2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

My first hybrid. So would Slippery be ok at 65 with cruise set? Any harm?
Sponsored

OP
OP
GPSMan

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Untested. But I can't imagine it would do any harm. Might not make any noticeable difference. The point of cruise is to keep speed exactly constant, MPG be dammed, not allow momentum and gravity to take control, which is what coasting is.

I view the largest benefit to Slippery is when you are coasting.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Interesting. I always felt like Slippery's off-throttle regen was between Normal and Eco. Or maybe it's just how much it retards the throttle input that sits in the middle of those two. But I suppose that'd explain why some people were getting best MPG results in slippery.

Personally I usually drive in Eco (for smoothing the cruise control hysteresis) and Low (to automatically hit max regen without going into friction brakes) while just balancing the pedal if I want 'coast'. Fun fact: if you get the coast juuust right it won't even say either 'Charging' or 'Electric' on the Lariat dash.
I have decided due to observing the digital speed to the needle speed that when the pointer is pointing to the very left of the 0-10%-20%-etc bars on the display it is indicating 0-10%,etc and when it's pointing to the right edge it's pointing to a higher reading in that before it gets to the right side of the bar it's pointing to say 11%,etc. At least on my lariat.

Bmr4mav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Lux Hybrid 23
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is the kind of nerding out the Prius community does and I love it.

My 2014 Prius V did not have a slippery mode BUT you were able to coast by pressing the accelerator a tiny amount. No regen or motor drive, 100% coasting. Was easiest to achieve while in eco mode due to the softer ramp of the drive by wire.

I wonder if the same is possible with the Mav. It’s easy to tell what’s going on using the info screen.

That said I do look forward to just putting the Mav in slippery mode.

Take some tips from the video below. It’s 13 years old but most if not all of the techniques are still valid. Pulse and Glide plus other tips like braking

Last edited:

Sponsored

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Slippery mode is best ANY time you want minimum regeneration. I use it all the time even when battery is as low as 30% charged. It is for coasting, gliding, drifting, sailing, whatever you want to call it. Next best thing to Neutral which is zero regen.
I am going to call it Slipping!

OP
OP
GPSMan

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Slippery still regens, it just regens the least of any automatic mode.

You can turn regen off by "shifting" to N with the knob. But then you gotta remember to shift back. 😜

And shifting to N frequently is a little controversial. You won't have the "go" pedal in a panic if something suddenly come up. So use N with extreme caution and extra hyper alertness, or yes, use the very lightest pressure on the go pedal using EV coach as a guide.

sprubs

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nunya
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
does regen when actively braking vary between these modes?

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
does regen when actively braking vary between these modes?
The different drive modes affect how much regen braking occurs when you lift off the throttle. Slippery will slow you down the least, allowing you to coast farther. Eco will slow you down the most, so you can't really coast well.

Separate but related, braking is what's referred to as blended braking. That means that the system will first use as much regen braking as it can, and then use the conventional friction brakes.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but the total amount of regen braking available should be the same when you push down on the pedal.

What you will notice is that with Slippery, you'll need to push down harder on the brake pedal to slow down than Normal, and more in Normal than Eco.

Bmr4mav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Lux Hybrid 23
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sponsored

Bmr4mav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Lux Hybrid 23
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Slippery still regens, it just regens the least of any automatic mode.

You can turn regen off by "shifting" to N with the knob. But then you gotta remember to shift back. 😜

And shifting to N frequently is a little controversial. You won't have the "go" pedal in a panic if something suddenly come up. So use N with extreme caution and extra hyper alertness, or yes, use the very lightest pressure on the go pedal using EV coach as a guide.
never shift to neutral.

I bet the Mav is just like my Prius and there is a gap where you can coast with zero regen with the perfect gas pedal pressure.

sprubs

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nunya
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The different drive modes affect how much regen braking occurs when you lift off the throttle. Slippery will slow you down the least, allowing you to coast farther. Eco will slow you down the most, so you can't really coast well.

Separate but related, braking is what's referred to as blended braking. That means that the system will first use as much regen braking as it can, and then use the conventional friction brakes.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but the total amount of regen braking available should be the same when you push down on the pedal.

What you will notice is that with Slippery, you'll need to push down harder on the brake pedal to slow down than Normal, and more in Normal than Eco.
this is what I was asking about. never owned a hybrid before. thanks!

adsandiego

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 MAV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is there a way to keep the truck permanently in Eco mode? I noticed that every time I restart the engine, it goes back to Normal mode. It's a hassle having to switch mode every time.

Gullzway

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Ford Mustang Fastback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is there a way to keep the truck permanently in Eco mode? I noticed that every time I restart the engine, it goes back to Normal mode. It's a hassle having to switch mode every time.
No.
Sponsored