Sponsored

Tire pressure overinflated at delivery - anyone else?

AeroMech21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT (Carbonized Grey)
Mine are at 38-40psi (fordpass app) waiting on delivery this week. Not worried, always check my tires before anyways and set them for the temps here.
Sponsored

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The physics equations that define the relationship between pressure, volume and temperature apply to all gasses. 22% more nitrogen isn't going to make any appreciable difference.
Quote from Costco and Porsche dealership:
"Since nitrogen molecules are bigger than normal air molecules, it is harder for them to leak out. This means a tire filled with nitrogen will maintain air pressure normally 40% longer." Therefore, they say, you'll roll on tires that are always properly inflated, resulting in better fuel economy and longer tire life.

Tires filled with nitrogen maintain inflation pressure longer than compressed air-filled tires in fluctuating temperatures. This is the reason most, if not all commercial airlines, fill airplane tires with nitrogen, as temperatures can change dramatically between takeoff and landing.

Last edited:

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Quote from Costco and Porsche dealership:
Since nitrogen molecules are bigger than normal air molecules, it is harder for them to leak out. This means a tire filled with nitrogen will maintain air pressure longer. Therefore, they say, you'll roll on tires that are always properly inflated, resulting in better fuel economy and longer tire life.
They really said that? Normal air is 78% nitrogen. Most of the rest is oxygen. N and O are right next to each other on the periodic table and are very close in both size and weight. Both are found naturally as N2 and O2. The atomic radius of nitrogen is actually larger at 71 pm (picometers) compared to 66pm for oxygen for reasons beyond the scope of this discussion. Regardless, the difference in size is negligible for a calculation like that.

Sorry to tell you but they are full of horse manure.

Sponsored

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

ColoradoShooter

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma/Fusion
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thereā€™s a reason why NASCAR teams all run nitrogen in their tires. They live and die by consistent tire pressure throughout the radical temperature changes they ensure to maintain optimal handling. Nitrogen also reduces the amount of water vapor the air can absorb.
Iā€™ve worked with top tier Cup teams for over 20yrs and there isnā€™t any advantage they wonā€™t apply to the cars.

Aherpa

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge, Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ok whoā€™s had their tires over inflated at delivery? Most I would guess..
I check tire pressure after every service since I found the dealer pumps them up to 40PSI. Both temperature and the humidity level inside the tire affect pressure. If the air being pumped in does not have an in-stream air dryer the air can have a high humidity level, especially in Iowa in the summertime. It is my understanding the humidity level inside the tire causes most of the pressure fluctuations due to temperature changes.
I researched the subject when trying to decide to put nitrogen in my tires rather than chase the PSI mouse. Turns out, being careful about the dryness of the air going into the tire is a bigger payoff.

olderbudwiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lincoln Corsair, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thereā€™s a reason why NASCAR teams all run nitrogen in their tires. They live and die by consistent tire pressure throughout the radical temperature changes they ensure to maintain optimal handling. Nitrogen also reduces the amount of water vapor the air can absorb.
Iā€™ve worked with top tier Cup teams for over 20yrs and there isnā€™t any advantage they wonā€™t apply to the cars.
I will keep that in mind next time I'm driving at 200 mph +. Having unlimited funds may help as well.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Its very common in the industry to overinflate tires to 50PSI prior to sale. It can help minimize the effects of flat spotting if it sits for a long time and ensure that even if the vehicle is neglected for long periods and loses pressure it will have plenty of tire pressure to be moved around.

Sponsored

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
When delivered mine were only 2-3 PSI over the 35 that was listed on the door label.

I use the FordPass App to check tire pressures,

Mine are currently:

Front: 37, 35
Rear: 36, 37

The TPI numbers on the Maverick match both in the info screen on the 4.2" display and the FordPass App. However the numbers reported are off by - 0.5 to +1.5 PSI from the actual real numbers.

These are the numbers actually in the tires:

Front: 36 (-1.0), 36.5 (+1.5)
Rear: 36 (+0.0) , 36.5 (-0.5)

I always like to be about 1 PSI over to allow for slow leakage over time.

It is a good idea to check the real tire pressures then turn on the Maverick and look at the tire pressure info display and note the differences then use those differences when looking on the FordPass App to determine actual tire pressures.

Last edited:

ReddWulf

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick FX4, Harley Road King Classic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Every time I see green caps on wheels I think "snake air".
I put green caps on just because I liked the color on my Maverick. šŸ˜†

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My Pirelli Scorpions came from the dealer at 42-43 pounds all around. Way too firm. Aired them down to 35 and had softer/smoother ride and better grip. Bought MAXXIS RAZR AT's from Les Schwab. They aired them to 40 pounds at installation. Lowered them to 35. That seemed a little soft for road travel, added back to 38. Seems perfect.

BDennis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion, E450 Leprechaun
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is just an example of why... So you build a truck in Mexico. You fill it up to cold psi requirements, then you transport to a hotter environment, that psi is going to climb, you could even add that the sun has been baking it all day, and then you drive it, and it climbs even more. Now, perhaps you live in a cold climate and this chain of events sounds totally wrong for you... In which case, I have no answer other than " just release air and be happy they overfilled than underfilled".
They may over inflate for storage so the the tires are not impacted by being parked long term. Some hybrids were built two months before the OKTB. i do this for my motorhome between trips.

BDennis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion, E450 Leprechaun
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Mine are at 41 but the dealer put Nitrogen in them. Donā€™t know if that changes things, my last vehicle also had nitrogen and it had higher pressure than normal too at 41
Nitrogen should be set at the same pressure. How much did they charge you for the nitrogen?
Sponsored

Last edited: