has a variable speed compressor, since the system is all electric and electronically controlled by the digital HVAC controls. For example, is it running at a higher duty cycle and using more power if I have the thermostat set at 64 instead of 74? Or is the compressor just on or off (like in my old non-hybrid Honda), and the temperature is being controlled with the heat blend door?
I feel certain it is variable speed or at least 2 speed. Set it on max cool at temp cooler than ambient temp for am temp before turning truck off, then the next morning when you ready the truck the compressor should immediately turn on probably before ice and you can listen to compressor. Then turn max cool off. Maybe you can tell by sound.😁

Sylvester

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My main suspicion on why my mpg dropped significantly is the software update they did for rough idling and catalytic converter over heating. I think ever since they have done the update, the gas engine kicks in much earlier than before and the gas engine runs more frequently than before.
Before the update I would get 42-45mpg per tank. I am now down to 35-37mpg per tank.

TRUCKHEF

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
can confirm what he is saying is true, this morning go out leave AC off ambient temp is 81 windows down, get 42mpg. coming home end of day ambient temp is 108 AC on set to LO at fan speed 4 mpg is like 30.

brdl04

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The MPG will decrease in Snow belt states as well in the winter months. More heat, more engine...

BlackXL

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 F-350, 2 F-250, 4 escape, mustang, bronco
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Head vs. tail wind are the big variables for me, driving 150 miles per day. Low temps do affect mileage adversely, but so far I seem to get better mileage in the hotter weather ~43 mpg highway . A/C doesn't seem to affect fuel economy.

Sponsored

tonyinsd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT, Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I haven't seen any difference but then there are two factors.

First, in San Diego, our hottest month is September.

Second, the average high will go up to around 80. We may have a few days where it tops 100 but those are still unusual.

If my mileage takes a hit, so be it. I'm more than happy to pay $6 for the extra gallon I burn to keep myself cool over the next couple of months.

glpuckett

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick FE Rapid Red 2.5L Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Snapshot_007s.png
Hi Sam, good explanation! I was wondering if you could help with a debate that I'm having with a buddy of mine. We've been going back and forth over the advantages of Hybrid or Plug-in. I have the Maverick Hybrid and he is in a Volt (he ordered his Mav Oct'21). The basic argument is that I said he has to pay to charge his Volt (his regen only adds about 7 miles); where as my Mav recharges for free (I probably overstated & said "Electric Miles" are FREE miles on the Mav). He contends that the Mav regen system (braking / coasting) is not efficient enough to regen the High Voltage Battery & thus requires the gas engine to charge the battery...so not free! I have stated that I've maintained a 43mpg over nearly 7k miles, so engine regen must be very minor. What are your thoughts? Do you know how efficient the regen system is on the Mav. BTW, I don't run my AC very often and in SoCal near the coast temps aren't that bad. Additionally I use "L" quite a bit to maximize regen / save brakes.

I would love to say that the Mav regen system (braking/coasting) accomplishes 80%-90% of the batteries needs, but that's probably too optimistic. :)

Gary

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi Sam, good explanation! I was wondering if you could help with a debate that I'm having with a buddy of mine. We've been going back and forth over the advantages of Hybrid or Plug-in. I have the Maverick Hybrid and he is in a Volt (he ordered his Mav Oct'21). The basic argument is that I said he has to pay to charge his Volt (his regen only adds about 7 miles); where as my Mav recharges for free (I probably overstated & said "Electric Miles" are FREE miles on the Mav). He contends that the Mav regen system (braking / coasting) is not efficient enough to regen the High Voltage Battery & thus requires the gas engine to charge the battery...so not free! I have stated that I've maintained a 43mpg over nearly 7k miles, so engine regen must be very minor. What are your thoughts? Do you know how efficient the regen system is on the Mav. BTW, I don't run my AC very often and in SoCal near the coast temps aren't that bad. Additionally I use "L" quite a bit to maximize regen / save brakes.

I would love to say that the Mav regen system (braking/coasting) accomplishes 80%-90% of the batteries needs, but that's probably too optimistic. :)

Gary
Plug-in hybrid (PHEV) is the best of both worlds, hands down. There's simply no downside apart from being more expensive due to the larger battery and relatively stronger electric drivetrain components compared to the same model in a regular hybrid (HEV) setup. Almost everywhere, dollar per mile the plug-in will allow you to drive cheaper (that doesn't mean you'll break even on your purchase choice).

He has to pay to charge his Volt and/or gas up his Volt if he has the older PHEV model.
You have to pay to gas up your hybrid Maverick.

Your side of the argument doesn't make a lot of sense. Don't you both have regenerative braking?

I've maintained a 43mpg over nearly 7k miles, so engine regen must be very minor
This doesn't make sense to me, the gas engine is very frequently recharging the HVB. I'm not sure how you're jumping to the conclusion that the engine is not charging the HVB. Regen braking under the best circumstances of city driving only recaptures about 60-70% of your KINETIC energy, according to some googling. You are not able to recapture energy lost to wind resistance, rolling resistance, air conditioner use, lights, etc etc. More googling says that you likely are only getting back less than 20% of the total energy used by the vehicle from regenerative braking if we're talking about city driving. On the highway obviously that goes closer to nada in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited:

glpuckett

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick FE Rapid Red 2.5L Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Plug-in hybrid (PHEV) is the best of both worlds, hands down. There's simply no downside apart from being more expensive due to the larger battery and relatively stronger electric drivetrain components compared to the same model in a regular hybrid (HEV) setup. Almost everywhere, dollar per mile the plug-in will allow you to drive cheaper (that doesn't mean you'll break even on your purchase choice).

He has to pay to charge his Volt and/or gas up his Volt if he has the older PHEV model.
You have to pay to gas up your hybrid Maverick.

Your side of the argument doesn't make a lot of sense. Don't you both have regenerative braking?

This doesn't make sense to me, the gas engine is very frequently recharging the HVB. I'm not sure how you're jumping to the conclusion that the engine is not charging the HVB. Regen braking under the best circumstances of city driving only recaptures about 60-70% of your KINETIC energy, according to some googling. You are not able to recapture energy lost to wind resistance, rolling resistance, air conditioner use, lights, etc etc. More googling says that you likely are only getting back less than 20% of the total energy used by the vehicle from regenerative braking if we're talking about city driving. On the highway obviously that goes closer to nada in the grand scheme of things.
1st I would agree that within the 1st 30-40 mile range of the PHEV it's more economical, but after that it turns into a regular ICE driven car and you would need to plug in for hours to regain the HVB. So, if you use it for just work and back (round trip <50 miles) I think it's great! If you drive more; either, daily or you like to take weekend trips (me) than maybe arguable as to which one is better. Additionally, I enjoy NOT having to plug in on a daily basis to maintain mpg efficiency, but probably would get use to it if used as a daily to work car. Yes, both vehicles have regenerative braking but my buddy says he gets only about and extra 7 miles before his HVB is done and needs to plug in (maybe an older Volt).

Regarding the 43mpg I was trying to (loosely) make a point that I do a lot of mix driving (highway, city & mountain trips) and based on EPA I'm suppose to be getting 37mpg. If the Mav is charging with the engine, than it doesn't seem to negatively impact my mpg's very much.

I enjoy the discussion / debate, and I really enjoy my Hybrid Mav, but would love to see how Ford's; eventual, PHEV compares...

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
1st I would agree that within the 1st 30-40 mile range of the PHEV it's more economical, but after that it turns into a regular ICE driven car and you would need to plug in for hours to regain the HVB. So, if you use it for just work and back (round trip <50 miles) I think it's great! If you drive more; either, daily or you like to take weekend trips (me) than maybe arguable as to which one is better. Additionally, I enjoy NOT having to plug in on a daily basis to maintain mpg efficiency, but probably would get use to it if used as a daily to work car. Yes, both vehicles have regenerative braking but my buddy says he gets only about and extra 7 miles before his HVB is done and needs to plug in (maybe an older Volt).

Regarding the 43mpg I was trying to (loosely) make a point that I do a lot of mix driving (highway, city & mountain trips) and based on EPA I'm suppose to be getting 37mpg. If the Mav is charging with the engine, than it doesn't seem to negatively impact my mpg's very much.

I enjoy the discussion / debate, and I really enjoy my Hybrid Mav, but would love to see how Ford's; eventual, PHEV compares...
What leads you and your friend to believe a PHEV does not perform basically the same as an HEV once it reaches a low state of charge?

I believe you have been led to some weird conclusions about how hybrids and phevs work and I’m having trouble unraveling that.

“If the mav is charging with the engine” statement seems to indicate you believe this is a slightly abnormal thing. But in reality, your hybrid is doing exactly what it’s designed to do. You may need to readjust your understanding of the hybrids to acknowledge that the engine is going to be recharging the HVB very often, no matter how carefully and slowly you drive.
Sponsored

Last edited: