inline_five

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For what it's worth there was a TSB to address this.
Mine came from factory with that installed, it's a late August '23 build. No TSB needed.

This isn't a shudder, it reminds me of an old auto transmission that drops out of gear when slowing to a stop as the pressure falls off.
Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Mine came from factory with that installed, it's a late August '23 build. No TSB needed.

This isn't a shudder, it reminds me of an old auto transmission that drops out of gear when slowing to a stop as the pressure falls off.
Well, what the original poster for this thread is describing sounds much more like the typical brake grab/lack of response when inching. Which is different from what your thread details.

OP
OP

kboom180

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
After some confusion with the dealer (they had no idea what I was talking about) and them asking to test drive in which they somehow couldn't replicate the problem, finally got the update. It was a reprogramming. It helped slightly. But, it still is weird at low speeds. The clunking does sound worse now with 30k miles. Definitely a design flaw that should have never made it to production. With that being said, after about 10 miles an hour, the hybrid/gas system is flawless.

CurtisB

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Haven't had this issue. Mine was built 08/03/2023.

OP
OP

kboom180

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Haven't had this issue. Mine was built 08/03/2023.
So, when you come to a smooth and controlled slow speed stop, there is absolutely no noise or pedal modulation? It brakes completely like a non-hybrid vehicle? Perhaps the the issue had been fixed at some point. Mine was pretty early in production.

Sponsored

CurtisB

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

When driving a hybrid, there are a lot of different things to get used to. My 2015 Prius did the same thing. So, it doesn't feel wierd. I have 9 years of hybrid driving to compare the Maverick to. The one thing that the Maverick does better than my 2015 Prius is that it stays in the "electric mode" longer and more often than the Prius.

OP
OP

kboom180

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
When driving a hybrid, there are a lot of different things to get used to. My 2015 Prius did the same thing. So, it doesn't feel wierd. I have 9 years of hybrid driving to compare the Maverick to. The one thing that the Maverick does better than my 2015 Prius is that it stays in the "electric mode" longer and more often than the Prius.
It is something I have gotten used to. But initially it was just straight dangerous. The truck would not stop unless you smashed the brakes. It was that issue that should never have passed the final ok. Even in a 20k truck. Ford knew, Ford didnt care. Otherwise, im as happy as you can be for a very cheap vehicle.

Sharksforarms

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I get a clunk when I am slowly coasting and the truck transitions from Regen to physical brakes. Never seemed unusual to me.

CurtisB

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

It is something I have gotten used to. But initially it was just straight dangerous. The truck would not stop unless you smashed the brakes. It was that issue that should never have passed the final ok. Even in a 20k truck. Ford knew, Ford didnt care. Otherwise, im as happy as you can be for a very cheap vehicle.
I really think you should take it to your dealership. I am not having that type of problem at all, nor did I with my 2015 Prius.

OP
OP

kboom180

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I really think you should take it to your dealership. I am not having that type of problem at all, nor did I with my 2015 Prius.
Its a very well documented issue. NTSB took action. Ford will just say its normal. Which I believe. If you read up the thread, the main problem was fixed via software. Just dont think its designed well. I've driven hybrids from other car companies and have never had clunks and noises. It is what it is. A 20k truck haha.

inline_five

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
After some confusion with the dealer (they had no idea what I was talking about) and them asking to test drive in which they somehow couldn't replicate the problem, finally got the update. It was a reprogramming. It helped slightly. But, it still is weird at low speeds. The clunking does sound worse now with 30k miles. Definitely a design flaw that should have never made it to production. With that being said, after about 10 miles an hour, the hybrid/gas system is flawless.
So mine is great down at very low speed. 8/23/23 build. It stops extremely smoothly. However, my event happened around 20mph, and felt like one of the electric motors engaged when it shouldn’t have and it rocked the motor on its mounts.
Sponsored