BIG_daddy_qwerty

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So I brought in my 22 Mav for the airbag recall finally on May 15, and told them that I would like the TSB 22-2493 addressed. No problem, they said.

It's now been over a week and they officially can't give me back my truck, to the point they gave me a loaner (Escape Active). Apparently, airbags were easily done but they can't get through the TSB....something about the computer not finishing properly and they cannot unhook it or reset it back to normal either.

I'm really not sure what to do here, as I don't know if I just stay quiet and let them go through the motions or if I have any other options at all! The dealership has been really nice about it all but I'm really hating not having my truck working and am soooo worried it's bricked.

Anyone else have the same prob with their TSB or can chime in? I know there's a new updated TSB, but is it my place as a non technician to mention it? Thanks Mav family!!!
Sponsored

FriscoTXJoe

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

It's your truck, it's your place to do anything to get it back. Talk to them. You said they were being nice and gave you a loaner. That's costing them money. They want it back and will welcome any suggestions.

Service departments are as clueless on new model issues as we are.

jeffrol48197

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Explorer, 2009 Focus, 2019 Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They should know, but the tsb was updated in February to

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
2.5L FHEV - Brakes Grab During Light Braking When Applied At Or Below 6 MPH (10 Km/h)
23-2060
22 February 2023​

OP
OP

BIG_daddy_qwerty

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Apparently they are in touch with their support line so there's that. I just don't know if it's my place as a customer to say "hey the tsb got updated to this second one TSB 23 2060 , did you read that?". Feels weird telling them what they should already be on top of.

Last edited:

Sponsored

FriscoTXJoe

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Apparently they are in touch with their support line so there's that. I just don't know if it's my place as a customer to say "hey the tsb got updated to this second one TSB 23 2060 , did you read that?". Feels weird telling them what they should already be on top of.
I think I could rightfully argue that a well read, well educated MTC member who is diligent and polite like you seem to be knows as much if not more than the average service advisor at a Ford dealership concerning Maverick updates.

Take control. You are the customer. It's your cash and your truck. Good luck.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In the end the procedure is fundamentally the same since it just instructs to update to the latest software versions for the PCM, ABS, BECM, and SOBDM-C.

KevCuRaoi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They they look up the old TSB is redirects to a new one. 23-2059.

The complication is that the old TSB was basically split into two. 23-2059 deals w/ CEL. 23-2060 is for the grabby brakes.

You could cause confusion by asking for the old TSB....since it now atomically redirects to a TSB that probably isn't relevant. Better to ask for 23-2060, or simply ask them to look for TSB for grabby brakes (because 23-2060 may be replaced in the future too). If they search for TSB by symptoms, they will certainly see the other one.

I don't think that your dealer is confused by the different TSBs. There may have been a programming error..... or they programmed and symptoms are still there. If they are in touch w/ the tech hotline, all you can do is wait for the dealership to get the advice from Ford.

OP
OP

BIG_daddy_qwerty

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes, last thing I wanted to do is muddy up the situation. However, I should point out I'm in Canada, so Ford Canada may not have the experience as our Amerifriends do...definitely they don't have the volume to practice on.

Last I heard was they couldn't even get it unhooked and working like it was previously, and the foreman was in contact with their support.

There was a lot of difference between Ford Canada and Ford you guys during the purchase, delivery and even the email notification processes, figured tech support might be the same too.

Sponsored

JBnorthTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2013 Honda CRV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I took mine to the dealer for the side curtain airbag this week and also asked them to address the TSP for the grabby brakes while it was in. My service advisor took awhile to get back to me about the TSP (said he was "checking"), which made me wonder if they had any clue about it. However, in the end they did the update and it seems to have fixed the grabby brakes on my truck. I'm pretty happy about that.

OP
OP

BIG_daddy_qwerty

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Happy for you!! Literally the same story start, but sadly different outcome. I'm at 2 weeks now and dealership told me prob 2 more weeks at the rate they're going.

Mpat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick hybrid XLT lux, copilot360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I took mine to the dealer for the side curtain airbag Feb 2023 and asked them to address the grabby brakes (sometimes accompanied with a loud clunk sound) per TSB 22-2493 (I didn’t have a mil light or code, but I politely pointed out the TSB clearly stated it applied with OR without the light/code). They replaced the airbags and “performed TSB 23-2059 updated multiple modules”. My braking has been fine ever since.​

OP
OP

BIG_daddy_qwerty

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So finally an update:

Received the Mav back last week. Reason it took so long was a power connection issue, which I think was called the "Wiring Harness" problem on this forum. So, all in all:

side airbags done
Grabby brakes issue done
Wiring harness issue done

Dealership to be honest was real good about it all, and the shop foreman came out to explain what had happened and how involved Ford tech support was going through all the diagnostics.

All in all, I really wish it didn't take a month to get my Mav back but they treated me very well throughout the process. Either way I'm super glad they "accidentally" stumbled upon and solved another possible problem.
Sponsored