Sponsored

Rear speaker replacement - don't bother!

timhNorCal

2.5L Hybrid
Member
First Name
Tim
Joined
Jun 13, 2025
Threads
6
Messages
15
Reaction score
40
Location
Petaluma, CA
Vehicle(s)
2025 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
2025 Hybrid XLT that I *mostly* like. What I couldn't stand though was the stock sound system, brutal. I first swapped out the front door speakers and noticed a huge difference.

Today I finally decided to tackle the rears, and after two hours, a couple busted panel clips (not the little white plastic pieces, the actual panel protrusions, unfortunately), and a lot of bloody knuckles, I got everything back in and working. And let me tell ya...they suck lol. Definitely more clear than the OE ones, but zero bass or midrange. To be expected I suppose as it's only a 4" speaker, and it's the stock head unit with no amplifier...but I guess I was still hoping for a little more.

Moral of the story, if you're not doing an amp (and maybe that wouldn't even matter), just skip the rears.
Sponsored

 
Last edited:

Platinum2

2.0L EcoBoost
Well-known member
Joined
Jul 29, 2021
Threads
8
Messages
599
Reaction score
988
Location
MI
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What did you put in the fronts?
 

Hansolo

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
First Name
Eric
Joined
Sep 20, 2022
Threads
2
Messages
100
Reaction score
189
Location
Oregon
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I squeezed in some 4X6 coaxial speakers and they aren’t that great either. It’s just fill in for the upgraded front component speakers with a PUZU plug and play amp and a dedicated 10” subwoofer with its own dedicated amp .
 

mspmms

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
First Name
'MERICA 😎 A gulf is named after it ---> and now a lake too!
Joined
Nov 9, 2021
Threads
5
Messages
7,727
Reaction score
17,953
Location
U.S.A. Indianapolis, Indiana (Downtown Indy)
Vehicle(s)
2022 XL Ford Maverick 🇺🇸
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs
 
... just skip the rears.
:unsure: That is the conclusion I made after reading multiple threads here at MTC.

Here is what I did:

Installed a Puzu DSP Amp PZ-C7 which I placed under the front passenger seat - I Velcro-ed it to the floor.

I installed the Infinity REF-6532IX's with sound deadener in both doors.

Because I have a XL Hybrid Maverick the Rockville RW68CA subwoofer installation was pretty simple with the under-seat battery. I placed it in the driver's left side rear seat storage compartment that I lined with sound deadener including removal of the entire lower plastic shell of the passenger seat compartment with additional foam sound deadener throughout the underside of its frame.
 
Last edited:

Sponsored

Cancunbadlands

2.0L EcoBoost
Well-known member
First Name
Cancun
Joined
Jul 5, 2025
Threads
7
Messages
5,070
Reaction score
5,569
Location
Cancun
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs
 
I squeezed in some 4X6 coaxial speakers and they aren’t that great either. It’s just fill in for the upgraded front component speakers with a PUZU plug and play amp and a dedicated 10” subwoofer with its own dedicated amp .
No B&O?
 

Maverick123

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
Joined
Mar 24, 2025
Threads
36
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
1,951
Location
Canada
Vehicle(s)
25 hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
:unsure: That is the conclusion I made after reading multiple threads here at MTC.

Here is what I did:

Installed a Puzu DSP Amp PZ-C7 which I placed under the front passenger seat - I Velcro-ed it to the floor
That Puzu amp looks like a great value with built-in DSP and crossover, but how hard is it to tune? Do you have to use an RTA, or can you do it easily with a PC and an affordable mic?

Kicker Key is more expensive, but the auto-DSP seems so much easier. I had a Pioneer deck with auto DSP and it worked really well to set the baseline
 

ejouie

2.0L EcoBoost
Well-known member
First Name
Evan
Joined
Sep 21, 2022
Threads
10
Messages
400
Reaction score
504
Location
Newnan, GA
Vehicle(s)
'23 Ford Maverick, Atlas Blue, FWD, EcoBoost, XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs
 
I found out that I couldn't stand the ~3.5khz frequencies bouncing off the windshield from the front. It brought on listening fatigue quickly. I stomped on those in the PUZU (-20db) for the front channels.

Those frequencies from rear speakers didn't bother me so I now have those filling in that hole. 4" with a tweeter is very capable for that task.

I have a sub to install for the lows. The 6.5's in the door don't have enough power to do that end of the EQ justice. If they did, I'd probably just have a bunch of rattle noise too.
 

Maverick123

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
Joined
Mar 24, 2025
Threads
36
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
1,951
Location
Canada
Vehicle(s)
25 hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I found out that I couldn't stand the ~3.5khz frequencies bouncing off the windshield from the front. It brought on listening fatigue quickly. I stomped on those in the PUZU (-20db) for the front channels.

Those frequencies from rear speakers didn't bother me so I now have those filling in that hole. 4" with a tweeter is very capable for that task.

I have a sub to install for the lows. The 6.5's in the door don't have enough power to do that end of the EQ justice. If they did, I'd probably just have a bunch of rattle noise too.
If you ever have passengers in the rear seat, turn the rear channel WAY down! When I rode in the back of mine I noticed real quick that the tinny rear speakers are screaming straight into your ear and it ain't pleasant
 

Msradke

2.0L EcoBoost
Well-known member
First Name
Mark
Joined
Mar 11, 2024
Threads
1
Messages
71
Reaction score
79
Location
Indiana
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I learned a lot when I replaced those speakers. The majority of the sound does not come out thru the grill. I covered the panel with self stick foam sound proofing , cut the hole for the speaker and mounted it. Put a foam speaker protector in the piller and put the panel back. It made a huge difference in the amount of sound output and quality.
For others wanting to pull those panels. Pull the bottom out and get a long pry bar and push up on the tabs to remove them from body thru the larger hole.
 
Sponsored

rick52

2.0L EcoBoost
Well-known member
First Name
Rick
Joined
Apr 9, 2026
Threads
5
Messages
99
Reaction score
204
Vehicle(s)
2026 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you ever have passengers in the rear seat, turn the rear channel WAY down! When I rode in the back of mine I noticed real quick that the tinny rear speakers are screaming straight into your ear and it ain't pleasant
Clearly no thought was given to the rear seat passengers in the placement of those speakers.
 

Steve R

2.5L Hybrid
Member
First Name
Steve
Joined
Sep 26, 2025
Threads
0
Messages
21
Reaction score
19
Location
Cali
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I replaced mine with Kicker 4-inch speakers. I found a YouTube video on adjusting the ACM to flatten the equalizer and give the rear speakers enough power to run both tweeter and woofer. Now they sound great, try it.
 

Steve R

2.5L Hybrid
Member
First Name
Steve
Joined
Sep 26, 2025
Threads
0
Messages
21
Reaction score
19
Location
Cali
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You need to use Forescan to make the adjustments in as-built, but it's very easy to do if you know how to use Forescan
 

Steve R

2.5L Hybrid
Member
First Name
Steve
Joined
Sep 26, 2025
Threads
0
Messages
21
Reaction score
19
Location
Cali
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I agree, my wife has a '21 Escape that has the B&O and it sounds great. But if you replace all four speakers with some quality product and use FORScan for the ACM, you can make it sound almost as good as the B&O.
Sponsored

 
 







Top