Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That battery looked decent size! I am very curious.
That's tiny compared to a PHEV-sized battery pack or even the previous generation air cooled 1.5 kWH batteries.
Sponsored

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Originally US companies claimed outsourcing due to pensions. Hyundai Honda etc hasn't been here long enough to have retirees.
Perhaps not Hyundai, but Honda has been building cars in Marysville, OH for 39 years. I'm sure they have retirees.

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Perhaps not Hyundai, but Honda has been building cars in Marysville, OH for 39 years. I'm sure they have retirees.
Guilty!

Of course, the transplants have retirees, but it's peanuts compared to the big three. Honda axed the pension plan (for new hires) around 2015 if I recall correctly.

Sponsored

Ron Neal

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The platform for the Escape is the same and the Escape is built in the Louisville Plant. Why build the E-CVT transmission in the US , the engine in Spain and ship to Mexico?
2.0 EB engines are built in Spain and Ohio and think the hybrid 2.5 engines built in Mexico.

V2WIN

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That's awesome. Glad to see an American company able to provide work to families in a country where there may not be other options except drugs. With a labor shortage here in the US, seems like our American workers are just fine.
Sometimes the best way to stop over immigration is to improve life in the mother country.
They do now but 25 years ago none gm/ ford / Chrysler had 5-6 hundred thousand

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
It looks very heavily automated, and if so, why couldn't they build the plant here in the United States? The excuse is usually the "American labor rates are too high", but it doesn't seem super labor intensive, and with automation like that the jobs it creates would be decently high paying desirable ones to program and maintain that sophisticated equipment.
Ford has many plants like that in the USA. Some more automated. F-150 production line in Dearborn, MI

Ih8thew82

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT LUX Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wonder what Henry Ford would have said about this evolution of his assembly line. The sophistication is mind-boggling to me, as one with no experience in manufacturing.

Sponsored

mrjspence

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It looks very heavily automated, and if so, why couldn't they build the plant here in the United States? The excuse is usually the "American labor rates are too high", but it doesn't seem super labor intensive, and with automation like that the jobs it creates would be decently high paying desirable ones to program and maintain that sophisticated equipment.
taxes, osha, worker force, unions, etc would be my guess… MONEY end of day

2022EOW

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You see lots of robots, but per a web search, 1,500 people work there, that's a pretty good pay liability every month. Ford is investing in the future in the US with the recent electric vehicle facility they are building in Ky and Tn, $11 billion investment, 11,000 jobs.

Guardian

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Smartcar,Alfa Romeo Spyder,Pontiac GTO,Taurus SHO
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Because this plant was already built? Not having a whole new assembly plant to establish is a pretty important factor when you're aiming to build your lineup's cheapest vehicle on a rapid development timescale.
Uh,here in Ohio there is this place called Lordstown,where Chevy pulled out of an already built plant not to mention leaving a hefty American workforce without a means of income.
Sponsored