Sponsored

Sold my Hybrid Mav, now moving to this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was supposed to buy a BOLT a few weeks ago, watched a video on its cooling/heating of the systems and went "ouch". Very complicated.

I can't afford a New Tesla, heck, its hard to buy a used one (decent) for $50,000.

I had a lot of complaints about the Maverick. Outside of the decent MPG's and low price I see no real value in it.

I decided instead to buy a Tesla with some very mild front end damage for $29,000... I already knew Tesla did a good job cooling/heating their systems but I knew I needed to know more (since this system was the only thing damaged in the accident).

This video does a excelling job on showing why Ford misses the mark often.

Its why my Hybrid would put 10% of the HV battery back INTO the HV battery via the ICE while going UP my driveway.

Its why rain poors in the back doors when you open them.

Its why the infotainment system is glitchy.

Its why Felt is used in the inner fender wells/underneath (and yes Tesla uses solid plastic).

Its why the Lighting uses resistance heating (pretty sure the MachE does as well), while Telsa uses the electric motors heat to warm the HV battery (when cold).

One is good management.

What they don't cover in this is the nightmare these hoses will present in 5 years. Chaffing, dry rot, etc etc. You go in to fix one hose, next thing you know you have to replace them all..ouch.

If you need a cheap decent MPG truck I get buying it...

Otherwise you should stay clear of it, and, imo, Ford.

We should expect better from companies, and I give credit to building a decent MPG truck, but even after 6 months the plastic on mine was turning white.... Its just not made to last.

Are Tesla's perfect? no. But if I had $55,000 to blow I could buy a brand new Model Y off their web site today (and have it in a week!). In 5 years I'd still have a great car.
Give us a post next time you try to haul mulch, firewood, a dresser, an IKEA box, or a ladder in your Tesla. Not to bang on your decision, but comparing the two is apples and oranges.
Sponsored

Sliphorn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You just had to get the Mexican thing in there, didn't ya. I wonder how many Mexicans work on the American assembled Ram 1500 assembly line? Care to venture a guess? Buy and bought? What?

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm Mexican and didn't take offense to your statement at all, but I'm pretty certain there have been just as many quality issues (including two recalls) with the Santa Cruz. This is with Hyundai generally WAY above Ford in reliability rankings, the Santa Cruz being a slightly more expensive vehicle, and it being assembled in Montgomery, Alabama. Your logic in this thread is all over the place.

Rockingchair

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What part of the Maverick compares to the Muskmobile? Tesla costs $$$$$ Maverick costs $$, Tesla has a trunk Maverick has a cargo carrying bed. Tesla is Electric, Maverick is Hybrid and can "recharge" at ANY gas station.

dhill59

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT, 2014 MX5 Club
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I actually have nothing against Tesla's or other EV's - electricity in my part of California is ~33 cents/kWh. It would take me ~five years to reap the savings of not using gas. I know that Tesla in particular has charging stations owners can use a a cheaper rate, but I choose not to spend time waiting for a car to charge.

That being said, I can throw 1000+pounds of stuff in the back of my Hybrid Maverick and drive cross country with minimal 5 minute gas station stops.

Sponsored

OneAlienBoi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was supposed to buy a BOLT a few weeks ago, watched a video on its cooling/heating of the systems and went "ouch". Very complicated.

I can't afford a New Tesla, heck, its hard to buy a used one (decent) for $50,000.

I had a lot of complaints about the Maverick. Outside of the decent MPG's and low price I see no real value in it.

I decided instead to buy a Tesla with some very mild front end damage for $29,000... I already knew Tesla did a good job cooling/heating their systems but I knew I needed to know more (since this system was the only thing damaged in the accident).

Its why my Hybrid would put 10% of the HV battery back INTO the HV battery via the ICE while going UP my driveway.

Its why Felt is used in the inner fender wells/underneath (and yes Tesla uses solid plastic).

Its why the Lighting uses resistance heating (pretty sure the MachE does as well), while Telsa uses the electric motors heat to warm the HV battery (when cold).

One is good management.

What they don't cover in this is the nightmare these hoses will present in 5 years. Chaffing, dry rot, etc etc. You go in to fix one hose, next thing you know you have to replace them all..ouch.

We should expect better from companies, and I give credit to building a decent MPG truck, but even after 6 months the plastic on mine was turning white.... Its just not made to last.

Are Tesla's perfect? no. But if I had $55,000 to blow I could buy a brand new Model Y off their web site today (and have it in a week!). In 5 years I'd still have a great car.
I have far more confidence in the longevity of the maverick than in any of Tesla's products. The powertrain in the maverick is extremely proven, Tesla's on the other hand have vids of brand new Tesla's where the entire sunroof detaches coming home from the dealership and the wheels fall off. I'm an EV fan, just as long as said EV is made by ford, or another legacy brand who knows what they're doing.

OneAlienBoi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Even with the standard warranty I'm not worried. Ford has a stellar reputation for making reliable trucks, and reliable hybrids. Not to seem pissy, but if you were going to own something long term, a used Tesla is one of the worst options out there.

Everything on a Tesla will break sooner rather than later. People like to disprove this by showing high mileage Tesla's, but many of those Tesla's with 300-400k on them, but many have had literally dozens of items repaired or replaced. By comparison, looking at high mileage ford hybrids like the escape taxis which have a powertrain virtually identical to the maverick, and after 500k, everything on the powertrain is still original.

Yeah, some of the interior pieces of the maverick are cheap, and plastic. But this literally applies to every single car in the maverick's price point. Sat in a new civic, mostly plastic, Kia soul, mostly plastic, entry level midsized sedans, mostly plastic. Because plastic is a good, cheap and durable material to use for an interior.

Every Toyota, Ford, and Honda we've owned is the same. The interior and some of the tech is mech, but the powertrain is rock solid. For many people, that's all that matters.

OneAlienBoi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Maverick reliability/complaints is a question for you so you buy a wrecked Tesla….um alright.
For real though, good luck
Seriously, it's like going from the frying pan into the fire. Oh, I'm made some people have had issues with things like freezing infotainment screens, so let me buy a brand where the bumpers fall off if it rains, the sunroof starts to come off, and the battery costs 25 grand if I need to replace it. Then buying a wrecked on top of it.

OneAlienBoi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You just had to get the Mexican thing in there, didn't ya. I wonder how many Mexicans work on the American assembled Ram 1500 assembly line? Care to venture a guess? Buy and bought? What?
Not to mention that factory has a great track record with quality, and the robots doing most of the important assembly don't care what country they're in. They perform at the same quality in Mexico as they do in Germany, or Japan, or the US.

glider

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 4runner 2019 Honda civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

One is good management.

Tesla? Bad choice IMO

Sponsored

jesemd

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The video does indeed show that Ford needs to get their engineers thinking about simplicity, and I'm not defending that abomination of spaghetti mess. I will say that it seems that when something fails, the Tesla will require an expensive assembly to be replaced, where the Ford might just require a single part to be replaced at a much lower cost.

bearsfan647

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EBike - Future Ford Maverick!
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’d ride a unicycle everywhere before I ever drove a POS Tesla.

cavemold

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022 Eco 2.0
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don’t understand why you would buy damaged car. But ok .

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

One is good management.

Tell us how you really feel about the Maverick😵💫
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.