John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

so are you saying that when the brake is applied, friction braking rather than regen braking takes over above 70%? That's how my Nissan Leaf EV works above 90%. When I stop accelerating, it simply coasts rather than regen slowing.
Yes. And if you use the brake for an extended period (not sure what that period is) THEN engine brake kicks in to take load off your friction brakes so you don't over-heat them.
Sponsored

NJ Pinelands

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It will be AT LEAST 13 months by the time my first Maverick arrives. Can not wait to see any gas mileage in at least the 40 mpg range. I have loved my 2012 Chevy Colorado but at 20 mpg, the gas prices are really hurting. Best of luck to all who already have their Maverick.

jwesterly

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford ranger, next...
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Much thanks for the good info!! Excellent work!

Salwans

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Audi A4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I wonder whether Slippery mode has any positive effect on MPG for the Ecoboost drivetrain (compared to ECO mode.) Clearly there’s no regenerative breaking in this case, but I was thinking in terms of gear shift points. Are they programmed in a way that is more favorable to fuel efficiency than the eco mode?

sprubs

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nunya
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
so I've never owned a hybrid. I get that some of these different modes might do different amounts of regenerative braking while going down a hill while the driver is not stepping on the accelerator pedal or the brake pedal. but let's say I'm going down a hill and I press on the brake a little bit to slow down. will all of these modes produce the same amount of regenerative braking assuming all other conditions are the same? if that is the case I guess the slippery mode argument kind of makes sense. you get to fully decide when you do regenerative braking. of course this relies on you (the driver) braking slowly and early enough.

are there other differences between the modes that weren't mentioned in the OP? maybe less aggressive on take off (also saves fuel)?

Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
are there other differences between the modes that weren't mentioned in the OP? maybe less aggressive on take off (also saves fuel)?
Yes. Slippery, Eco, and Low reduce the amount of throttle input which makes it easier to avoid overshooting the EV accel limit or slipping the wheels in low traction. Also gives room to to modulate the amount of regen so you can be pressing on the throttle but still effectively braking, just less so, even if it sounds a little counterintuitive.

Eco especially also calms down the cruise control so it's less prone to mash the gas if you command a faster setting or an incline drops the speed below the set point. That said the programming is still a little less conservative than my Fusion was at staying within the EV limit.

OP
OP
GPSMan

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Agreed with above. If my foot is steady on the go pedal, the truck will either speed up or slow down when I change modes. It adjusts throttle response, brake response, and coasting behavior.

Mav2

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All Fords
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It will be AT LEAST 13 months by the time my first Maverick arrives. Can not wait to see any gas mileage in at least the 40 mpg range. I have loved my 2012 Chevy Colorado but at 20 mpg, the gas prices are really hurting. Best of luck to all who already have their Maverick.
Trust me I went from a GMC Sierra Z71 It's well worth the wait You are gonna love it!

Benilla

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Awesome, tested it this week and it coasts fantastic on slippery mode! Feels like when I used to throw my old cars into neutral to coast

mikellmikell

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Colorado's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Tried it last night just cruising back streets in town. 18 Miles 50.4 MPG. Lots of winding streets and hills.

Sponsored
OP
OP
GPSMan

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Slippery mode is all I use now. Unless I forget. I'm on flat streets and flat freeways. I may use a different mode or L if I had lots of hills.

My skills are getting better. I do watch my rearview mirror. If people are behind me after a stop, I'll accelerate normally, like 20-25% on the power meter, 2800 engine RPM then back off; let it go to EV mode, and coast or use gentle electric power to maintain the speed limit or 3-4 above it. Seems to do just as well, if not better than trying to launch and accelerate in all electric. Then I started to think about it.

Accelerating from a dead stop, takes a lot of juice and you spend a lot of time at low speeds and cover very little ground in electric. Getting to 45 or 55 MPH in 20 seconds, then kicking off the engine, and coasting or using electric to maintain, you can glide for 2-3 minutes, at the high speed, and you cover much more ground in EV mode.

Week one in the truck I was pleased to get 55 MPG. Week two I was excited to see 65 MPG routinely. My new best is 71 MPG for a 11 mile commute. Flat, no hill assist, and ever so slightly net uphill.
I am new to this truck but have been driving hybrids since 2005.

Ford Maverick Tested: Slippery Mode is best for highest MPG (in Hybrid Maverick) 36674407-CD3A-4C40-AAD1-A5BDBB27F376

I'm on the fuel tank from delivery, 347.5 miles total, with 379 showing left to go on the miles to empty.

LushRoller

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Jeep Cherokee
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I appreciate the detailed info here. I'll definitely be putting this to use if my 2023 order ever gets made.