First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Bolt EUV, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've seen multiple complaints that the backup camera is not great quality, so I was thinking can the camera be upgraded? I checked on Ford's parts website, and the part number for a Maverick rear camera seems to be the exact same part number as for the Lincoln Corsair and Aviator. So if the camera is the same, do they all have the same questionable quality, or is there some other part of the system that determines how good an image you see on the screen? Is an 8" screen from a Lincoln higher resolution, and possible interchangeable (assuming you can get it without the plastic trim around it?
Sponsored

Enderet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
That seems like overkill for what the camera is needed for. Is there a specific reason why you need it to display in HD over the serviceable but muddy resolution it plays at now?

spuds_mackenzie

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat Hot pepper red
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It's not the display resolution that is the problem. It is the quality of the image the sensor is receiving. It does not pick up much light. Even during the day it can appear dark. At night even with upgraded LED backup lights, you can barely see objects that show up in the mirrors just fine. People can defend it all they want, but it is federally mandated safety feature and should be functioning better than it does. I have personally never seen one this bad. I would be curious to see if the other models that use this camera have the same issues. Lincoln being Ford's "luxury" brand, I would be incredibly dissatisfied if this was the camera experience I received on those vehicles. Even at $20k I think it is not acceptable and my Lariat Maverick was significantly more expensive than that.
I really don't understand why these back up cameras don't have built in infrared for dark conditions. Even the cheapest home security cameras have that feature. I mean I guess I know why, (profit margin, blah blah blah) but its pretty ridiculous.

OP
OP
atomguy245

atomguy245

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Bolt EUV, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's not the display resolution that is the problem. It is the quality of the image the sensor is receiving. It does not pick up much light. Even during the day it can appear dark. At night even with upgraded LED backup lights, you can barely see objects that show up in the mirrors just fine. People can defend it all they want, but it is federally mandated safety feature and should be functioning better than it does. I have personally never seen one this bad. I would be curious to see if the other models that use this camera have the same issues. Lincoln being Ford's "luxury" brand, I would be incredibly dissatisfied if this was the camera experience I received on those vehicles. Even at $20k I think it is not acceptable and my Lariat Maverick was significantly more expensive than that.
Yeah that's really my question. What is the weak link in the camera system? The camera, the image processor, or the screen? If it was the camera, I would like to think that it would be easy to swap out the camera itself.

spuds_mackenzie

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat Hot pepper red
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah that's really my question. What is the weak link in the camera system? The camera, the image processor, or the screen? If it was the camera, I would like to think that it would be easy to swap out the camera itself.
its most definitely the camera itself. Bottom of the barrel, just good enough tech circa 2006 from some Chinese scrap bin.

Sponsored

A Dodge that drives Fords

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Taurus Ford Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I took one for a test drive. I didn't think it was any worse or better than my wife's 2015 Taurus SEL, I could see everything good. But that's just my tech junkie/home theater opinion.

Reactions: wjg

GaMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've seen multiple complaints that the backup camera is not great quality, so I was thinking can the camera be upgraded? I checked on Ford's parts website, and the part number for a Maverick rear camera seems to be the exact same part number as for the Lincoln Corsair and Aviator. So if the camera is the same, do they all have the same questionable quality, or is there some other part of the system that determines how good an image you see on the screen? Is an 8" screen from a Lincoln higher resolution, and possible interchangeable (assuming you can get it without the plastic trim around it?
I just read yesterday there is a + to zoom in the backup camera

Stimpy433

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mavrick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Is the poor quality only at night or all the time???

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sponsored

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I truly don't see an issue with the quality of the back-up camera or display in my Hybrid Lariat. Could use more light at night, but there are upgraded LEDs available to solve that, and I plan to order them... Just as soon as my wife stops checking every incoming Amazon package and commenting about "yet another Maverick upgrade..."

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The backup image seems fine to me. I'm not expecting cinema quality from a backup cam, just happy to see what's going on behind me. I replaced the backup lights with LED's and added an additional backup light unit. I added the one since it was a leftover, but I'm thinking of adding a second one so there's one on each side rather than one in the middle, but so far it works for me.

Ford Maverick Upgrading the Backup Camera IMG_2691

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't have any complaints with mine. I did install LED backup bulbs to help at night (I had to do that on my F150). I can't tell very much difference between the quality in my wife 2018 Expedition and the Mav. Like another that replied, I don't expect HD 4K cinema quality for its intended use. It's a backup camera for Christ sake. One thought that did run through my mind, which I sorta doubt, could there be a different display between the Sync 3 vs Base Sync? If so, maybe that is why some complain?

TheSEARCH

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So does anyone know what the screen resolution of the Maverick screen is? I have a 2020 Ecosport with sync 3 and the screen resolution is pretty good to me. Then what is the resolution of the camera itself on the Mav? Again My 2020 Ecosport the camera looks quite good to me. I could take a picture of mine with a 12 megapixel camera in reverse and post it here to compare . just wondering if its a step down from current car.
Sponsored