TRUCKHEF

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
its a known issue, happens everyday, Ford won't fix it unless enough people complain to the NHSTA.
Low speed applying brakes and truck won't stop, slowly press harder and harder then it goes full 100% brake power and you get lynched by the seatbelt. Took it to the dealership and they "couldn't replicate the issue" go figure. also the clunk for me is associated with an easier brake pedal, kinda like the hydraulics pre pressurizing then letting go. comes with the 360 system as part of the crash mitigation feature.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
Undecided
I have a hybrid with these braking issues. I honestly thought it was just how hybrids operated.

My experience is that when driving at very low speeds, the truck behaves like it isn't responding to brake application. It'll continue pulling forward, with my foot off the gas pedal, and I'll sort of panic and mash the brake more. Then the truck will make a clunk/kerthunk sound and it'll jerk to a halt. It sucks, and it happens far too often.

Edit: My hybrid is affected by the fire recall and I have an appointment this Friday to have it repaired. I'll mention this braking issue to the technician and report back what they say.
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.

HTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-V
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sure wish there was a hybrid available around me for a test drive so I could experience this first hand. Its obvious this is a widespread problem. I like the idea of amazing MPG but have to say yā€™all have just about scared me out of ordering a ā€˜23 hybrid. Ecoboost has their own problems Iā€™m sure but stopping doesnā€™t appear to be one of them?

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If it's any conciliation I've not experienced any of the described clunking, uneven transitions, sudden failure of regen, or extreme braking. The only I've encountered twice is requiring more pedal travel on brake reapplication when inching.

Reactions: HTX

Random

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 Maverick Hybrid FE Lux & ā€˜11Toyota Sienna XLE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sure wish there was a hybrid available around me for a test drive so I could experience this first hand. Its obvious this is a widespread problem. I like the idea of amazing MPG but have to say yā€™all have just about scared me out of ordering a ā€˜23 hybrid. Ecoboost has their own problems Iā€™m sure but stopping doesnā€™t appear to be one of them?
It is annoying more than anything on my vehicle.

Last edited:
Reactions: HTX

Sponsored

jonboy227

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
explorer, mustang, soon a Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
MY POST FROM ANOTHER THREAD,
Had my maverick about 6 weeks now 3200 miles, it is an awesome little truck. I am finding the same problem with the brakes, sometimes when stopped and left off brakes pedal it feels like the brakes don't release until I step on gas pedal. just like having the brake hold on, but it is off. I am also getting when creeping in stop and go traffic on the highway I step on brake and they don't engage, have to step a little harder then it just grabs. this is not good I am waiting to get hit in the back. New York city traffic on the highway is terrible. Snow and ice will be bad with these brakes.

oldyoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma now, Maverick later
This problem sounds annoying enough for me to consider holding off on ordering a Maverick. At least until Ford comes up with a fix?

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Engine
Undecided
This problem sounds annoying enough for me to consider holding off on ordering a Maverick. At least until Ford comes up with a fix?
We are thinking about ordering two Mav's - an EB for the misses and a Hybrid for me. I too am kind of concerned by the ongoing "issues" the hybrids seem to having. I would hope that Ford would have the issues fixed before I would take delivery of my 2023 Hybrid. I would prefer to wait but what concerns me is future price hikes throughout the model year. Maybe it's wise to order now and wait it out that way we're at least locked in price wise? I guess we could always bail on the order if these issues aren't fixed.

I hope the MSRP doesn't go up much (if any) at least initially for the 2023 MY as they just have a $1k increase.

Decisions, decisions...

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hybr 2018 F150 Lariat 3.5 ECO
There are lots of misconceptions about your Mav brake system. This ststem is not like anything you have owned/driven before(well maybe 98% of us).

First, there is not a direct connection to the brake system like conventional vehicles, we input parameters however the ECM does the braking control. Brake pedal application is only one of tenths of input the ECM looks at to determine how to activate the vehicle brakes.

There is alot of action going on when we apply the brakes. Some of the added actions are the Regen vs. Friction vs. Bias, some of the problems with vehicle braking is the ECM is slow to react to and really gets confused when regen is occuring and entering friction brake application(i have stated before this can probably be adjusted in software).

Another observation is the pedal pressure application, i dont think we need to hit the pedal as hard as we do, since the ECM has control of the system. It seems to me that whats more important in brake apication is timing rather then brake pedal pressure.

Are we not applying the pedal quickly enough, so we try to brake faster by pushing harder on the pedal?

Food for thought..

Sponsored

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hybr 2018 F150 Lariat 3.5 ECO
I take advantage of regen to do 90% of my braking w/one pedal operation. Usually only use brake pedal to hold at stoplight.

I am not saying the system is flawless, it could very well use some software tweeks and parameter changes.

I can see exactly what is happening, i just adjust my driving style to help get around imperfections.

JPerata

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid lariat w/cp 360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Add my truck to the list of brake slamming when going at low speed. Does not happen every time I come to a stop, only at very low speeds and stopping.
Also was a victim of dead maverick and sleep mode and lurching forward when engine is cold.
Latest is drivers side window auto up does not work. I have to inch it up. If I run it up it closes and immediately lowers to 25% open.
Wondering whatā€™s nextā€¦Iā€™m at 4700 miles.
The window issue is caused by a ā€œDeep Sleep ā€œ mode or disconnected battery. You have to do a reset in the window switch. Follow the instructions in the manual. Sorry I donā€™t have the exact page number, it is listed in the window operation section.

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Was wondering if anyone else had noticed this. There have been some posts about clunking or thudding at low speeds. My Maverick certainly does that when dropping down into what I assume is 1st gear. Makes me think the transmission is not long for this world. There's also something I haven't heard much about. The fact that my Maverick doesn't want to stop at low speeds. The best example I can come up with is a situation at a drive-thru. Moving forward in line which gets you up to maybe 1 mph and the truck just doesn't want to stop. It's like fighting me (in electric mode). It's not until I really press hard on the brake that it finally seems to give up and then I come to an abrupt stop. Beyond everyones head bobbing forward and looking like an idiot that can't drive, I swear at some point, this truck is going to hit something in front of it.

This is much more rare but have experienced it a few times. Coming to a stop, the ICE and electric engine seem to be arguing with each other and trying to push the truck forward. The brake pedal vibrates (sort of like ABS working) and the vehicle shakes a bit. Turning the car off and then back on fixes the problem. However, not something ideal when on the road with other drivers.

Has anyone else experienced this? Feel free to pull this down if it's been discussed at length. I just hadn't found anything yet.

**Edit** Thank you for reminding me this transmission does not have a first gear to downshift to haha
Yes and I'm also getting a louder clunk like something broke in the brakes Definitely not pleased with it going to call my Ford service tomorrow and get it in to be looked at šŸ¤”

TheSEARCH

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes and I'm also getting a louder clunk like something broke in the brakes Definitely not pleased with it going to call my Ford service tomorrow and get it in to be looked at šŸ¤”
If this isn't fixed I wont take my Mav after i order it,. This is NUTS. Not acceptable. Having to pound down on the brakes at slow speed like at a drive through food pace is insane to accept. I will be watching these forums if this isn't fixed in 6 months i am out. What the heck FORD?
Sponsored