First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volkswagen CC
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I upgraded my front door panel speakers yesterday. I was not interested in spending a ton of money but wanted to improve the overall sound.

The OEM speakers are 25 watts, the ones I replaced them with are 300 watts.

One of the best vendors to work with is Crutchfield. They have installation instructions and ship the added components needed to retrofit aftermarket speakers (speaker mounts, wire harness) free with the cost of the product.

Here are the ones I went with. https://www.crutchfield.com/p_11316...31666S/Kenwood-KFC-1666S.html?omnews=18327081

They were not the best but fit my price point and sound 100% better than the OEMs.

The only part of the swap you need to be concerned about is this.
  • Watch the pillar panels. One of my clips did not come out cleanly and I had to repair.
  • You may need some foam tape or just accept that the wiring may need to run behind the brackets. The latter is what I opted for because the wire gauge is small
  • Be careful re-attaching the door panel. It took me three tries to get it seated properly as the instructions neglected to say that when you re-attach, you need to start at the top of the panel and align with the outside most guide next to the window so the panel seats correctly when putting back in.

All in all well worth the time and effort.
Sponsored

OP
OP
thecman

thecman

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volkswagen CC
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah, that is likely with an amp.

That being said the magnet on the OEM is about the diameter of a quarter. On the new speakers it is the diameter of 2+”. There is much more potential for woofer travel, thus more volume and better sound.

I was interested in better sound not pure volume. YMMV

Sponsored

Matso

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT Premium
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm not getting in the middle of that but I would like to say I appreciate anyone posting sound upgrade projects. I've been thinking about it for some time but it's just not my area of expertise. I'm not sure what I'm going to do but links to products that fit is a good start. I was looking at a JBL sub that should have fit behind the back passenger side seat but I didn't follow through. Honestly, I'm just afraid of screwing something up.

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Every door panel I've removed does come off that way and back on in reverse. The Maverick's sail panels are extra special and they never go back on the same as new. 🤣

Now that you have upgraded the door speakers you're ready for an amp. (y)

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Magnet diameter does not determine driver cone travel.
And cone travel (in of itself) isn't the sole defining factor of good sounding speakers.

There are a LOT of factors: cone shape/geometry, mass, material, windings, frame, and so on.

From the beginning of high fidelity to now, it is a safe bet that the more premium driver (tweeters excepted) will generally have a magnet with more mass, especially if not rare-earth, and often visible physical size, diameter included.

billbillw

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah, that is likely with an amp.

That being said the magnet on the OEM is about the diameter of a quarter. On the new speakers it is the diameter of 2+”. There is much more potential for woofer travel, thus more volume and better sound.

I was interested in better sound not pure volume. YMMV
Everyone comments on how small the OEM magnet is, but fail to realize that they are comparing a rare earth magnet to a conventional ferrite magnet. The rare earth (usually neodymium) are much more powerful for a given size. OEMs do this for weight and space savings.

Now, not saying the OEM is anything to rave about, but comparing the magnet is not an apples to apples comparison.

Last edited:
Sponsored

Ringo

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1953 MGTD, 1953 F100, 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
OP Thanks for posting ! Some people can only wake up long enough to give someone who took the time to try help some shit. Haters gonna hate.

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I feel like I recognize yours...

Edit: Yep... Been awhile.
LOL!

Sad story time:
I stumbled upon a SHO group on FB a few months back. I asked if there was any possible chance an electric red 'Plus" would be for sale anywhere.

Someone actually offered one for sale! He said it's one of the <5 left known to exist!!!! Not terribly far from where we live. But I knew wife would say "No way" to having 5 cars in the driveway if we ever got our Maverick. So I was waiting to see if Maverick every arrived and whn it did I had to pass on it. :( Still want it though!

(((( I don't recognize that post- I think it may have been the "other guy" who used it for a little bit. I used capital letters for my username. I first used it on Car and Driver forum.... I think mine was first, there was some bad feelings and he changed his name? But it still could have been me.... I still can login and check it every few years LOL ))))
Sponsored