2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
beater truck
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just confirmed by the Toyota CEO in this interview:

https://www.autonews.com/talk-top/t...a-ceo-ted-ogawa-uaw-ev-criticism-chinese-cars

There is a hole in Toyota's lineup because it doesn't have a compact pickup — a Ford Maverick fighter — which seems strange when you consider that's what the Tacoma was originally. What's your current thinking?
Good question, but we have no plan for that. Still, we are studying in that area, including the electrification movement. For example, the full-size pickup, [full] electrification is not good chemistry with these customers. However, in midsize or smaller size, there is more electrification opportunity compared to the full-size area. So for us, it's one of the opportunities to think about — the smaller size than Tacoma pickup in the future. So we will keep on talking with [Toyota Motor Corp.] side. - Ted Ogaw, Toyota CEO
Sponsored

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Just confirmed by the Toyota CEO in this interview:

https://www.autonews.com/talk-top/t...a-ceo-ted-ogawa-uaw-ev-criticism-chinese-cars

There is a hole in Toyota's lineup because it doesn't have a compact pickup — a Ford Maverick fighter — which seems strange when you consider that's what the Tacoma was originally. What's your current thinking?
Good question, but we have no plan for that. Still, we are studying in that area, including the electrification movement. For example, the full-size pickup, [full] electrification is not good chemistry with these customers. However, in midsize or smaller size, there is more electrification opportunity compared to the full-size area. So for us, it's one of the opportunities to think about — the smaller size than Tacoma pickup in the future. So we will keep on talking with [Toyota Motor Corp.] side. - Ted Ogaw, Toyota CEO
Good to hear what we already knew. Now the Stoutaholics can settle down again.

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The companies I'd be watching are Ford, Chevy and Hyundai/Kia. Ford has already said they're working on a small and affordable BEV truck. Chevy showed concepts last , and they plain hate Ford owning any product segment. Toyota takes centuries to make any kind of decision. Chevy just delivered a $35,000 BEV Equinox ($27,000 after credits). So that flat out tells you they have the platform for an affordable trucklet.

Hyundai and Kia are going gangbusters in the affordable BEV space. And Kia always has a near-clone of most Hyundai products. I'd also be watching for the Kia version of the Santa Cruz. And these guys have a habit of giving you the option of ICE, Hybrid, and BEV on the same vehicle.

Now clue all the rabid fanboys to go full dementor mode, sucking all the joy out of our souls, because I dared make a MTC posting that contained the banned words "Hyundai Santa Cruz" and "BEV".

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
like I'd believe Toyota on product plans

OneAlienBoi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
At least according to Toyota's CEO. Who knows, brands change their mind all the time. But given the state of Toyota reliability, both the tundra and Tacoma are having way more issues than the mavericks, I wouldn't trust a small Toyota truck these days anyways. It would be twice as expensive as the maverick, and half as reliable, that's the Toyota way 😂.

Sponsored

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The companies I'd be watching are Ford, Chevy and Hyundai/Kia. Ford has already said they're working on a small and affordable BEV truck. Chevy showed concepts last , and they plain hate Ford owning any product segment. Toyota takes centuries to make any kind of decision. Chevy just delivered a $35,000 BEV Equinox ($27,000 after credits). So that flat out tells you they have the platform for an affordable trucklet.

Hyundai and Kia are going gangbusters in the affordable BEV space. And Kia always has a near-clone of most Hyundai products. I'd also be watching for the Kia version of the Santa Cruz. And these guys have a habit of giving you the option of ICE, Hybrid, and BEV on the same vehicle.

Now clue all the rabid fanboys to go full dementor mode, sucking all the joy out of our souls, because I dared make a MTC posting that contained the banned words "Hyundai Santa Cruz" and "BEV".
Don't Forget Ram. They have a Maverick sized truck they could bring quickly.

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

yipga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
lexus rx350
Engine
Undecided
Toyota don't have orderbank system and you would suffer from stealershit during first year model. I remember how crazy they markup RAV4 prime to max 96K during covid. So that's all about second year scout vs maverick. That's 2026 thing if possible. But we are just shocked by 2025 maverick facelift and 24 price adjustment yesterday and who knows tomorrow thing.
Ford Maverick Toyota CEO says still no plans for Maverick competitor (i.e. Toyota Stout) 1716414751305-r5

In fact hybrid santa cruz would be a more possible competitor to stop maverick price raising.

EONR24

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

The new Nissan Frontier is a competitor as well.

Sponsored

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The new Nissan Frontier is a competitor as well.
That is a mid sized competitor. Not Maverick/Santa Cruz competition.

EONR24

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That is a mid sized competitor. Not Maverick/Santa Cruz competition.
It's smaller and cheaper than the other midsized trucks though. SO what's between a midsize and a compact lol I don't even like the Frontier but it is an option, You say its in the same class with say the Ford ranger yet the ford ranger has more power, is wider and has more usable space and is more expensive. Not sure why the frontier is considered mid sized..

Gray Goose

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
RG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape Terrain Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

cavemold

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022 Eco 2.0
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’ve said it so many times for xxx amounts of reasons . Here’s the three reason why agian
1. Tacoma sells would be lesser if cheaper compact truck came out
2. There’s really no room for it in the Toyota line up.
3. They have mid size truck market where they want it .do not want spend resources to invest in compact truck

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

It's smaller and cheaper than the other midsized trucks though. SO what's between a midsize and a compact lol I don't even like the Frontier but it is an option, You say its in the same class with say the Ford ranger yet the ford ranger has more power, is wider and has more usable space and is more expensive. Not sure why the frontier is considered mid sized..
Probably because is a lot longer than a Maverick!
Maverick is 199.7" long, with a 121.1" wheelbase.
Frontier is 210.2"-224.1" long with a 126"-139.8" Wheelbase. A true mid sized truck.
Frontier also weighs 1,000# more than a Maverick.
Sponsored