Sponsored

Spray in bedliner vs tailgate liner kit

• Thread starter Deleted member 23340
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1

Deleted member 23340

Trying to determine whether or not I should buy the tailgate liner kit. Currently I do not have a spray in bed liner. I do have a horse mat that is cut to fit in the bed, but that's it.

When getting a spray in bedliner, does that usually include the tailgate? If it does, would it be cheaper to forego the tailgate spray in and buy the tailgate liner kit instead ($75)?

Ford Maverick Spray in bedliner vs tailgate liner kit Screenshot_20230411-232739__01
Sponsored

athertonbt

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL EB FWD Carb Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Tailgate was included in the prices I got when I called around for quotes. I ended up going with the modular bedliner myself. You'd have to call your local shops and see if it would be worth it...every place I called based the price on the length of the bed, but idk if they'd take more than $75 off to skip the tailgate. Might be 6 of one, half dozen of the other on that.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23340

Tailgate was included in the prices I got when I called around for quotes. I ended up going with the modular bedliner myself. You'd have to call your local shops and see if it would be worth it...every place I called based the price on the length of the bed, but idk if they'd take more than $75 off to skip the tailgate. Might be 6 of one, half dozen of the other on that.
The problem is I definitely want something to line my tailgate right now, and I have the horse mat for bed protection for now. But I'm not sure I want to do the spray in bed liner. I definitely don't want to buy the tailgate liner and then have to double pay for spraying it as well. That's the main reason for my question.

KdeB

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT, 2018 Subaru Forester, 1966 MGB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Well, it’s all about what decisions you want to make, isn’t it?

Sounds like what’s important to you now is getting tailgate protection, right? Since you already have the bed covered with the horse mat.

So 
 Go ahead and get the tailgate liner now, if you want. If you decide to go with the spray-in bed liner later, and are happy with the tailgate piece you got, then just tell the spray-in people to not spray the tailgate. They may or may not give you a price break.

Or — what I’d probably do in that situation — have the tailgate sprayed along with the rest of the bed when you’re ready, and sell the tailgate protector to someone else.

Another possible consideration — just to make your decision more complicated — is that with a spray-in job you can have the whole tailgate covered — even around the edges.

There are a couple of threads on this topic, but although apparently the factory spray-in liner job does NOT cover the tailgate edges, some people have recommended having that done, for better protection.

So when we had a local Line-X shop do it, we specified the whole tailgate to be covered 
 and we’re very happy with it.

In any case, if you’re buying the tailgate protector, don’t buy from Ford Accessories unless you’re using points. You can get it cheaper elsewhere — do a search for the part number.

https://ford.oempartsonline.com/oem-parts/ford-liner-load-compartment-nz6z9900038c

Ford Maverick Spray in bedliner vs tailgate liner kit 85730A7D-8398-418B-B69F-9F0EB0AF23FE

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 23340

Well, it’s all about what decisions you want to make, isn’t it?

Sounds like what’s important to you now is getting tailgate protection, right? Since you already have the bed covered with the horse mat.

So 
 Go ahead and get the tailgate liner now, if you want. If you decide to go with the spray-in bed liner later, and are happy with the tailgate piece you got, then just tell the spray-in people to not spray the tailgate. They may or may not give you a price break.

Or — what I’d probably do in that situation — have the tailgate sprayed along with the rest of the bed when you’re ready, and sell the tailgate protector to someone else.

Another possible consideration — just to make your decision more complicated — is that with a spray-in job you can have the whole tailgate covered — even around the edges.

There are a couple of threads on this topic, but although apparently the factory spray-in liner job does NOT cover the tailgate edges, some people have recommended having that done, for better protection.

So when we had a local Line-X shop do it, we specified the whole tailgate to be covered 
 and we’re very happy with it.

In any case, if you’re buying the tailgate protector, don’t buy from Ford Accessories unless you’re using points. You can get it cheaper elsewhere — do a search for the part number.

https://ford.oempartsonline.com/oem-parts/ford-liner-load-compartment-nz6z9900038c

85730A7D-8398-418B-B69F-9F0EB0AF23FE.jpeg
That was quite a thorough reply. I wouldn't want to go through the headache of reselling a $75 part. Just have to decide whether I want to get it and forgo a spray in tailgate, or hold off on buying it and actually spray in everything. My post was to find out if anybody knew the price difference, but so far it sounds like it varies. I don't use my truck for off-roading or country stuff or hauling... So a spray in bed liner is kind of last on my list

Sponsored

KdeB

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT, 2018 Subaru Forester, 1966 MGB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Yeah, guess to really know you’d have to get an estimate from your local spray-in bedliner outfit, both with and without doing the tailgate.

They might give you a small price break without the tailgate, or they might not. Gotta believe they don‘t get too many requests not to do the tailgate.

Maverickent

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

It's highly likely that the shop that did mine will not give a price break for not doing the tailgate. I say that because They charged me the same for my Maverick as any other truck. I kindly asked him why a small box would be the same as my f150. He said it's because the labor is the same and there's not much difference in the amount of material used. It was over $500, but he did an excellent job and I'm happy with it. They also guarantee the work.

GTBuzz

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have the Maverick Mat and the tailgate liner to protect the most common bed scratches.

The tailgate liner is very thick (2nd pic) and is great protection for sliding things out of bed. The quality was much better than expected. Looks great as well.

Ford Maverick Spray in bedliner vs tailgate liner kit 20230325_194139

Ford Maverick Spray in bedliner vs tailgate liner kit 20230322_165246

olderbudwiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lincoln Corsair, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Can't imagine having a Pick up type truck and not getting the spray in bed liner. The cost in negeliable over the life of the vehicle.

One nice thing was the rough texture kept items from sliding all over. Not saying items wouldn't move but compared to metal or a hard plastic big difference.

I used line x , a 2010 F150 looks great even now.

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My spray in was $850, included tail gate, he took off all the cubbies and tie downs and put them back on after, and it came out AMAZING.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Deleted member 23340

I have the Maverick Mat and the tailgate liner to protect the most common bed scratches.

The tailgate liner is very thick (2nd pic) and is great protection for sliding things out of bed. The quality was much better than expected. Looks great as well.

20230325_194139.jpg

20230322_165246.jpg
Yeah that's the kind of set up that I'm considering instead of getting a spray in. I already have a horse mat so I don't need the Maverick mat, I would just need the tailgate liner and be done. Would be a lot cheaper that way it seems. I don't need to worry about protecting the sides so much, I don't haul a lot of stuff.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23340

Can't imagine having a Pick up type truck and not getting the spray in bed liner. The cost in negeliable over the life of the vehicle.

One nice thing was the rough texture kept items from sliding all over. Not saying items wouldn't move but compared to metal or a hard plastic big difference.

I used line x , a 2010 F150 looks great even now.
I can't imagine paying $500 for a little bit of texture! That's why I posted to see what benefits would be to get the whole spray in vs just a tailgate liner and my horse mat....cost, purpose, value, etc. The horse mat is very thick and padded, also nothing slides on that. So I'm trying to justify why I would put a hard coat in there instead of just getting a tailgate liner and keeping the horse mat..

OP
OP

Deleted member 23340

My spray in was $850, included tail gate, he took off all the cubbies and tie downs and put them back on after, and it came out AMAZING.
I'm glad you're happy with that but there's no way I'd spend that much for it!

olderbudwiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lincoln Corsair, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I can't imagine paying $500 for a little bit of texture! That's why I posted to see what benefits would be to get the whole spray in vs just a tailgate liner and my horse mat....cost, purpose, value, etc. The horse mat is very thick and padded, also nothing slides on that. So I'm trying to justify why I would put a hard coat in there instead of just getting a tailgate liner and keeping the horse mat..
$500 for a spray in bed liner money well spent. If you are going to only keep it year or two thats different. I have 13 years so far on my $600.00 line x that's $46 dollars a year. A bargain to me.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23340

$500 for a spray in bed liner money well spent. If you are going to only keep it year or two thats different. I have 13 years so far on my $600.00 line x that's $46 dollars a year. A bargain to me.
I won't use the bed for much beyond groceries and random furniture moving. So it's not necessary feature for me. My truck is a street truck, will never see off-roading or mudding kind of things. If I can do a $55 horse mat and $75 tailgate liner, that's less than a quarter of the cost for the same purpose.

I don't know if I'll keep this truck for 1 year or 10 years. I planned on keeping the last one for a long time but traded it in for a $6k profit and got a new one. So I could do the same thing next year, or have this one for 10 years.
Sponsored