First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Grand Cherokee
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hey Snax do you have a hybrid? Or an ecoboost?
As I have read about issues with the Mav, it seems to be Hybrid problems when it comes to drivetrain. the EcoBoost seems to be ok? Am I seeing this correctly? The paint issue is a possibility for all. But other than these two, I have not heard of things serious mechanically in other areas. Could it be because the base of the Mav is an existing system and most of the bugs have been worked out, and the 2.0 is an over 10 years old engine already and they have worked those out on it also, the current version since 2015, while the hybrid is "new"? I wonder; is the 2.0 block still based on the Mazda engine?
Sponsored

DeeZee

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Hybrid XLT Luxury Package
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah toyota seems to have taken a dive. The again the 1980 toyota pickup I had died of terminal rust because they didn't do much rustproofing in those days.

Like a previous poster stated, we have been mazda fans. Everything just worked with no problems. But they don't make a crew cab AWD compact pickup.

I have already experienced several issues with my 3 week old mav and spent 1 of those 3 weeks driving a loaner. They were all addressed by the dealer under warranty. Ford has some work to do because although the issues were minor they were preventable.
Recently Mazda has taken over Toyota as the #1 “brand” for quality.

All manufacturers have their duds however over the long run there is Toyota and then everyone else for building quality vehicles.

I think Toyota has been caught with their pants down and have fallen behind on producing new products that people really want. As a result they are doing “non Toyota” acts and rushing things.

The new Tundra with the crappy turbo V6 has not been good. It replaced the generation of trucks that are the most reliable ever produced.

I really hope Ford can straighten things out with their quality because the Maverick is a great idea. People can deal with “cheap” if they perceive value however poor quality is never acceptable.

Jakb

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Recently Mazda has taken over Toyota as the #1 “brand” for quality.

All manufacturers have their duds however over the long run there is Toyota and then everyone else for building quality vehicles.

I think Toyota has been caught with their pants down and have fallen behind on producing new products that people really want. As a result they are doing “non Toyota” acts and rushing things.

The new Tundra with the crappy turbo V6 has not been good. It replaced the generation of trucks that are the most reliable ever produced.

I really hope Ford can straighten things out with their quality because the Maverick is a great idea. People can deal with “cheap” if they perceive value however poor quality is never acceptable.
It seems most car companies go through a cycle.

• Slow down and build the same car for a while with great reliability
  • Realize you are far behind the pack
  • "Innovate" and build a bunch of crap
  • Attempt to fix the crap for a few years
  • Redesign everything based on reliability
  • Rinse
  • Repeat
Mostly it's just a debate of how long each company stays in each stage.

Aherpa

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge, Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Based on how often people in this forum jump all over anyone who questions the quality of Ford's vehicles, I'm not expecting this thread to go well.

I'm feeling good about having purchased an extended warranty. As the article states, "The problems continued in 2021. That year Ford allocated $1,041 per vehicle for covering warranty claims." Seems like the cost of my extended warranty is somewhat similar, and it about doubles the duration of the original warranty. The accounting department at Ford seems to be on their toes.

But at least Ford has hired someone to deal with the problem. If my truck proves to be unreliable, I'll sell it with some warranty remaining--and then decide if Mr. Halliburton's mission was successful before buying something else from Ford. While I love my truck, I'm never had so many issues with any Toyota, Honda, or Mitsubishi that I've owned.
At $1041 per vehicle for warranty claims. . . if Ford 'only' makes 100,000 Mavericks, that's $104,100,000.

It seems like for that amount of money, it would be financially prudent to make "Quality is Job 1" more than a slogan.

olderbudwiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lincoln Corsair, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I try not to be too negative. Left Ford 15+ years ago. Even then Ford was taking shortcuts to validate new hardware and or get vehicles to market.

If a department could save 60K in testing but later realized 30 million in recall costs.

There were no repercussions for the shortcut to get a vehicle or parts to market. Mainly because (recall) money comes out of a different pocket.

Saving 60k from a department budget is huge. Save enough department manager sees a bigger bonus. $$$ three cheers for me and let the buyer beware.

Sponsored

pa-outdoorsman

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT, EB, LUX, FX4, 4K, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

In my view, Ford has not been an automotive manufacturer known for its quality. I have been a Mazda fan since 1992 due to their quality. I never purchase an extended warranty for my Mazda vehicles. For my Maverick I did purchase an extended warranty because I anticipate repairs will be needed.
We had a Mazda 626 in the early 2000s that had a transmission that went bad TWICE. Never bought another Mazda...

athertonbt

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL EB FWD Carb Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think that since I'm getting converted to a '23 I'll be a little better off as they've been addressing they're growing pains with the first year. So far here in SW Chicagoland I've run into about 10 Maverick owners and they've all been happy with their small trucks.
I've had similar experiences talking with owners in my town. My truck is scheduled to be built 9/5, so airbag fix will be done, etc. I was impatient to get it, but now it looks like all of the late builds are actually avoiding all the 'first year build' stuff, so probably a blessing in disguise. Still looking forward to getting the truck. Have a couple family members who have been driving Escapes anywhere from 5-10 years and they're holding up nicely.

DeeZee

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I try not to be too negative. Left Ford 15+ years ago. Even then Ford was taking shortcuts to validate new hardware and or get vehicles to market.

If a department could save 60K in testing but later realized 30 million in recall costs.

There were no repercussions for the shortcut to get a vehicle or parts to market. Mainly because (recall) money comes out of a different pocket.

Saving 60k from a department budget is huge. Save enough department manager sees a bigger bonus. $$$ three cheers for me and let the buyer beware.
As someone who services large companies this is true. Lots of smart people forced to do stupid things to get through the corporate minefield.

DeeZee

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We had a Mazda 626 in the early 2000s that had a transmission that went bad TWICE. Never bought another Mazda...
Yea in the past Mazda had problems with their rotary motors, turbos and so on.

Never owned a Mazda product but the people I know that have them love’em.

Aherpa

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge, Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yea in the past Mazda had problems with their rotary motors, turbos and so on.

Never owned a Mazda product but the people I know that have them love’em.
I had a 1980 RX7 and loved it. While not a powerhouse, it had great power for the 70 CID of that rotary. Six power strokes per single rotation made it smooth.

Wish I still had it.

Sponsored

fordtruckster

First Name
KK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camry SE, 2021 CX9 Signature
same exact scenario with us. We swore off Mazda forever. However, we now have a 2021 Mazda CX9 signature currently and are thrilled with it.

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you place "reliability" at the top of your vehicle shopping list, you probably don't want to shop Ford, along with many of other OEM's.

As mentioned previously, there are some OEM's who hang on to older proven tech longer, to improve/maintain their reliability status. Others seek out the latest/greatest at the risk of. Everyone has to make that call with what they are comfortable with.

Personally, some of the most reliable vehicles I've owned have also been the least satisfying, and vise-versa. Just depends what you're looking for. The real jewels are the models that you thoroughly enjoy driving every day, and they also present few/no problems over the course of ownership. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've had more Fords that fit in this category than any other. I anticipate my Mav will follow suit. 🤠

flyking1

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick, Hyundai Elantra
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've had similar experiences talking with owners in my town. My truck is scheduled to be built 9/5, so airbag fix will be done, etc. I was impatient to get it, but now it looks like all of the late builds are actually avoiding all the 'first year build' stuff, so probably a blessing in disguise. Still looking forward to getting the truck. Have a couple family members who have been driving Escapes anywhere from 5-10 years and they're holding up nicely.
Agreed, I am actually glad I am late in the build year given the problems, and also hoping they'll be ironed out by my build. My big worry is my current truck won't hold on for this extra year I didn't plan to be driving it...20 years old and living on borrowed time.

OP
OP
Barracuda340

Barracuda340

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 Silverado , 07 mustang, 69 barracuda
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
About the only things with toyotas I dont like are the alternating bland styling interchanged with planet bizzaro styling. Almost like they play it too safe, then tip some tequila and go too much party animal on the next one. It used to be the severe rusting out issues, but I think they finally solved that one.

Looks and functionality are important to me. Some of the dashboards in toyotas are lacking. Like they design it, then go oh shit we forgot this and hastily tack it in there. I remember renting a corolla 2 years ago and wondering about the dash on that thing. It's like the designers fought with each other about how it was to be integrated. Car was fine to rent, but was not something I could see myself owning.

By the time I finally got used to the existing tundra, they came out with a new one. I dubbed it how martians design a pickup truck. I kinda threw up a little when I saw it. I mean the old one was bad enough kinda like the current generation Silverado with the weirdo swoopy fenders. But this one was hit with an ugly stick.

Last edited:

FlyingScot

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Eco Lux FX4 4K CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Quality and repairs across all manufacturers is a bit of a crapshoot. My Acura TL had to have the transmission replaced twice - once proactively and once after warranty ran out…but they covered because this component had been extended. I had a Ford F150 bought new in 1996 that was the biggest piece of junk - then I had a 2004 Lariat F150 4x4 Triton that lasted 180K miles until 2017. Yes we got the dreaded tap (5.4 Triton issue nevermind the spark plugs) but made $10K on Trade in. That then became our 2017 Honda Ridgeline which was good but many small things - back sliding window, various electronic components, weather stripping fail and ultimately multiple attempts to fix the transmission from a Surge that would show up (again common for that vehicle - first recall was a transmission flush and fill…).

Point is, can be good or not you just never know. Our 2016 Mini has bee absolutely reliable and a joy to own but if you read the history rated awful. My daughter’s 2019 VW GTI similar - and has been a joy to own (not to mention 6 year 72K warranty). This Maverick may be great in Eco but a pain in Hybrid - or vice-versa.

I will say I feel better getting an Ecoboost as this engine had its issues in different forms but Ford has had long-enough to get sorted by all accounts. You would think similar to the Hybrid (i.e. Fusion) but there is enough “new” that they still have some things to sort - may be small and easily resolved. As noted, if concerned get the extended warranty but I’m hoping for a vehicle like my 2004 F150 - something that will just run and run well. At least that is my bet
Sponsored