First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Would it be crazy to install one of these permanently to the 12v battery? Wouldn't be that hard. Mount all hardware behind back seat, run cable to bed or roof. Could probably just use some good magnets to keep solar panel from sliding around. Could this work? What would the downsides or risks be?

Sponsored

pndwind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F450 Amb
Engine
Undecided
Whatā€™s the end goal for this? Iā€™m just trying to understand what is the benefit youā€™re looking for.

OP
OP
mamboman777

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Whatā€™s the end goal for this? Iā€™m just trying to understand what is the benefit youā€™re looking for.
Efficiency. Making sure that the 12v is good to go. Avoiding the deep sleep when it sits for a while.

Maleldil

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid Maverick, Transit Connect
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Donā€™t recommend things sitting for a while.
But that seems like a bit extra hassle than having a emergency jump kit on standby. More uses for the jump kit than the solar panel. More concern would be with the high voltage battery and it sitting for a while. Even with the 12v topped off would have to wait for the HV battery to charge to get your mileage back If the HV drained while sitting.

Adeveda

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Adev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Literal Garbage (AWD)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've long wondered why no one has invested more to spearhead a solar-sipping passive trickle charge to supplement a traditional EV drivetrain. Who cares if its inefficient if you make it known through marketing that its just supplementary? I wouldn't be mad if I only reclaimed 15-20 miles worth of charge while my car sat in the parking lot at at work. That's a free commute home.

The sun has literally never sent me a bill.

Sponsored

RockCity

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape Hybrid, F250
Who cares if its inefficient if you make it known through marketing that its just supplementary? I wouldn't be mad if I only reclaimed 15-20 miles worth of charge while my car sat in the parking lot at at work. That's a free commute home.

Odd way to frame it. If it is inefficient, why would you want it? You will lose more in drag than you will gain in solar. You maybe have never recieved a bill from the department of wind resistance, but trust me, they have charged you.

es7129

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thereā€™s a company that makes hard tri-folds with solar panels embedded.
If you can get it to work if imagine it would be useful as Hyundai has integrated solar panels into the roof of the Sonata hybrid.

Adeveda

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Adev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Odd way to frame it. If it is inefficient, why would you want it? You will lose more in drag than you will gain in solar. You maybe have never recieved a bill from the department of wind resistance, but trust me, they have charged you.
That's a great counterpoint. There is definitely a breakeven point where efficiency and wind resistance trade off. I'm inclined to believe that breakeven can be adjusted handsomely depending on placement/implementation. I think the drag argument as stated overlooks a manfacturer's ability to install a panel seamlessly into the body.

For instance, I don't think it's a stretch to instal a solar panel in place of the moonroof.

TyPope

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tesla Model Y, 2018 Ford F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Elon seems to think that by making the bed cover on the Cybertruck solar, they could add up to 20 miles of range a day.

Adeveda

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Adev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Further, trickle charging is healthier for the longevity of a battery.

Sponsored

Adeveda

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Adev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Elon seems to think that by making the bed cover on the Cybertruck solar, they could add up to 20 miles of range a day.
I have an instinctual hesitation to putting glass on/in/around the truck bed, including the cover. I want to use my truck like the tool its designed to be, and glass is brittle. Even sapphire - that's just scratch resistant. It would still crack, chip, etc. I'm less likely to rest a toolbox or whatever on the roof of my truck than i would onto a bed cover.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Would it be crazy to install one of these permanently to the 12v battery? Wouldn't be that hard. Mount all hardware behind back seat, run cable to bed or roof. Could probably just use some good magnets to keep solar panel from sliding around. Could this work? What would the downsides or risks be?

There is a thread where someone did this. Electrically what he did was the equivalent of plugging a jackery solar generator into the 12v outlet. It will work but it all depends on the charge controller. IIRC if the key was in it the ICE would kick on if the load drained the 12v battery too much.

FYI you can get flexible solar panels that are very flat. I got a kit on ebay for my old car that is designed to keep your 12v battery topped off. It plugs into the 12v outlet. You stick the panel on the dash or wherever it gets the most sun and plug it in. the 12v in the mav switch off after 20 min so you may need to rewire something. My old car had an "always on" 12v outlet that was perfect for it.

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've long wondered why no one has invested more to spearhead a solar-sipping passive trickle charge to supplement a traditional EV drivetrain. Who cares if its inefficient if you make it known through marketing that its just supplementary? I wouldn't be mad if I only reclaimed 15-20 miles worth of charge while my car sat in the parking lot at at work. That's a free commute home.

Fisker cars had that. Panels built into the curved roof. Very good looking cars, they never got the marketing hype of Tesla, and were expensive.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD šŸ˜‰
Engine
2.5L Hybrid