Worst Hybrid MPG to date? Video review/fill-up and more flex bed use

petertuna

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid XLT, F-150, RDX
In brief, I got 26.7MPG while the calculated computer was estimating 32.7MPG.
Also, I picked up a nice toolbox and was able to use the tailgate tie downs to safely
lower the toolbox without the help of a second person. The tailgate tie downs are a VERY cool feature.

Sponsored

Flomounier1

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Dang, you must do a lot of freeway driving? I do an equal amount of city/highway driving and average 41mpg. (87 Gas, no added weight or roof racks/storage.)

Ferroplasm

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback Onyx XT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I could see that low mileage happening if you did all of the following: remote start often and for a long period, take frequent very short trips, drive in excess of 70 mph on the freeway.

CLH917

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Dang man. I’m curious to learn more about your driving tendencies. I’m averaging about what you’re getting but I have a ecoboost with a lift and 30.5” AT tires.

OP
OP
petertuna

petertuna

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dang, you must do a lot of freeway driving? I do an equal amount of city/highway driving and average 41mpg. (87 Gas, no added weight or roof racks/storage.)
Yeah, around 40 miles of highway and 12 miles of town/city miles daily.

Sponsored

OP
OP
petertuna

petertuna

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I could see that low mileage happening if you did all of the following: remote start often and for a long period, take frequent very short trips, drive in excess of 70 mph on the freeway.
All the above, unfortunately.

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How much are you remote starting? Was this your first tank?

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

In brief, I got 26.7MPG while the calculated computer was estimating 32.7MPG.
Also, I picked up a nice toolbox and was able to use the tailgate tie downs to safely
lower the toolbox without the help of a second person. The tailgate tie downs are a VERY cool feature.

Maybe explain to us what kind of driving you were doing. But like anything else on the 'net, I take this post as being not much of a data point.

OP
OP
petertuna

petertuna

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dang man. I’m curious to learn more about your driving tendencies. I’m averaging about what you’re getting but I have a ecoboost with a lift and 30.5” AT tires.
So would my insurance company. Just kidding, clean record. I believe it might be due to 85% highway driving (mostly 70mph+) and then all the other factors like cold weather, remote start, quick trips.... I'm going to limit my use of remote start and try to stick to ~65mph and see what we can do for the first 1,000 mile fill up.

OP
OP
petertuna

petertuna

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How much are you remote starting? Was this your first tank?
This is my 2nd tank. 1st tank was 34.6MPG. I use remote start via fordpass app every morning, and then again before i head back home. I believe during this tank I was out shopping and I did start it a few more times than normal.

Sponsored

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is my 2nd tank. 1st tank was 34.6MPG. I use remote start via fordpass app every morning, and then again before i head back home. I believe during this tank I was out shopping and I did start it a few more times than normal.
I think it's probably the remote start and the cold weather. If you can handle it, I find it's much better gas mileage to run the interior temp at 60°F. With remote start, there's just no way around it that you're giving up a lot of gas mileage if you're burning gas on anything other than acceleration. EPA ratings are out the window if you're pre-warming the car. Also, there's no way around reduced MPGs in the winter. Just too many things working against efficiency. I'd often lose 5-10 mpgs on my Corolla (non-hybrid).

Edit: I also think the idling is what's messing with your dash MPG calculation. Seems like most people are getting close to the dash MPG, but the other time we've seen a big discrepancy (the TFL vid), they were doing a lot of farm work with it so it was also likely sitting idling a bit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
petertuna

petertuna

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think it's probably the remote start and the cold weather. If you can handle it, it find it's much better gas mileage to run the interior temp at 60°F. With remote start, there's just no way around it that you're giving up a lot of gas mileage if you're burning gas on anything other than acceleration. EPA ratings are out the window if you're pre-warming the car. Also, there's no way around reduced MPGs in the winter. Just too many things working against efficiency. It'd often lose 5-10 mpgs on my Corolla (non-hybrid).

Edit: I also think the idling is what's messing with your dash MPG calculation. Seems like most people are getting close to the dash MPG, but the other time we've seen a big discrepancy (the TFL vid), they were doing a lot of farm work with it so it was also likely sitting idling a bit.
I can handle it, seems like a simple comfort vs practicality compromise. Yeah, the cold definitely has an effect not only on the battery, but I believe on the Atkinson engine as well since it probably takes a longer amount of time to get to proper operating temp. 5-10mpg is quite significant, wow.

Cubican

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline, viper, c8
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The lowest I had was 39 mpg on my first week of owning it after that over 40 here’s today driving
Ford Maverick Worst Hybrid MPG to date? Video review/fill-up and more flex bed use BD23CE1D-C696-44EC-8EC5-85ED2353455C

OP
OP
petertuna

petertuna

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The lowest I had was 39 mpg on my first week of owning it after that over 40 here’s today driving
BD23CE1D-C696-44EC-8EC5-85ED2353455C.jpeg
Texas always seems to do it better... What percentage is your city/highway driving?

Oddzball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 2022 XL
I mean, thats my experience, remote start to defrost in the morning absolutely kills MPG along with the cold in general.
Sponsored