First Name
SolidWrecks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid Lariat Lux
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If I put a small 20 watt solar panel on my maverick hybrid, would that allow me to park for months without worries?
Sponsored

Sponsored

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have one that plugs into the 12v outlet in my old mazda. When last winter was at it's coldest, the battery was starting to labor a bit. Once I started leaving that thing plugged in all the time it always started fine. It's getting sold to buy the mav when it comes in and I don't want to dump any more money into it.

14mustangNJ

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4, 2014 Ford Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have a battery tender solar trickle charger, it works well for a vehicle that sits a lot but still moves at least once a month from my experience. I had a Jeep Wrangler that would sit 1-3 weeks at a time and the battery stayed charged because of that solar charger.

Would I count on it for something sitting months at a time? Probably not

OP
OP

SolidWrecks

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
SolidWrecks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid Lariat Lux
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't want to deep cycle the starting battery if I can help it. Those are some cool options. I wonder if the 12v is on a relay.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Months without moving vehicles usually isn't good for them though in general. Fuel gets old, lubrication settles, things start to rust, whereas moving around a bit does the opposite and cleans up those rotors and everything. Also, any reason it has to be solar? Trickle chargers on AC power are a dime a dozen, and then ideally you can park it out of the elements and harmful UV rays.

Rivers90

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Tremor, Xterra, Miata
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I don't want to deep cycle the starting battery if I can help it. Those are some cool options. I wonder if the 12v is on a relay.
The 12v is on a relay so you would need to wire it to the battery.
Get a name brand battery charger controller. The off brand ones don't really work from my experience.

Sponsored

Rivers90

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Tremor, Xterra, Miata
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Months without moving vehicles usually isn't good for them though in general. Fuel gets old, lubrication settles, things start to rust, whereas moving around a bit does the opposite and cleans up those rotors and everything. Also, any reason it has to be solar? Trickle chargers on AC power are a dime a dozen, and then ideally you can park it out of the elements and harmful UV rays.
I use a wall powered battery minder for a vehicle that will end up sitting all winter. The "Battery Minder" works great. I have used them on cars and motorcycles.

Espeer

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 focus, 2003 expedition
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a battery tender solar trickle charger, it works well for a vehicle that sits a lot but still moves at least once a month from my experience. I had a Jeep Wrangler that would sit 1-3 weeks at a time and the battery stayed charged because of that solar charger.

Would I count on it for something sitting months at a time? Probably not
?

If your vehicle can't sit for 1-3 weeks without needing a charger, something is wrong.

Any solar charger should put out enough wattage to more than compensate for electrical leakage.

Tldr: your post makes no sense.

Captain Pork chop

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Chevy Silverado
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
?

If your vehicle can't sit for 1-3 weeks without needing a charger, something is wrong.

Any solar charger should put out enough wattage to more than compensate for electrical leakage.

Tldr: your post makes no sense.
Ford has updates sent to the vehicle which drains the battery. So if it is going to sit. It does make sense.
Sponsored