First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger xlt
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Factory Bedliner is done over paint without proper prep, and doesn’t get an area near the bottom of the tailgate that is prone to wear. Aftermarket is actually the way to go in this case for a higher quality job. There is a video on YouTube where a Ford factory spray in job is peeled off with relative ease in prep for a proper spray-in liner. For most people the difference is pretty negligible, but there is a difference.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Vulcan9988

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Let's not forget the impact on the warranty. You're buying a brand-new truck with a 3 year, 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. Do you want the warranty to include the bed-liner and the bed? Or do you want to immediately void the warranty on the bed by having someone sand off the paint and apply something else? For me, if an option is available as part of the ordering process, I'd rather get it that way than tampering with the truck after delivery.
Good point I hadnt thought about that, that pretty much sways my vote to sticking with the ford spray in. Thank you!

motoretro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subie
I have a Line-x dealer who will work with you and is very critical on lay-out and over spray. If you indicate some problem spots of typical heavy wear, he will gladly address them with a few more passes, building up the material. While the factory warranty is fine, just how are problem areas or defects addressed? They can't really send it back to the factory in Mexico for touching up or a re-spray. My guess is they'll send it out to a local sprayer. My Son has had all his trucks Line-X'ed and I've looked them over w/ a critical eye, I was impressed which is seldom the case.

OP
OP

Vulcan9988

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
I have a Line-x dealer who will work with you and is very critical on lay-out and over spray. If you indicate some problem spots of typical heavy wear, he will gladly address them with a few more passes, building up the material. While the factory warranty is fine, just how are problem areas or defects addressed? They can't really send it back to the factory in Mexico for touching up or a re-spray. My guess is they'll send it out to a local sprayer. My Son has had all his trucks Line-X'ed and I've looked them over w/ a critical eye, I was impressed which is seldom the case.
Any idea how much extra the colored sprays cost?

motoretro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subie
Any idea how much extra the colored sprays cost?
Sorry, can't help you there. My son had (3) different Dodge Dakotas, Blue, Silver and Black, all were sprayed with Black Line-x. Next time I'm across town, I'll stop and get a price and colors for Maverick.

Sponsored

fishinmagician

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 maverick hybrid XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Let's not forget the impact on the warranty. You're buying a brand-new truck with a 3 year, 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. Do you want the warranty to include the bed-liner and the bed? Or do you want to immediately void the warranty on the bed by having someone sand off the paint and apply something else? For me, if an option is available as part of the ordering process, I'd rather get it that way than tampering with the truck after delivery.
Factory warranty is 3 year/36000 mile. Line x warranty is lifetime

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not gunna lie. That looks amazing.
At first, yes, but coworker did that in black to his truck back in the day, don't know what liner he used, and problem was that it fades over time particularly on horizontal surfaces. Resale value also takes a huge hit.

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
Nearly killed us finding out our 1 week old F-150 was going get all the brand new shiny bed paint ground off!
I don't see a problem with that. I'd think you'd nearly kill the Line-X dealer if your several-hundred-dollar bed liner job peels because the factory paint lifted off the bed.

Or do you want to immediately void the warranty on the bed by having someone sand off the paint and apply something else?
As a former dealership mechanic (not for Ford), I have a hard time thinking of an otherwise warrantable concern that we'd pin on an aftermarket spray-in bed liner. Only thing that I can think of at the moment is rust perforation if water got under the liner. Even then, I'd think it's a stretch for that to happen within the perforation warranty, which is usually 5 years/unlimited miles.

Now the number of warranty claims denied due to aftermarket tinted windows I couldn't even count. Typical cases I've seen are adhesive gums up the track assemblies or the windows get knocked out of adjustment. Those problems cause issues with the windows rattling in various positions, rolling up or down noticeably tilted, or the power window motors get strained and draw too much electricity, which causes a bunch of other weird problems.

Technically, adjustments are covered for 12 months or 12,000 miles. But if we see aftermarket tinted windows, adjustments on the windows are denied because it cannot be ruled as a manufacturing defect. It's like getting a lift/lowering kit and taking the car back to the dealer because the alignment is no longer within spec.

Aftermarket is actually the way to go in this case for a higher quality job.
I agree.

If you indicate some problem spots of typical heavy wear, he will gladly address them with a few more passes, building up the material. While the factory warranty is fine, just how are problem areas or defects addressed? They can't really send it back to the factory in Mexico for touching up or a re-spray.
Same experience here. The Line-X guy I went to sprayed my bed to at least 3/16" with the high-wear spots (raised parts of the tailgate and ridges) to at least 0.20". I say "at least" because the material naturally settles in the low and flat spots and thins out on the high spots, which are also usually the highest-wearing.

The standard Line-X thickness is 1/8", while OEM spray-ins are usually 1/16" to 1/8". My Frontier's OEM spray-in bed liner is 0.08" at the thinnest spot I measured.

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lexus ES300h Ultra Luxury
I found some attrictive job of coating whole car in line-x. Maybe I will do that after several years.
9cmax86H.jpg
A co-worker bought a brand new Jeep and had it delivered somewhere in Texas and they completely covered it with a Desert Sand colored Line-X type coating. The whole Jeep was upgraded and from tires to antenna. It really looked great and was easy to keep clean. Definitely no polishing required.

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My understanding is thats something that would get done at the dealer and i would be willing to bet money that the people who work at line-x have better skills then the guys at the ford dealership so im not worried about over spray. I can check on that though.
Aloha, I do believe ford is subbing out the bedliner for the Mavrick
Sponsored