Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Fix Or Repair Daily

Found On Road Dead

Factory Ordered Road Disaster
Ford isn't the only one. I had a Toyota truck that had a couple of small issues but I had to junk it because the frame rusted so bad at 140k. Shame cause the engine was still good.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

So yall are on a forum to buy a vehicle you think will crap out? I can take a dump in a box and slap a warranty sticker on it if yall wanna buy some, Shipping is $29.95 from Maui for a guaranteed dump in a box. Seriously I got the box. And tape!

OP
OP
Barracuda340

Barracuda340

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 Silverado , 07 mustang, 69 barracuda
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So yall are on a forum to buy a vehicle you think will crap out? I can take a dump in a box and slap a warranty sticker on it if yall wanna buy some, Shipping is $29.95 from Maui for a guaranteed dump in a box. Seriously I got the box. And tape!
No. I just found the article from the WSJ and it gave me pause. Nobody wants to buy a vehicle that's gonna crap out. I am hoping since mine is such a late order ecoboost scheduled to be built this coming week, that maybe any of the bugs on the earlier ones have been worked out. I don't abuse my vehicles, however I dont have a whole lot of time in my daily schedule to drop a vehicle off and wait for warranty work either.

YazYaz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The article actually tries to compare number of Ford recalls vs Tesla recalls. Ford sold almost 2 million vehicles in 2021. Tesla sole 300,000. There are many such absurd comparisons in the article. Companies that introduce more new vehicle models with new technology will always have more recalls. A long-standing policy of both Honda and Toyota is to lag far behind in new technology until their competitors "test" them for years so that their "recall" numbers stay low.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Barracuda340

Barracuda340

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 Silverado , 07 mustang, 69 barracuda
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I bought my last brand new vehicle in 2008. A 4 cylinder Chevy HHR 2.2L 5 speed shitbox. So it's now 14 years old and pretty much shot. I tend to keep vehicles a pretty long time, and am hoping to do the same with a maverick. At the very least 9 years to get me to retirement, but hoping 14-15 years.

I also bought a Chevy Silverado C1500 pickup new in 1994. I still have that one 28 years later. Runs great. Has 1 minor issue, and that is the A/C went out. I'm a mechanic so repairing it is no big deal. I dont drive it daily anymore so I dont care about that so much.

The problem with newer vehicles is the electronics. They have gotten progressively complicated every year. They werent too bad in the 1980s when I was working on FWD chrysler turbo cars. But back then you had one brain box running the whole show, and a handful of sensors. I guess I'm showing my age with that statement.

I am hoping for the best with this little trucklet. But will also do the extended warranty to cover my ass. Other than a new Dodge Challenger T/A 392 with 6 speed manual trans which is way out of my price range, this is the only vehicle out there that "tripped my trigger" so to speak that I can actually afford.

MostlySafeBear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Eventually) a Ford Truck
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
People act like Ford having quality issues is somehow specific to Ford. They don't also talk about how wheels are falling off of Toyotas, even though Toyota is supposed to be known for reliability. They still have their problems, we just don't hear about them much.

When a million plus people die (1,065,555 and counting, that's over 357 9/11 terror attacks) in a country and millions more are disabled from COVID and/or retire to avoid it, there's a huge knowledge gap. That gap will take time to be filled. In the meantime, that's what warranties are for.

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
how wheels are falling off of Toyotas, even though Toyota is supposed to be known for reliability. They still have their problems, we just don't hear about them much.
You don't "hear about them as much" because there aren't as many. Yes, the BZ4X has issues. Toyota has offered to buy all of them back.

This is not a difficult concept. Toyota is "known for reliability" because that is the reputation they have busted their ass to build for decades now. It often means their cars are uninspiring and they are usually last to the party with adopting new stuff - like widespread use of forced induction. It's why they use dual injection instead of just direct injection in most of their cars. It's why they do a lot of things.

Ford is not on par with Toyota, plain and simple. That's not a personal attack on anyone's choices. Sometimes the vehicle you want and the most reliable choice do not line up, and that's fine. That's what warranties are for. I'd rather have a Toyota than a Ford. But I want a Maverick. So I'll buy a Maverick. I won't buy an extended warranty, but if it is unreliable in the first 36,000 miles then I'll buy something else.

MostlySafeBear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Eventually) a Ford Truck
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You don't "hear about them as much" because there aren't as many. Yes, the BZ4X has issues. Toyota has offered to buy all of them back.
Wheels falling off is a pretty basic thing. How long has Toyota been making vehicles, and attaching wheels to them? Long enough to have it down to a science now, I'd hope.

That was just one example among many. The POINT was to illustrate that even for a manufacturer that has tried very hard to make reliable vehicles, they fall short, and we don't hear about it much because most people here are not all over Toyota forums.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Toyota/Tacoma/2021/drivetrain/power_train.shtml

That's just one model, and one complaint category. There are many more.

Ford is not on par with Toyota, plain and simple. That's not a personal attack on anyone's choices. Sometimes the vehicle you want and the most reliable choice do not line up, and that's fine. That's what warranties are for. I'd rather have a Toyota than a Ford. But I want a Maverick. So I'll buy a Maverick. I won't buy an extended warranty, but if it is unreliable in the first 36,000 miles then I'll buy something else.
I never said that they matched up in quality, and I did call out the purpose of a warranty.

Last edited:
Sponsored

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
People act like Ford having quality issues is somehow specific to Ford. They don't also talk about how wheels are falling off of Toyotas, even though Toyota is supposed to be known for reliability. They still have their problems, we just don't hear about them much.

When a million plus people die (1,065,555 and counting, that's over 357 9/11 terror attacks) in a country and millions more are disabled from COVID and/or retire to avoid it, there's a huge knowledge gap. That gap will take time to be filled. In the meantime, that's what warranties are for.
Yeah toyota seems to have taken a dive. The again the 1980 toyota pickup I had died of terminal rust because they didn't do much rustproofing in those days.

Like a previous poster stated, we have been mazda fans. Everything just worked with no problems. But they don't make a crew cab AWD compact pickup.

I have already experienced several issues with my 3 week old mav and spent 1 of those 3 weeks driving a loaner. They were all addressed by the dealer under warranty. Ford has some work to do because although the issues were minor they were preventable.

DeeZee

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Hybrid XLT Luxury Package
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In my view, Ford has not been an automotive manufacturer known for its quality. I have been a Mazda fan since 1992 due to their quality. I never purchase an extended warranty for my Mazda vehicles. For my Maverick I did purchase an extended warranty because I anticipate repairs will be needed.
Agree

From my experience Ford is at the bottom of auto manufacturers for the cars I have owned…..just above Chrysler.

When / if the Maverick I ordered shows up I only plan on keeping it during the warranty period. If I really love it and want to keep it then you can always purchase an extended warranty.

Stive

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper, Lexus RX350, Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It would be interesting to have a log of the warranty issues. Such as Hybrid or ECO, Trim level, Date Built, Date Delivered, Description of Warranty issue, Warranty Completed, etc. Who knows, we may see a pattern and what to expect or look out for.

Area51BS

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That all have service centers for a reason. Oil changes are not why. A lot of people work in these service centers. Must be making money somehow.
Sponsored