Sponsored

Possible tie down solution for tailgate assist?

kmish203

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Renegade
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There was a thread out there of a member that did an awesome job of fabricating a custom tie down that works with the tailgate assist strut. I tried to add this post to that thread, but it has been closed for new replies. I'll link it HERE if you haven't seen it already. Well I was searching around Amazon as I'm not a big fan of the tie downs that rotate and clank around as opposed to fixed ones like the bottle opener you lose and found these TIE DOWNS that were made for a Tacoma but seem to be a very similar angle as the custom ones referenced above.
Ford Maverick Possible tie down solution for tailgate assist? Screen Shot 2022-05-28 at 6.20.11 AM

I took a shot and ordered a set for myself, but my truck is currently in production so I have no way to test for sure if they will work or not. I feel like the angle is sharp enough that it will clear the bed sidewall when closed, just like the custom ones do in the pictures from the previous thread. If not I'm sure it could be pinched and modified slightly to fit. Again, I have no proof that these will in fact work but I thought it was worth a shot and wanted to share my Amazon find. They're prime so they shouldn't be a big deal to return if they don't work out. Maybe these will help somebody else out before I even get my hands on my truck. If somebody does try them, please post some pictures of your results!

EDIT: finally got my truck and they work perfect! See pics in a later post in this thread
Sponsored

Last edited:

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is the inexpensive solution that works for me. I have found that it does not as you suggest "flop around" or clang with the tailgate closed.

Ford Maverick Possible tie down solution for tailgate assist? CrocSee Bed Tie Down Anchor.JPG

Ford Maverick Possible tie down solution for tailgate assist? CrocSee Installed.JPG

OP
OP
kmish203

kmish203

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Renegade
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This is the inexpensive solution that works for me. I have found that it does not as you suggest "flop around" or clang with the tailgate closed.

CrocSee Bed Tie Down Anchor.JPG

CrocSee Installed.JPG
These are my backup plan. As I mentioned, I just prefer a fixed mount if I can make it work. With less moving parts there are less possible failure points.

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
These are my backup plan. As I mentioned, I just prefer a fixed mount if I can make it work. With less moving parts there are less possible failure points.
I bought a set of four for $12.96 so I have three spares if needed.

These are also high strength and heavy duty:

• HEAVY DUTY and DURABLE: CrocSee v-ring tie down anchors for trailers are made of high-strength steel for strength and longevity, and have an assembly break strength of 4,000 pounds and an awesome safe working load limit of 1,500 pounds per each ring.

I also wanted the replacement tie-down in the same position on the tailgate as the one removed.

Link to CrocSee Tie-Downs on Amazon

CrocSee 4 Pack Truck Bed Tie Down Anchors Trailer Cargo Hooks Bolt on D Rings V Rings Heavy Duty

OP
OP
kmish203

kmish203

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Renegade
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I bought a set of four for $12.96 so I have three spares if needed.

These are also high strength and heavy duty:

• HEAVY DUTY and DURABLE: CrocSee v-ring tie down anchors for trailers are made of high-strength steel for strength and longevity, and have an assembly break strength of 4,000 pounds and an awesome safe working load limit of 1,500 pounds per each ring.

I also wanted the replacement tie-down in the same position on the tailgate as the one removed.

Link to CrocSee Tie-Downs on Amazon

CrocSee 4 Pack Truck Bed Tie Down Anchors Trailer Cargo Hooks Bolt on D Rings V Rings Heavy Duty
That's fine, just not my personal preferred option. Just sharing what I found as I've seen those V-rings all over the place but nobody has talked about this option

Sponsored

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I used a hacksaw on the OEM and used half of it. Works great with a bit of black paint.
Do you have a picture of what it now looks like?

LC48

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, AWD, Carbonized Gray. Highlander Lim
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Yes, a picture would be great @SkeeterB

@kmish203 if you wind up using one as @huunvubu illustrates above and it is "floppy" , before install place it on your anvil and using a round punch and hammer give it a couple small dimples as shown by the red dots on the pic below, go easy - check often

Ford Maverick Possible tie down solution for tailgate assist? CrocSee Bed Tie Down Anchor.JPG

rclee

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Maverick Lux,A51,Hybrid,Rear Slider.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Good Idea Skeeter! I am heading to the garage :)

Sponsored

Chris McD

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

CrocSee Installed.JPG
I like this solution since it tucks out of the way when the tailgate is down. I don’t have to watch out for it if I sit on the tailgate or step up to get into the bed. Ordering a set.

TheGriffin1313

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mav, 05 M3, 07GSXR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

CrocSee Installed.JPG
just installed the assist to find out that the bracket is deleted. I says "you need to remove the bottle opener"... As if this tie down main use is a bottle opener. I guess to help QA not notice that a tie down is deleted not just a bottle opener.... Excellent find though will be adding this

OP
OP
kmish203

kmish203

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Renegade
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I finally got my truck and installed the tailgate assist and these brackets work perfectly as a fixed tie down point in place of the lost bottle opener! I'll try to get some pictures later but they worked exactly as I had hoped previously. Highly recommend if you're looking for a solid bracket.

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I finally got my truck and installed the tailgate assist and these brackets work perfectly as a fixed tie down point in place of the lost bottle opener! I'll try to get some pictures later but they worked exactly as I had hoped previously. Highly recommend if you're looking for a solid bracket.
Did you use all four? Would you consider selling me one??
Sponsored