John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I've noticed if in EV and then the engine starts, and your foot is only softly on the brake, the truck can move. Beware of this in tight quarters like drive throughs if you are right on someone's bumper.
Now I stay back half a truck length.
Sponsored

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Had an odd behavior with my hybrid Maverick the other day and wanted to see if I am the only one.

Where I park is a slow speed zone (30km/h) so when I get in the truck, I have a few hundred meters of electric running in the morning before I hit a small hill and the gas motor usually fires up when I am on the hill. I have noticed that when the gas motor fires up for the 1st time on a trip it usually runs about 3 minutes. I assume this is to charge the battery and get the engine warmed up.

What happened was I was sitting at the red light at the top of the hill with the gas engine running and the truck kept trying to lurch forward. Basically it felt like letting the clutch out on a stick shift car. I kept pressing the brake harder and harder to keep the truck from moving and it didn't move but it sure wanted to.

I chalked it up to a one off event but I am noticing it more and more these days. The first time I stop after the first time the gas engine is running, it seems like it is pulling against the brakes. After the first stop, it doesn't seem to do it, but then again the gas motor isn't usually running when I stop after that.

Anyone else seen this behavior?
It's also because in the first 3-5 minutes the truck is running in high idle to warm up, after that it's in regular idle or no idle at all.

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I notice the regen disengages and the brakes bite harder round 3mph which may be what youre talking about. I just assumed that was a hybrid thing that hasnt been worked out yet. Brakes are pretty touchy rolling to a stop. There was a software mitigation for that but its still there.

My issue is at a dead stop when the ICE is on. Its just a nudge forward like the ecvt pushed power to the wheels but the brakes stopped the truck from moving. I dont notice it when the ICE is off at a stop.
No, I am talking about that little nudge while at a dead stop. And, again, it only happens the first time I come to a complete stop and very early in my journey, like the first 20 yards.

MavArea51

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick 1st Edition Lariat - Area51 loaded
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Had an odd behavior with my hybrid Maverick the other day and wanted to see if I am the only one.

Where I park is a slow speed zone (30km/h) so when I get in the truck, I have a few hundred meters of electric running in the morning before I hit a small hill and the gas motor usually fires up when I am on the hill. I have noticed that when the gas motor fires up for the 1st time on a trip it usually runs about 3 minutes. I assume this is to charge the battery and get the engine warmed up.

What happened was I was sitting at the red light at the top of the hill with the gas engine running and the truck kept trying to lurch forward. Basically it felt like letting the clutch out on a stick shift car. I kept pressing the brake harder and harder to keep the truck from moving and it didn't move but it sure wanted to.

I chalked it up to a one off event but I am noticing it more and more these days. The first time I stop after the first time the gas engine is running, it seems like it is pulling against the brakes. After the first stop, it doesn't seem to do it, but then again the gas motor isn't usually running when I stop after that.

Anyone else seen this behavior?
Ours surges especially in a drive through and you have to press hard on the brake looking like an idiot. Also the electric drivetrain is loud at low speed and clinks sometimes. AT idle I hear a noise like the coupler is grinding so we are taking ours in.

MortyHooper

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Matrix
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No, I am talking about that little nudge while at a dead stop. And, again, it only happens the first time I come to a complete stop and very early in my journey, like the first 20 yards.
My 2023 hybrid does exactly this, it started last week. It is when I leave work, the first stop after ICE engages, maybe 100m outside my work parking. It is disconcerting feeling as you can feel it wanting to move forward.

Sponsored

skinnyboy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius V
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just to weigh in after reading the litany (sadly) of threads regarding shuddering and now the surging while stopped issues. IIRC both GPSMan and MortyHooper have trucks that have notable shuddering while decelerating issues, and now the surging while stopped.

I have experienced both failures, once each, so a mild (touch wood) case compared to what some members have experienced.

It would seem likely that these issues would have the same root cause, given the commonality seen. I'm guessing it is a sensor (or a couple) sending values out of range under certain conditions, but the software isn't set up to throw a code under the circumstances. (Which is surprising given that the it seems to send warning messages for every damn thing under the sun.)

Could also be a PCM problem (seen production issues on modules, as a Ford Electonics robotics tech., that can slip through QC).

My hope is that Ford identifies the component issue (if that's what it is) and sorts this out soon. PITA, but getting the failing vehicles back to the dealer should help expedite this.

Shame to have the roll out of such an interesting vehicle overshadowed by these circumstances.

Cheers.

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My 2023 hybrid does exactly this, it started last week. It is when I leave work, the first stop after ICE engages, maybe 100m outside my work parking. It is disconcerting feeling as you can feel it wanting to move forward.
Yep, exactly. Just doesn't feel like all is well and good.

azmotoxxx

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If anyone finds a solution please let me know. Mine is a 2022 hybrid and it’s hard to stop when going slow…brakes get harder to push and then it stops fast under 5 mph range. Like someone that sucks at driving. It’s annoying as hell. Not sure what the shuddering feels like?

Maverick2023

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If anyone finds a solution please let me know. Mine is a 2022 hybrid and it’s hard to stop when going slow…brakes get harder to push and then it stops fast under 5 mph range. Like someone that sucks at driving. It’s annoying as hell. Not sure what the shuddering feels like?
there's a tsb out for it. Make an appt with your local dealer to fix it.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Mine did this yesterday, when cold, when charging at fast idle.

I was in a parking lot with pedestrians and wanted to "creep" along at 2 or 3 or 4 MPH.

Had to ride the brake. Unbridled idle would have been too fast.

Truck would "surge" like a galloping horse.

Part of the problem is:
3mph and under is all hydraulic brakes.
Above 3mph it wants to release the hydraulic and utilize regenerative brakes.

Sponsored

Scupking

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have started noticing this with mine. I will be at a stop light and feels like the truck is trying to surg foward somtimes. It's an odd feeling.

azmotoxxx

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Do you know the TSB #? Called the dealer and they could not find anything about related to my Hybrid relating to this sort of issue. Thanks!

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
Undecided
I have started noticing this with mine. I will be at a stop light and feels like the truck is trying to surg foward somtimes. It's an odd feeling.
Hi there! I'd like to look into things for you. Feel free to send over a private message with your VIN and dealership information at your earliest convenience.

azmotoxxx

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hey Ford, do you have the TSB for the Ford Maverick when it surges and the brakes are super sensitive at low speeds? My truck is a hybrid and it’s done this since I bought it. I can provide the VIN. Thanks, Wes

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hey Ford, do you have the TSB for the Ford Maverick when it surges and the brakes are super sensitive at low speeds?
The latter, at least, is covered by 23-2060.
Sponsored