First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Hybrid, Corolla Hybrid
Engine
Undecided
Due to odd circumstances we ended up purchasing two very different Hybrid vehicles in 2022 so here is a comparison between them. Note that the Corolla is a basic LE unit vs. a tricked out Mav so some comparisons are not apples to apples.

Power and pickup:
The hybrid Mav has it all over the Corolla. The Maverick is way ahead in power and acceleration.

Handling and cornering:
The Corolla wins here easily. Corners the twisty roads nicely and as it is a small vehicle parks easily and better turning radius (car vs truck so no surprise here)
The Corolla also does not feel the road bumps as much. The Corolla has very low ground clearance vs the Maverick and you have to be careful not to bottom out in ruts or bumps.

Hybrid funtionality:
-Corolla is much easier to keep in electric mode. The Maverick really has to be babied in comparison.
-The Corolla also has much better displays on battery capacity, charging, and hybrid use. It also has a real Tachometer when the gas engine is activated vs a overall POWER usage display on the Mav.
- The Maverick battery regen is odd in that you have to touch the gas a little going down gradual grades as the regen process feels like strong engine braking and really slows the truck. The Corolla on the other hand coasts downhill very easily while charging.

Buttons and knobs:
The Corolla wins here as the buttons / screen is a little more intuitive to use. This is subjective. The Corolla has a shift handle instead of the odd rotary shift knob.

Road Noise:
The Maverick wins here as there is much less road noise in the interior.

Backup Camera:
Maverick wins here as you get a direction turning line which is missing on the Corolla

Lane Keeping assist and safety controls:
Maverick wins here: does a better job of keeping the truck centered in the lane instead of slowly drifting back and forth. Also has cross traffic alert and blind spot monitoring. The upgraded Corolla which would also have those features,

Sound system:
Maveric wins with the great B&O sound system over the base Corolla ( I put new door speakers in the Corolla which improved it but it is still not as good).

Gas mileage:
While the Maverick is great for a truck at 43 mpg average in our suburban / rural driving, the Corolla
is getting 64 mpg average. This is a real gat filling average as both vehicles were a little optimistic in their gas mileage estimates. The truck is just much heavier so this is to be expected. Also suspect the Corolla tech is a little more advanced (see Hybrid Functionality above).

Interior Utility & Comfort:
Maverick wins here: all of the interior storage spots are great and under seat rear storage - sparce storage spaces on the Toyota.
Seat comfort is better on the Maverick. The Maverick has many more features: heated seats, heated steering wheel, etc. as this is the LUX version vs the stripped down Corolla LE model.

Paint:
Found the paint of the Corolla to be very soft and easy to scratch and chip. Have not had the problem on the Maverick yet.

Overall Utility:
The Maverick wins here easily - it is a truck. Hauls everything from fertilizer to firewood in addition to 5 people. Pulls my utility trailer.

Conclusion:
If I had to go with just one vehicle it would be the Maverick. Glad we have both. I get the Maverick and my wife gets the Corolla.
Sponsored

Jmav2152

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Mav, 15' KTM 1190 ADV R, 19' Husq TE250i
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You are going to get dragged for saying your maverick paint is holding up. That's just not acceptable behavior.

/s

My1stFord

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for taking the time to write this. It's appreciated.

cavemold

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022 Eco 2.0
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Due to odd circumstances we ended up purchasing two very different Hybrid vehicles in 2022 so here is a comparison between them. Note that the Corolla is a basic LE unit vs. a tricked out Mav so some comparisons are not apples to apples.

Power and pickup:
The hybrid Mav has it all over the Corolla. The Maverick is way ahead in power and acceleration.

Handling and cornering:
The Corolla wins here easily. Corners the twisty roads nicely and as it is a small vehicle parks easily and better turning radius (car vs truck so no surprise here)
The Corolla also does not feel the road bumps as much. The Corolla has very low ground clearance vs the Maverick and you have to be careful not to bottom out in ruts or bumps.

Hybrid funtionality:
-Corolla is much easier to keep in electric mode. The Maverick really has to be babied in comparison.
-The Corolla also has much better displays on battery capacity, charging, and hybrid use. It also has a real Tachometer when the gas engine is activated vs a overall POWER usage display on the Mav.
- The Maverick battery regen is odd in that you have to touch the gas a little going down gradual grades as the regen process feels like strong engine braking and really slows the truck. The Corolla on the other hand coasts downhill very easily while charging.

Buttons and knobs:
The Corolla wins here as the buttons / screen is a little more intuitive to use. This is subjective. The Corolla has a shift handle instead of the odd rotary shift knob.

Road Noise:

Backup Camera:
Maverick wins here as you get a direction turning line which is missing on the Corolla

Maverick wins here: does a better job of keeping the truck centered in the lane instead of slowly drifting back and forth. Also has cross traffic alert and blind spot monitoring. The upgraded Corolla which would also have those features,

Sound system:
Maveric wins with the great B&O sound system over the base Corolla ( I put new door speakers in the Corolla which improved it but it is still not as good).

Gas mileage:
While the Maverick is great for a truck at 43 mpg average in our suburban / rural driving, the Corolla
is getting 64 mpg average. This is a real gat filling average as both vehicles were a little optimistic in their gas mileage estimates. The truck is just much heavier so this is to be expected. Also suspect the Corolla tech is a little more advanced (see Hybrid Functionality above).

Maverick wins here: all of the interior storage spots are great and under seat rear storage - sparce storage spaces on the Toyota.
Seat comfort is better on the Maverick. The Maverick has many more features: heated seats, heated steering wheel, etc. as this is the LUX version vs the stripped down Corolla LE model.

Paint:
Found the paint of the Corolla to be very soft and easy to scratch and chip. Have not had the problem on the Maverick yet.

Overall Utility:
The Maverick wins here easily - it is a truck. Hauls everything from fertilizer to firewood in addition to 5 people. Pulls my utility trailer.

Conclusion:
If I had to go with just one vehicle it would be the Maverick. Glad we have both. I get the Maverick and my wife gets the Corolla.
excellent review thanks

olderbudwiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lincoln Corsair, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
nice concise comparison

Thank you

Sponsored

glpuckett

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick FE Rapid Red 2.5L Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Regarding the Corolla paint, I would agree! My son's 2014 Corolla Sport has paint flaking / peeling off in large chunks (roof, hood & trunk). It is so bad the entire car will need to be repainted! I looked this up and apparently it's not uncommon as was the radio failing. It just died and wasn't covered, dealer wanted $1K. Replaced with aftermarket 2DIN touch screen, I've never had a car with these types of failures!!

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What drive mode are you typically using on the Maverick? Because that affects how much off-throttle regen is applied. Normal < Slippery < Eco < Low.

OP
OP

Comet

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Hybrid, Corolla Hybrid
Engine
Undecided
What drive mode are you typically using on the Maverick? Because that affects how much off-throttle regen is applied. Normal < Slippery < Eco < Low.
I run in Normal mode 99% of the time. Did not see much difference when I ran in Eco mode so I stopped using it.

OpieGoneBad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid, 2023 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Power and pickup:

Handling and cornering:

Hybrid funtionality:

Buttons and knobs:

Road Noise:

Backup Camera:

Sound system:

Gas mileage:

Paint:

Overall Utility:

Conclusion:
We seriously thought about getting the Corolla for my wife. After she drove my Maverick a few times and saw the gas mileage I was getting, we decided to order another Maverick for her. Just got my email letting me know it should be delivered between Jan 2 - 8.

Nothing against the Corolla but my personal history with Toyota has not been good. I bought a new 2005 Tundra and almost immediately started having rust problems. Unfortunately they weren't bad enough at the time of the recall to force a frame replacement but just the stupid spray coating so that truck was always a problem. The frame rusted out, every brake line rotted out, steering rotted out, brakes rotted out, you get the picture. After how Toyota treated me regarding that truck, I am very reluctant to ever buy another Toyota. After all, what good is a drive train/engine that will get 300K miles on a vehicle that rusts out in under 100K miles? I sold it last year with only 72K miles (yes, a 16 year old Tundra with only 72K miles) and it took a lot of welding and repairs to make it get through another inspection.

I generally am NOT an American made vehicle buyer. This is the first Ford I have purchase ever and the first American vehicle I have purchased in over 20 years. I hope it doesn't let me down as it is exactly what I wanted in a vehicle. My big truck days are over.

MinntoMich

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Erick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S10, Renegade, Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I thought 64 miles per gallon was unrealistic in any hybrid until I drove my father's late model Camry hybrid and achieved the same figure traveling on a four lane at 60 mph. I've nearly always gotten better than advertised MPG by driving smartly with any vehicle I've owned but that high mileage potential and the low price point is what really sold me on the Maverick.

Sponsored

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

How dare you compare a Maverick to a Corolla!?!? Don't you know that's not allowed!?!?

People told me I couldn't compare a Maverick to a Rivian and they are both trucks of nearly the same size!

Prepare to be banished to hell for all eternity!

(Of course I'm joking and making fun of the "other" silliness.)

Taxman100

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If my 2023 Ford Maverick hybrid order looks dicey come early spring, I'm going to get put on the list with the most reputable Toyota dealership in the market for a Corolla FWD hybrid.

I'll keep my Maverick order, but if they cannot build it for the 2023 model year, I just won't roll/resubmit for a 2024.

I was hoping to use the Maverick to replace two cards - my beater commuter car, and our minivan as well now that the kids are older. However, both my wife and kids are in love with the van.

iwanttruck

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Maverick unfortunately
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If my 2023 Ford Maverick hybrid order looks dicey come early spring, I'm going to get put on the list with the most reputable Toyota dealership in the market for a Corolla FWD hybrid.

I'll keep my Maverick order, but if they cannot build it for the 2023 model year, I just won't roll/resubmit for a 2024.

I was hoping to use the Maverick to replace two cards - my beater commuter car, and our minivan as well now that the kids are older. However, both my wife and kids are in love with the van.

I'm a few months a head of you. Just got word yesterday my local Toyota dealer (advertise no market adjustments) is getting in a 23 Hybrid Corolla LE with the Premium Package. Put in my deposit last night and will pick it up later this month. I put my name on their list about 40 days ago.

If my XLT Hybrid Maverick ever gets built I am 50/50 on whether I keep it and sell the van (2011 Odyssey with 160k mi) or make some money by selling the Maverick.

Mike215

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thank you for sharing this. I have an XLT Maverick but my daughter is waiting for her Corolla hybrid so she will be thrilled with the mpgs.
Sponsored