2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Elantra, forester, ranger, crx
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Makes a huge difference, dont let it slam down, causing wear and tear, its also super noisy letting it slam down. Big reasons why premium trucks have this as a standard option and $40 bucks well spent.
Yeah, the name "tailgate assist" is kind of a misnomer... They should just call it a damper. I just installed the deezee product last weekend and it is one of the best things I've done to this truck so far. I absolutely would not hesitate to spend that $40 again or recommend it to other owners. The install is kind of wonky, but now that it's on, I cannot imagine going back.
Sponsored

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah, the name "tailgate assist" is kind of a misnomer... They should just call it a damper. I just installed the deezee product last weekend and it is one of the best things I've done to this truck so far. I absolutely would not hesitate to spend that $40 again or recommend it to other owners. The install is kind of wonky, but now that it's on, I cannot imagine going back.
How level is your tailgate ? Mine is still on the droopy side. Driver side cable looked chewed on direct from the factory but not sure if that's the issue. The dampner is great, just a touch of class - IMO

AAR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus
I picked up these triangle tiedown points on amazon, fit nicely with the soft open tailgate assist strut mod and even goes over the remaining bottle opener just fine.

20220805_183118.jpg
20220805_183113.jpg
20220805_183108.jpg

1659758972083.png

Does it protrude in any way when trying to close the tailgate?

BankableWhee

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Does the tailgate damper prevent tailgate "bouncing" when driving with the tailgate down? I went over a speed bump forgetting my tailgate was down, and I just about cried the tailgate slammed so hard, LOL

Abraxis

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Elantra, forester, ranger, crx
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

How level is your tailgate ? Mine is still on the droopy side. Driver side cable looked chewed on direct from the factory but not sure if that's the issue. The dampner is great, just a touch of class - IMO
Mine isn't totally level, either. To me, it is most noticable when I'm closing the tailgate and one side meets up with the bed, whilst the other side still has like a eighth inch or greater gap lol.

Sponsored

fishinmagician

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 maverick hybrid XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Don't waste your time. The tailgate weighs nothing. The assist is pointless IMO. It can literally be lowered with two fingers.
I lower it with my pinky!

OP
OP
FriarPop

FriarPop

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Does the tailgate damper prevent tailgate "bouncing" when driving with the tailgate down? I went over a speed bump forgetting my tailgate was down, and I just about cried the tailgate slammed so hard, LOL
Yes, that added stiffness prevents bouncing.

Jmav2152

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Mav, 15' KTM 1190 ADV R, 19' Husq TE250i
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've owned trucks for like 10+ years and never let one slam down.....what is going on with yall? If you think the maverick needs an "assit" then I dunno what you would want on a older super duty lol hydraulic jack maybe?

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I've got tie downs too for when I Install my tailgate assist.
Those don't look bad. I was thinking of something for tying down the front of my canoe. I had made some D rings on my front bumper of my old truck and some strap things that came up between the fender and hood of my Buick when the canoe is on the roof racks but I wanted to make something nice for the Maverick.

Sponsored
OP
OP
FriarPop

FriarPop

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I've owned trucks for like 10+ years and never let one slam down.....what is going on with yall? If you think the maverick needs an "assit" then I dunno what you would want on a older super duty lol hydraulic jack maybe?
Nobody "needs it" but its nice to have so move along. Ford sells it as an official upgrade for a good reason.

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Totally agree. All my mods are practical and performance improvements. The truck is there to serve me, not the other way around.

Austun316

Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xl
The tailgate assist on this truck is the biggest waste of 50 dollars.

The tailgate is light and low. It's not like it's a ranger or f150.

I don't get the hype.

CLEMav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes, that added stiffness prevents bouncing.
The assist damper only slows the tailgate on the way down, not on the way up. So if it bounces high enough, it won’t slam as hard, otherwise it still bounces.

I got this product from Ride88 that holds the tailgate down when I carry my ebikes. Works great, you insert one end into the tailgate latch and the other rubber grommet side on the latch post and tighten it down. No more bounce.

https://www.ride88.com/product-page/tailgate-boss

Ford Maverick Tailgate tie down anchors / hooks that work with Tailgate Assist strut -- installed pics 048683DF-B91F-4390-B468-8618F1300056
Sponsored